NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB 2020-21 Offseason Trades, FA Signings and Changes

What the Rays are doing is not rocket science, nor do they KNOW Blake Snell is no longer any good. Yes, he had injuries in 2019, then 2020 was not a legitimate season while Snell had to spend 6 weeks getting ramped up, by the end of the season he looked like 2018 Snell. He is just 28, entering his prime. Snell is NOT Chris Archer. 

The Rays are not any smarter than anyone else. How many World Series titles do they have? What they are doing is making decisions purely from a financial perspective, however, they don't just give away guys, they keep reloading the farm, adding young talent, so they maintain a strong (and cheap) talent base, however, before having to pony up any big money said players are gone. 

Put it this way, would you rather be a fan of the LA Dodges? Or Rays? Pretty easy answer there. The Dodgers have a ring and are the odds on favorite to repeat. But they are not "financially savvy" like the Rays. What they are is a World Champion. And yes they had to spend money, make investments in their product to get there. As someone who is financially very conservative, part of me appreciates what the Rays do, but the fan in me likes the Dodgers approach better. It may be also why Chavez Ravine is always packed and Tampa bay's stadium is a ghost town (unless the Yankees are playing there). Dodgers fans know their people at least try to win. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

I've always liked Carlos Santana mostly because he is perpetually undervalued.  He's Max Muncy, Matt Olson, Pete Alonso, Luke Voit, Moose, etc without the upside.  What do you save for this lack of up

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

SD on the other hand has a tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by getting too antsy with their prospects and sending them off by going all in on a supposed star vet who then suddenly gets injured or under performs often.  Well at least they haven't traded away Mackenzie Gore yet but I got to believe TB tried hard to get him first in that deal.

I am quoting myself because of this:

According to Dennis Lin, Patrick Mooney and Sahadev Sharma of The Athletic, the Padres are "deep" in talks to acquire Yu Darvish from the Cubs.

A.J. Preller refuses to rest. R.J. Anderson of CBS Sports reported earlier than the Padres were still interested in Darvish even after reportedly acquiring Blake Snell from the Rays, but it appears that talks are very advanced. No word on a possible return package for Chicago, but it's believed that multiple players would be involved. Darvish has a 12-team no-trade list, but that doesn't include the Padres, so the Cubs wouldn't need him to sign off on a trade.

Source: Dennis Lin on Twitter                  Dec 28, 2020, 12:43 PM ET

I rest my case with SD.  They just can't resist the urge to grow older and shorten their window by going after every vet out there.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

Welp it hasn't worked out for them in the past going all in on the vets. I don't think it will now either.  Snell is a bit of a head case too what with his explosion last season about wanting his money.  I have a gut feeling TB knows a few concerning things about Snell other than the obvious salary concerns they always have.  Also Luis Pitino is not dog meat.  Time will tell with SD as they say.  It sure did a few years back during their last "vets forevah" debacle.

Blake Snell and Yu Darvish aren't Eric Hosmer or Matt Kemp.  I'm not the biggest Snell fan, and I also think Pitino could be great, but Snell and Darvish are great *now*, and I admire teams that go for it when their window is open instead of worrying about when the window might close.  You can't be a dynasty if you don't win your first championship, and deals like this could put them right there with the Dodgers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't fault any team for going "win now" and it would honestly be fun if the Padres won something. That said, my eyebrows immediately go up when the Rays make moves like this. Perhaps it's their storied history of fleecing teams (well, mostly the Pirates) in trades, but it makes me wonder if there's something we need to watch with Snell. His contract was very team-friendly, even for the skinflints that own the Rays. Maybe it's cause I was watching that Heaven's Gate documentary last night, but I feel like there's more to this!

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Welp it hasn't worked out for them in the past going all in on the vets. I don't think it will now either.  

