Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is the right area to post this but had a question about manipulating waivers to stop owners who aren't paying attention to fill bye week positions. For instance picking up any QBs and purposely rotating pick ups to keep them all on waivers until game day so your opponent can't use them.

 

Does anyone know how long you typically need to keep a player on your team before dropping to initiate a waiver claim vs. Instant free agent pick up (I believe if you pick up a player and drop them 2 minutes later they will not go on waivers, not sure if it needs to be a full 24 hrs or just into the next day, or just pick up at 11:59 PM and drop at 12:01 AM.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One time my opponent didn’t have a QB so I picked up 3 just to try and screw him over. He picked up Trubisky vs the Bucs. I was over the moon estates. He proceeded to throw 5(I think it was 5) touchdo

whilst all is fair in love and magick foosball, this is a total doosh canoe move.  the fantasy godz shall smite thou. 

Ugh, I hate positional limits just as much. It's a crutch for people who don't want to spend much time managing their team and have an ample WW to draw from. You can prevent DB moves like churning wit

On Yahoo, I believe you have to keep until the calendar day changes. Meaning you could pick up at 11:59 PM and drop at 12:00 AM and the player goes on waivers. If you add and drop on the same day, the player reverts back to being a free agent.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A27K said:

Not sure if this is the right area to post this but had a question about manipulating waivers to stop owners who aren't paying attention to fill bye week positions. For instance picking up any QBs and purposely rotating pick ups to keep them all on waivers until game day so your opponent can't use them.

 

Does anyone know how long you typically need to keep a player on your team before dropping to initiate a waiver claim vs. Instant free agent pick up (I believe if you pick up a player and drop them 2 minutes later they will not go on waivers, not sure if it needs to be a full 24 hrs or just into the next day, or just pick up at 11:59 PM and drop at 12:01 AM.

This actually is so frowned upon it has a name, churning. On yahoo if a guy is picked up and dropped the same day he stays a free agent and doesn't go onto waivers, to prevent this. It's a DB move, just don't do it

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CooL said:

On Yahoo, I believe you have to keep until the calendar day changes. Meaning you could pick up at 11:59 PM and drop at 12:00 AM and the player goes on waivers. If you add and drop on the same day, the player reverts back to being a free agent.

 

Can confirm, this is correct for Yahoo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus who wants to play with people who aren’t paying attention in the first place. I mean if you have to cheat to beat people whom aren’t even playing or even paying attention that’s pretty embarrassing. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

One time my opponent didn’t have a QB so I picked up 3 just to try and screw him over. He picked up Trubisky vs the Bucs. I was over the moon estates. He proceeded to throw 5(I think it was 5) touchdowns. Never again. 

karma story for @A27K

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

whilst all is fair in love and magick foosball, this is a total doosh canoe move. 

the fantasy godz shall smite thou. 

Out of likes

We instituted roster limits by position to prevent this chicanery

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Out of likes

We instituted roster limits by position to prevent this chicanery

Ugh, I hate positional limits just as much. It's a crutch for people who don't want to spend much time managing their team and have an ample WW to draw from. You can prevent DB moves like churning without resorting to that. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, A27K said:

Not sure if this is the right area to post this but had a question about manipulating waivers to stop owners who aren't paying attention to fill bye week positions. For instance picking up any QBs and purposely rotating pick ups to keep them all on waivers until game day so your opponent can't use them.

 

Does anyone know how long you typically need to keep a player on your team before dropping to initiate a waiver claim vs. Instant free agent pick up (I believe if you pick up a player and drop them 2 minutes later they will not go on waivers, not sure if it needs to be a full 24 hrs or just into the next day, or just pick up at 11:59 PM and drop at 12:01 AM.

 

It's called churning and it's bush league. 

Don't be that guy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Ugh, I hate positional limits just as much. It's a crutch for people who don't want to spend much time managing their team and have an ample WW to draw from. You can prevent DB moves like churning without resorting to that. 

Really only for QB tbh (3)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CooL said:

On Yahoo, I believe you have to keep until the calendar day changes. Meaning you could pick up at 11:59 PM and drop at 12:00 AM and the player goes on waivers. If you add and drop on the same day, the player reverts back to being a free agent.

Yes, this is correct. In a friends/family league it's definitely a douche move. In some big money shark league it's also a douche move, but it's probably more acceptable to be a douche within the rules of the league in those. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

nothing wrong with doing this. maybe the team who doesn't have a back-up QB is waiting until the last minute to drop someone so no one else has a chance to pick said player up before game time. that's his strategy and the risk he's taking. his fault if there's no one good left. this is war gentlemen and if it's the difference between a W/L and you're not breaking any rules, screw 'em.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, shenaulty said:

nothing wrong with doing this. maybe the team who doesn't have a back-up QB is waiting until the last minute to drop someone so no one else has a chance to pick said player up before game time. that's his strategy and the risk he's taking. his fault if there's no one good left. this is war gentlemen and if it's the difference between a W/L and you're not breaking any rules, screw 'em.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it either.  This is fantasy football, it's not "everybody gets a soccer trophy" fantasy football.  I happen to be more competitive and engaged, some others are not.  So yeah, if I see an opportunity where I have a chance to pick up a Teddy Bridgewater, drop him in a day to lock him in waivers, then pick up Kirk Cousins since he's playing Seattle, so my opponent has to play Daniel Jones, heck yeah.  It's all fair.

