NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB 2020-21 Offseason Trades, FA Signings and Changes

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

According to Deesha Thosar of the New York Daily News, the "final clubs competing to land" free agent outfielder George Springer are the Mets and Blue Jays.

Thosar adds that Springer "figures to pick up a long-term contract worth well over $100 million" from one of the two teams and that there should be something official to announce come January. SNY's Andy Martino states in a separate report that the 31-year-old slugger "is still asking for well over $150 million." Springer posted a strong .899 OPS with 14 home runs and 32 RBI in 51 games for the Astros during the condensed 2020 regular season, after delivering a career-best .974 OPS with 39 homers and 96 RBI over 122 games for Houston in 2019. He would obviously be a tremendous addition to the roster in either Toronto or Queens.

I hope the Mets give him $150M over 40 years. Bonilla needs a friend on the perpetual annuity train.

• Haha 3
  • Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

I've always liked Carlos Santana mostly because he is perpetually undervalued.  He's Max Muncy, Matt Olson, Pete Alonso, Luke Voit, Moose, etc without the upside.  What do you save for this lack of up

37 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I hope the Mets give him $150M over 40 years. Bonilla needs a friend on the perpetual annuity train.

The idiot Wilpons and their cheap ways are gone.   

Uncle Stevie is an actual successful person who has nothing to do with those ponzi scheme dummies.

Cohen was having fun with the Bonilla thing and suggested turning it into an annual game day event and celebrate Bobby Bo.  Would be funny.

Trevor May and James McCann were nice acquisitions. 

George Springer, Trevor Bauer and JT Realmuto will get enormous contracts from somebody.

In return, the Indians will get young infielder Andres Gimenez, 2019 second-round pick Josh Wolf, and other prospects.

meh we'll have to see if Wolf becomes anything

Edited by kmoore1521
19 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Mets going into the season with Lindor-McNeil-Alonso-Conforto-Davis-Smith-McCann and DeGrom-Carrasco-Stroman and looking at SD like

giphy.gif

No easy outs. Imagine if they get Springer too.

Edited by 2ndCitySox

Typical Cleveland trade: a franchise piece and a solid player for a highly-drafted prospect and some throw-ins. Grotesque on every level. This team has little idea how to develop offensive talent and now officially have the grossest starting lineup in the AL (only Pittsburgh is keeping it from being the worst in baseball). Sad day we knew was coming, but it still hurts.

Edited by TribeFoo
  • Like 2

Ahmed Rosario and Andres Gimenez look like the MI for CLE moving forward, then the two rookies the Mets just drafted coming, it'll hinge on their development to evaluate this trade, wouldn't hold my breath on that one though

It's important to keep in mind that the players the Tribe acquired are cheap and will remain cheap for awhile. Parting with Lindor & Carrasco removes around $30 million from their 2021 budget. We don't know yet if they'll use any of that money for other players. And while Lindor isn't getting paid THAT much this year an extension will cost a LOT. 

3 hours ago, TribeFoo said:

Typical Cleveland trade: a franchise piece and a solid player for a highly-drafted prospect and some throw-ins. Grotesque on every level. This team has little idea how to develop offensive talent and now officially have the grossest starting lineup in the AL (only Pittsburgh is keeping it from being the worst in baseball). Sad day we knew was coming, but it still hurts.

TBF, Lindor and Jose Ramirez were home grown.

Another thing Cleveland has going for them, most players leaving the Mets do better so theres that.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

TBF, Lindor and Jose Ramirez were home grown.

Another thing Cleveland has going for them, most players leaving the Mets do better so theres that.

Lindor and Ramirez are gigantic outliers in recent years, but I’ll give some credit. We’ll see how Gimenez does, but it sure feels like the deck is stacked against him already in what is going to be a dire offense.

12 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Lindor and Ramirez are gigantic outliers in recent years, but I’ll give some credit. We’ll see how Gimenez does, but it sure feels like the deck is stacked against him already in what is going to be a dire offense.

Trade sucks, but we knew it was coming. Going to be a long couple of years with that offense, but the tribe usually rebound rather quickly. 

26 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

12 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

Trade sucks, but we knew it was coming. Going to be a long couple of years with that offense, but the tribe usually rebound rather quickly. 

As a Met fan, I remember a trade that haunted me for years...a Melvin Mora package for Mike Bordick. Mora went on to have several good seasons so its possible with Gimenez. I know losing Lindor suck but you guys have the Mets bad history on your side, LOL.