The Padres have one of the best teams in baseball right now and a shot to win the WS. I'm really unsure how they could be substantially better positioned. I know for sure hoarding depth prospects who may or may not be good won't make the better. They kept their two best prospects too.   This team is stacked.  If the Dodgers or Braves are a little better positioned so be it, are they suppose to wait them out or something and not try until?  You know the Dodgers are getting the #1 international prospect and another top 10 one too?  You can only do so much and the Padres are going to be quite good this year, next year, and the year after (potentially longer).  I'm a Dodgers fan, as you well know, but if I was a Padres fan I'd be absolutely stoked to have this roster with Gore/Abrams and even Hassell/Campusano.  They are very stacked. Winning a championship is the goal and the best way to get there is generally to be stacked.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now.

Since you posted this comment, Fernando Tatis Jr has aged an hour.   The Padres continue to get older and fall out of their championship window.  Getting Snell is really just a bandaid for the crippling realization that Fernando Tatis aged another minute since I started this post. 

• Haha 4

Zach Kram, The Ringer: How the Padres and Rays Could Both Win the Blake Snell Trade

The Rays Lose This Trade If …

There’s a problem with analyzing this trade in a vacuum: Like the Padres, the Rays are really good right now, and should try their darndest to contend while that’s true. They just played in the World Series! Yet they’ve now lost two of their three best pitchers from that roster because they didn’t want to pay them: Charlie Morton, whose $15 million option they declined, and Snell, whose eminently reasonable contract apparently wasn’t reasonable enough for the Rays.

Now, the reigning AL pennant winner’s no. 3 starter is—wait, that can’t be right—Michael Wacha, who ranks dead last in park-adjusted FIP over the past couple of seasons. Maybe Tampa Bay will add more arms throughout the offseason, using Snell’s vacated salary slot to backfill in the rotation. It has the room: Its projected 2021 payroll, according to Cot’s Contracts, was a measly $63 million even before this trade. But there’s reason to be skeptical of that possibility given the Rays’ penny-pinching history. So for now, until proved otherwise, Wacha is their no. 3 starter. [...]

This trade exemplifies the divergent approaches for the two teams involved. When the Padres developed a nucleus of talent, they built around it to target wins in the present, signing Machado and Eric Hosmer in free agency and trading for Clevinger, Snell, Nola, and Pham. The Dodgers are still in the way, but San Diego is doing everything it can to challenge the champs.

The Rays, conversely, try to maintain a perpetual prospect motion machine, trading Snell for the potential next Snell, who just happens to be cheaper. This model helped them make the World Series; it’s also caused them to get rid of two of their top three pitchers from that team—and so far, at least, not bother to replace them. The 2024 Rays will probably benefit from this trade. But the 2021 team, with aims on the first title in franchise history, will not.

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I LOVE that the Padres are taking advantage of the attempted tacit collusion (I know that doesn't really make sense) of most teams being super cheap.  Eff em.

It's not the Cubs being cheap, they know theyneed to rebuild and he's the piece that gets them the best young assets besides maybe Hendrcks. Schwarber, on the other hand, was them being cheap.

I love these deals for the Padres. They add Snell & Darvish and will likely still have a top 5 farm system when all is said and done. They’re set up now to be a World Series contender immediately and should be in great shape to continue contending for several more years to come.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I love these deals for the Padres. They add Snell & Darvish and will likely still have a top 5 farm system when all is said and done. They’re set up now to be a World Series contender immediately and should be in great shape to continue contending for several more years to come.

According to some people they got older and threw it all away and aren't sustainable now. 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

MLB teams often think of things as net surplus value.  Darvish is 20 million per year.  What would he get on the open market; 25 million per year? (At his age?).  If you think about it that way, getting 4 decent prospects and a guy they can flip for prospects at the deadline isn’t a bad haul.  That being said my visceral reaction is that this is such a lackluster return for an ace... 

Edited by Fbaseballgod
2 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Reds should just stop doing anything now and they will the favorites for the NL Central. 

NL Central is looking like the weakest division in baseball right now. 

Edited by damana