I'm either using that last bench spot to try to improve my team by speculating on a waiver add.  Or I'm improving my teams chances to win by preventing my opponent from having said player.  How is this considered a dirty move?

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is at least something of a gray area here. If you're on a site that immediately puts people on waivers then that's clearly a no-no, but that's not quite what's suggested here. I guess you, what, pick up QB1 today, drop him tomorrow so he's unavailable for Sunday? Then you pick QB2 up tomorrow, and drop him Sunday morning so he's unavailable ( I think some sites keep players as FAs if they're dropped on Sunday but I may have just made that up)? Then potentially I guess you could also pick up QB3 Sunday morning. So that would be 3 QBs you could take out of action if I'm not mistaken (and if the guy is waiting), but you've essentially given up a roster spot for the week.

Comes back down to the league you're in. I'm in a hardcore league with friends that has been running for years (no money involved). We wouldn't pull that ****. I'm in a less hardcore neighborhood league which does have money involved, but it's really about banter and friendship. We wouldn't pull that ****. If you're in a money league where you don't know the guys, or a league where you do know the guys but everybody's trying this stuff, then sure, why not. I'm not interested in that sort of league tbh, but that's just me.

At a time when anyone could get screwed by COVID stuff any time - almost at random - it seems even more shady.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would attempt this if my opponent needed a shallow position and there was an obvious pick-up.  If you could drop your K and pick up one of many on Sunday AM.  I wouldn't mess around with picking up 3 qb or anything since you'd be dropping your likely valuable players on your own bench.  If you do it a lot it's going to be obvious and people will catch on that you're being a douche.  If I was in a public pay league and it's within the rules, sure.  But among friends, probably not make a habit of obvious churning..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Churning is horrible and should be punished by the death penalty.  If I were a commissioner a guy would do this once and he'd be gone.  (Same with the guys who nominated the "wrong" David Johnson early in auctions a few years ago.  You just don't want to play the game with people like that.)

There is one legitimate strategy, however, which comes up in only rare circumstances.  Let's say Green Bay is playing Chicago on a Monday night.  Your opponent has Aaron Rodgers who may or may not play because he hurt his neck doing the discount double check when his stocking cap was on too tight during a commercial shoot on Wednesday.  He's a true game-time decision.  The Rodgers owner is obviously going to hold out and hope Rodgers plays.  You can add Nick Foles to make it so he can't play that game and still have a QB to use.  Don't "churn" Foles, don't pick him and drop him to lock him.  Add him and you hold him through the week.  To me this is not an illegitimate move because you had to drop someone you'd rather have than Foles (maybe a high-upside handcuff guy) and you were denied that roster spot, thus making your drop available to all next week.  I have no problem with this move at all.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Churning is horrible and should be punished by the death penalty.  If I were a commissioner a guy would do this once and he'd be gone.  (Same with the guys who nominated the "wrong" David Johnson early in auctions a few years ago.  You just don't want to play the game with people like that.)

There is one legitimate strategy, however, which comes up in only rare circumstances.  Let's say Green Bay is playing Chicago on a Monday night.  Your opponent has Aaron Rodgers who may or may not play because he hurt his neck doing the discount double check when his stocking cap was on too tight during a commercial shoot on Wednesday.  He's a true game-time decision.  The Rodgers owner is obviously going to hold out and hope Rodgers plays.  You can add Nick Foles to make it so he can't play that game and still have a QB to use.  Don't "churn" Foles, don't pick him and drop him to lock him.  Add him and you hold him through the week.  To me this is not an illegitimate move because you had to drop someone you'd rather have than Foles (maybe a high-upside handcuff guy) and you were denied that roster spot, thus making your drop available to all next week.  I have no problem with this move at all.  

 

 

... i'd rather start Love, or whoever else is the Pack's backup 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

There is at least something of a gray area here. If you're on a site that immediately puts people on waivers then that's clearly a no-no, but that's not quite what's suggested here. I guess you, what, pick up QB1 today, drop him tomorrow so he's unavailable for Sunday? Then you pick QB2 up tomorrow, and drop him Sunday morning so he's unavailable ( I think some sites keep players as FAs if they're dropped on Sunday but I may have just made that up)? Then potentially I guess you could also pick up QB3 Sunday morning. So that would be 3 QBs you could take out of action if I'm not mistaken (and if the guy is waiting), but you've essentially given up a roster spot for the week.

