NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB 2020-21 Offseason Trades, FA Signings and Changes

10 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

If you are looking for power.

Cron against righties, Bird (for the few games he is healthy) against the lefties? I haven't looked at their splits yet to know if that would make sense. 

Off topic: Rockies still have yet to sign anyone to a major league deal this offseason.

Wouldn't that be the other way around?  Cron against left handers and Bird against right?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

I've always liked Carlos Santana mostly because he is perpetually undervalued.  He's Max Muncy, Matt Olson, Pete Alonso, Luke Voit, Moose, etc without the upside.  What do you save for this lack of up

Not MLB but couldn't resist:

Bartolo Colon has signed a one-year deal with Acereros de Monclova of the Mexican League.

Colon has been trying to get back into MLB-affiliated ball for the last two offseasons -- and had specifically expressed a desire to play for the Mets -- but the interest was apparently one-sided. The 47-year-old last pitched in MLB with the Rangers in 2018, struggling to a 5.78 ERA and 81/25 K/BB ratio in 146 1/3 innings.

Source: Hector Gomez on Twitter              Feb 15, 2021, 7:53 PM ET

Go get 'em, Bartolo!  You got to admit the guy loves playing the game.  And the fun.  Good for him. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Wouldn't that be the other way around?  Cron against left handers and Bird against right?

Bird?  Total wildcard.  Fuentes earned the right to PT at least over Bird.  If Cron is healthy and looks good he's going to seize the role FT imo.

30 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Bird?  Total wildcard.  Fuentes earned the right to PT at least over Bird.  If Cron is healthy and looks good he's going to seize the role FT imo.

Consider me unimpressed with Fuentes, personally.

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

Agree. Imo, Cron is the opening day cleanup hitter and has a shot at 35 homers*

* health permitting 

16 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Kevin Pillar with the Mets, starting CF?

As the roster is constructed now, no. Nimmo is. However, if the league come to an agreement on the DH before the season he would most likely be starting CF as Almora has an option.

Mets get a pitcher that had a comeback season last year:

Andy Martino of SNY.tv reports that the Mets have come to terms on a contract with Taijuan Walker.

It was Martino who reported earlier this week that Walker had emerged as a target for the Mets, and now it appears the two sides have a deal. Joel Sherman of the New York Post says it's a two-year, $20 million contract with a $6 million player option for a third year. Walker hasn't pitched a whole lot the last few years due to injuries, but he was excellent in 2020, holding a 2.70 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, and 50/19 K/BB ratio over 53 1/3 innings between the Mariners and Blue Jays. He's also still just 28, so perhaps there's still a little more there that the Mets can tap into.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter            Feb 19, 2021, 8:08 AM ET

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Mets get a pitcher that had a comeback season last year:

A nice gamble on the Mets part. 

They have the depth and financial resources to weather that deal if he gets hurt and/or under performs. 

Edited by colorado2013

Ian Desmond opts out. Should open up some more opportunities for the young guys assuming they don’t go full Rockies and sign the most washed up vet imaginable.

17 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Ian Desmond opts out. Should open up some more opportunities for the young guys assuming they don’t go full Rockies and sign the most washed up vet imaginable.

He opted out last season too.  I don't think the Rockies even thought about him much for this season anyway.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He opted out last season too.  I don't think the Rockies even thought about him much for this season anyway.

It shows him having a 15 million team option for 2022. I know the Rockies are inept but Desmond knows he had no snowball chance in hell for that.                                           

3 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

They are probably on the phone with Ryan Braun as I type.

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

One of the rare times I just hope they give the veteran (Cron) a chance to run with the 1B job with Desmond out.

45 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I had totally convinced myself they were going to sign Maikel Franco and Villar and ruin everyone’s offseason.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Farewell to Choo.  He had a long and storied career over here:

According to Tae Woo Kim of SPOTV in South Korea, free agent outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has agreed to a contract with the Shinsegae Wyverns of the KBO.

Kim notes that the Shinsegae Wyverns, formerly the SK Wyverns, got a "lukewarm reaction" from Choo when they contacted him about possibly playing for the club at the end of the 2020 MLB season, but obviously things changed as the winter trudged along. He officially signed Tuesday morning -- South Korea time -- on a deal said to be worth $2.4 million. Choo batted just .236 with a .723 OPS in (127 plate appearances last season for the Rangers and turns 39 years old this summer, so the MLB free agent interest was probably limited.

Source: Tae Woo Kim on Twitter                 Feb 22, 2021, 8:51 PM ET

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, sasnumberonefan said:

JBJ to Milwaukee. Not sure what this means, but assume LoCain loses some PT here. Initial thoughts?

I think some sort of deal has to be in the works, if this is true? Only seeing ESPN/the Globe reporting it.

Cain would move to RF and Avi Garcia would be on the pine imo. One of them could be dealt too.

Not a change to the majors yet but some test cases for same in the minors this year:

Minor League Baseball will have new experimental rules at each level.

Each league -- Triple-A, Double-A, High-A and Low-A -- has a new rule. Triple-A will see the widening of the bases from 15 inches square to 18 inches. Double-A has the most controversial and potentially impactful -- a requirement that teams must have four players on the infield, and the potential to require two players to be on each side of second base. High-A will see pitchers required to disengage from the rubber to throw, while Low-A will see a limitation on how many pickoff attempts per batter when runners are on base. These are basically tests to see how they impact the game, and potentially will be implemented in MLB games at some point -- depending on how they go, of course. 

Source: Chelsea Janes on Twitter             Mar 11, 2021, 4:24 PM ET

I wonder if the larger bases will still be set in the same place (meaning that they are now one and a half inches closer to home plate and second base) or if they will be placed in new locations so that the distance from home to first base doesn't change (which would render the change kind of meaningless).