Edited by Gryfter
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

As a Met fan, I remember a trade that haunted me for years...a Melvin Mora package for Mike Bordick. Mora went on to have several good seasons so its possible with Gimenez. I know losing Lindor suck but you guys have the Mets bad history on your side, LOL.

I remember the Alomar and Baerga deals. Both disasters.

• Haha 2

Rotoworld:

Mets acquired SS Francisco Lindor and RHP Carlos Carrasco from the Indians for INF Amed Rosario, INF Andres Gimenez, RHP Josh Wolf, and OF Isaiah Greene.

ESPN's Jeff Passan first reported news of the trade about 30 minutes ago and it has already been made official. That suggests that it was actually in the works for a couple of weeks, if not months. Lindor had a somewhat down year in 2020 in terms of traditional numbers, but if you dig a little deeper you'll find that he posted the highest hard-hit rate of his career, with 41.1 percent of his balls in play carrying a 95-plus mph exit velocity. The 27-year-old is currently scheduled to become a free agent after the 2021 season, though it sounds like long-term extension talks might get underway immediately. What a splash for new Mets owner Steve Cohen.

Jan 7, 2021, 1:04 PM ET

This is the thing to watch.  If the Mets can't keep Lindor for more than his last year the trade might not be that great for them.  If they can, then they are looking pretty good.  One wonders if there were back channel stuff going on before the trade was announced.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rotoworld:

This is the thing to watch.  If the Mets can't keep Lindor for more than his last year the trade might not be that great for them.  If they can, then they are looking pretty good.  One wonders if there were back channel stuff going on before the trade was announced.

Steve Cohen won't be outbid and Lindor knows playing in NY is where the money is at. Not to mention playing in the biggest Puerto Rican market in the world. Yankees prob be only threat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rotoworld:

I would agree with this take, and I assume you are correct in them having a good idea of what he will re-sign for and that they will offer it.

It's a good day to be a Mets fan, especially considering Ronny Mauricio I think has an excellent shot to be at least if not much better than Rosario/Gimenez.

I always think the Mets lineup is very good (in recent years), mainly due to my Conforto love, but putting Lindor in place of your weakest infield position by a mile, wow.  This is a very good hitting team.  Oh, and they improved their rotation too. Conservatively Carrasco is a top 40 starter.  Thats a number 2 on most teams.

• Like 1

i actually dont hate the return for the indians.  it's just frustrating seeing contending teams cry broke and sell off their window.

Indians are the proud owners of the worst OF in the MLB and a bottom 3 AL lineup.  Impressive achievements considering the tigers and pirates are still technically mlb teams 

• Like 2

This trade is why baseball is dying. The game I loved I am starting to hate.
Trading Lindor & Carracci for four players with only one “barely” is a top 100 prospect. 
Time to subtract teams who don’t want to try to win. Let’s go to 20 or 24 teams 

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

This trade is why baseball is dying. The game I loved I am starting to hate.
Trading Lindor & Carracci for four players with only one “barely” is a top 100 prospect. 
Time to subtract teams who don’t want to try to win. Let’s go to 20 or 24 teams 

I disagree as far as the *tank and rebuild* new mo.  It got the Marlins very good very fast. Astros too. 

39 minutes ago, Magoo said:

It got the Marlins very good very fast.

Whoa, slow down there.  Are we calling the Marlins "good" based on making the playoffs in a 60 game season?  The offense was 18th in wRC+ last season, while the pitching was 21st, 26th, or 27th depending on whether you go by ERA, FIP, or xFIP.  There are some very exciting players on the roster now, particularly on the pitching side, and while the farm system has some nice prospects, most of them are far away from contributing.

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Whoa, slow down there.  Are we calling the Marlins "good" based on making the playoffs in a 60 game season?  The offense was 18th in wRC+ last season, while the pitching was 21st, 26th, or 27th depending on whether you go by ERA, FIP, or xFIP.  There are some very exciting players on the roster now, particularly on the pitching side, and while the farm system has some nice prospects, most of them are far away from contributing.

Comparative to where they were when they did the fire sale the turn around has been very fast.  I'm assuming their wRC+ that year was at the bottom.

As far as pitching this is without question this best staff they have had in years.   Top 3 guys could all easily take another step this year.  Especially Alcantara who was the return in the Ozuna fire sale.  And looks like they are really going to attack middle relief and fireman roles in FA.

They have a willingness to spend on hitting now too.  If they get Rosario for example then they could move up even further.

My main point is that they are on the rise and the tank arguably is a big reason why.

• Like 1