Comes back down to the league you're in. I'm in a hardcore league with friends that has been running for years (no money involved). We wouldn't pull that ****. I'm in a less hardcore neighborhood league which does have money involved, but it's really about banter and friendship. We wouldn't pull that ****. If you're in a money league where you don't know the guys, or a league where you do know the guys but everybody's trying this stuff, then sure, why not. I'm not interested in that sort of league tbh, but that's just me.

At a time when anyone could get screwed by COVID stuff any time - almost at random - it seems even more shady.

I respect your opinion.  But "hardcore" and "no money involved" just doesn't seem to jive.  So you're just playing for bragging rights?  You spend all the time and research and money for paid sites just to be able to have the right to say you finished first?  To each their own.

Again, I don't see anything wrong with it.  You are sacrificing a (potentially) valuable bench spot to try to block an opponent.  You could have used this bench spot on Robert Tonyan two weeks ago, but that week you decided to go through the QB cycling.  As it turns out, you didn't need to do it anyway as you destroyed your opponent.  But now you missed out on Tonyan.  

Fantasy football isn't just about picking and choosing the right players.  It's about maximizing your bench and making smart waiver moves.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with using your bench as Defense rather than Offense.  I don't utilize the Defensive strategy very often as fantasy is just too hard to predict (as evidenced by the post above who said he "stuck" his opponent with Trubisky the week he decided to throw for 5 TDs), but sometimes it makes more sense rather than trying to pick up a WR5.

53 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

I would attempt this if my opponent needed a shallow position and there was an obvious pick-up.  If you could drop your K and pick up one of many on Sunday AM.  I wouldn't mess around with picking up 3 qb or anything since you'd be dropping your likely valuable players on your own bench.  If you do it a lot it's going to be obvious and people will catch on that you're being a douche.  If I was in a public pay league and it's within the rules, sure.  But among friends, probably not make a habit of obvious churning..

You only need one bench spot to block/churn.  You have to hold the player one calendar day anyway.  If you have a spot that is disposable, why not?

35 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Churning is horrible and should be punished by the death penalty.  If I were a commissioner a guy would do this once and he'd be gone.  (Same with the guys who nominated the "wrong" David Johnson early in auctions a few years ago.  You just don't want to play the game with people like that.)

There is one legitimate strategy, however, which comes up in only rare circumstances.  Let's say Green Bay is playing Chicago on a Monday night.  Your opponent has Aaron Rodgers who may or may not play because he hurt his neck doing the discount double check when his stocking cap was on too tight during a commercial shoot on Wednesday.  He's a true game-time decision.  The Rodgers owner is obviously going to hold out and hope Rodgers plays.  You can add Nick Foles to make it so he can't play that game and still have a QB to use.  Don't "churn" Foles, don't pick him and drop him to lock him.  Add him and you hold him through the week.  To me this is not an illegitimate move because you had to drop someone you'd rather have than Foles (maybe a high-upside handcuff guy) and you were denied that roster spot, thus making your drop available to all next week.  I have no problem with this move at all.  

 

If you're not going to allow a manager to use his bench however he/she wants, then why not just turn your league into Best Ball? 

And your example with Rodgers on a Monday night is the EXACT SAME CONCEPT.  You are picking up the only QB left to BLOCK YOUR OPPONENT.  It doesn't matter if you drop Foles before the game or keep him on your team until the next week, you have no intent of playing him, you just want your opponent not to be able to use him.  In the OPs post, he just wants to do it three times on consecutive days.  It's within the confines of the game.  NFL teams pick up players off waivers because they don't want their divisional opponent to get the player.  It's all fair.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, I think the term churning came from picking up a bunch of guys and dropping to lock them all. Hopefully all sites are like yahoo where guys don't go through waivers if they're picked up and dropped the same day but i don't think it was always like that. I don't have an issue with people picking up players to block, even if they drop the guy next day and pick up someone else. It makes you invest a roster spot, and the other guy has plenty of time to make a move. What's not cool and gutter fantasy football behavior would be picking up and dropping like 15 QBs(or insert other position) on Saturday when you realize something happened and your opponent needs one. I think this used to be feasible and maybe still is on some sites. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I don't know, I think the term churning came from picking up a bunch of guys and dropping to lock them all. Hopefully all sites are like yahoo where guys don't go through waivers if they're picked up and dropped the same day but i don't think it was always like that. I don't have an issue with people picking up players to block, even if they drop the guy next day and pick up someone else. It makes you invest a roster spot, and the other guy has plenty of time to make a move. What's not cool and gutter fantasy football behavior would be picking up and dropping like 15 QBs(or insert other position) on Saturday when you realize something happened and your opponent needs one. I think this used to be feasible and maybe still is on some sites. 

Exactly.  If after you pick up Teddy Bridgewater as your third QB on a team where you have Mahomes and Russel Wilson, it's obvious what the intent is.  Then your opponent should go in and immediately pick up Fitz or Cousins.  If your opponent just sits idly by while you make a move on Saturday and then another on Sunday morning, then that's his own darn fault.  Again, fantasy football is not "everyone gets a soccer trophy", at least my league isn't.

Sites don't allow you to block 15 QBs as you suggest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...