Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Andy Dalton 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

Easy to blame the QB for the loss, but it wasn't all his fault either.  He didn't get much help from anyone in this game.  I'll gonna give him another chance because I still think he can be an asset  

No it isn't all his fault because the whole team sucks. His underlying numbers in this game suggest he has no business being out there. The eye test said the same.

Edited by Benjamin1984
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just dropped in to say...  

This mf’er hogh af

Posted Images

Just now, Benjamin1984 said:

No it isn't all his fault because the whole team sucks. His underlying numbers in this game suggest he has no business out there. The eye test said the same.

What "underlying numbers"? They tried to start the game with a simplified playbook to break him in.  Zeke fumbles twice & the defense sucks so they're down 20-0 fast. Forced to drop back behind a weak o-line & ARI blitzed A LOT.  Yes, he made some poor throws.  He also made some good ones that were dropped.  It was a team effort to lose this bad & they can only improve.  Nobody has compared him to Dak, but with those weapons surrounding him Dalton could be decent with some blocking adjustments & a better game plan

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lvsaint429 said:

What "underlying numbers"? They tried to start the game with a simplified playbook to break him in.  Zeke fumbles twice & the defense sucks so they're down 20-0 fast. Forced to drop back behind a weak o-line & ARI blitzed A LOT.  Yes, he made some poor throws.  He also made some good ones that were dropped.  It was a team effort to lose this bad & they can only improve.  Nobody has compared him to Dak, but with those weapons surrounding him Dalton could be decent with some blocking adjustments & a better game plan


Nah man. You’ve got to put those rose tinted glasses down. Start him at your own peril. He was atrocious 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

What "underlying numbers"? They tried to start the game with a simplified playbook to break him in.  Zeke fumbles twice & the defense sucks so they're down 20-0 fast. Forced to drop back behind a weak o-line & ARI blitzed A LOT.  Yes, he made some poor throws.  He also made some good ones that were dropped.  It was a team effort to lose this bad & they can only improve.  Nobody has compared him to Dak, but with those weapons surrounding him Dalton could be decent with some blocking adjustments & a better game plan

 

Exactly this. Gallup dropped a TD. Budda Baker showed full blitz on a play and Tony Pollard didn't even notice him to get Dalton almost killed.

Edited by TonyRomo
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

What "underlying numbers"? They tried to start the game with a simplified playbook to break him in.  Zeke fumbles twice & the defense sucks so they're down 20-0 fast. Forced to drop back behind a weak o-line & ARI blitzed A LOT.  Yes, he made some poor throws.  He also made some good ones that were dropped.  It was a team effort to lose this bad & they can only improve.  Nobody has compared him to Dak, but with those weapons surrounding him Dalton could be decent with some blocking adjustments & a better game plan

4.9 yards per attempt. That's really really bad. He telegraphed nearly all of his throws the entire game. You should go back and watch some of the throws if you can...if you can't I understand. I'm not trying to bury the guy but he isn't a capable NFL starter anymore. He nearly got Cedrick Wilson's head taken off as well. I live outside of Cincy and have watched Dalton for years. He's a great team guy and a true student of the game. He did well for himself in this league without being a great talent. Hopefully he gets a shade better but they can't make most of the throws they were asking him to make any easier. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LooseLeaf said:

How can you not produce with this cast of offensive weapons. I'm giving him one more week then tossing in the bin if its the same type of result as last night.

One more week is fair as he hasn't had a lot of playing time and he should have had two passing TDs as one was dropped.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't a knock on Dalton, because talent-wise, he's going to be in that Fitzpatrick/Bridgewater tier.   Can have good games, MAYBE a great game, and total duds.    But, after watching the game last night, I'm selling all Cowboys stock.   Their OL is literally all second string guys.    Dalton is going to have pressure every single drop-back.   He could be fine sometimes, but I'm not going to risk it.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bounce said:

This isn't a knock on Dalton, because talent-wise, he's going to be in that Fitzpatrick/Bridgewater tier.   Can have good games, MAYBE a great game, and total duds.    But, after watching the game last night, I'm selling all Cowboys stock.   Their OL is literally all second string guys.    Dalton is going to have pressure every single drop-back.   He could be fine sometimes, but I'm not going to risk it.  

 

The concerning part is that I believe Arizona is near the bottom in putting pressure on the qb and I imagine the giants aren’t much higher either. We’ll see if he even survives games against teams with a legit pass rush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, whatisfootball said:

The concerning part is that I believe Arizona is near the bottom in putting pressure on the qb and I imagine the giants aren’t much higher either. We’ll see if he even survives games against teams with a legit pass rush.

Eh. Arizona bum rushed Dalton with blitzes. Their pressure rate is irrelevant since they don't typically send 7 guys in on a blitz. Their gameplan for this matchup was to attack the o-line and it succeeded. 

Whether that becomes a blueprint for crippling Dallas and Dalton will depend on if Kellen Moore can adjust to work in some quick throws, screens, tempo, to punish the blitz

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sizzlebshu said:

Eh. Arizona bum rushed Dalton with blitzes. Their pressure rate is irrelevant since they don't typically send 7 guys in on a blitz. Their gameplan for this matchup was to attack the o-line and it succeeded. 

Whether that becomes a blueprint for crippling Dallas and Dalton will depend on if Kellen Moore can adjust to work in some quick throws, screens, tempo, to punish the blitz

 

With the oline looking like Swiss cheese and Zeke looking like a shell of himself I could definitely see that becoming the norm against them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, whatisfootball said:

 

With the oline looking like Swiss cheese and Zeke looking like a shell of himself I could definitely see that becoming the norm against them.

Zeke looks fine. The fumbles were always an issue due to Zeke's running style. On one hand, it allows him to make something out of nothing, but it is not the most secure way to carry the football. Im not worried about Zeke. 

The o-line is definitely an issue and I can see Dallas making some trades, but even if they don't you can hide an o-line issue with playcalling (Sean McVay anyone?). Kellen Moore is likely good enough to pull that off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, lvsaint429 said:

Easy to blame the QB for the loss, but it wasn't all his fault either.  He didn't get much help from anyone in this game.  I'll gonna give him another chance because I still think he can be an asset  

 

What reasons do you have for optimism, if any? Being serious.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sizzlebshu said:

Eh. Arizona bum rushed Dalton with blitzes. Their pressure rate is irrelevant since they don't typically send 7 guys in on a blitz. Their gameplan for this matchup was to attack the o-line and it succeeded. 

Whether that becomes a blueprint for crippling Dallas and Dalton will depend on if Kellen Moore can adjust to work in some quick throws, screens, tempo, to punish the blitz

 

Wasn't Dalton horrendous against the blitz last season? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

What reasons do you have for optimism, if any? Being serious.

I still think Dalton can perform with this offense, here’s why:

1) They’re gonna figure out what plays & what receivers he has confidence in, then tailor the game plan to that. They went into last night trying to ease him in with a conservative game plan with all the low-risk short throws early

2) They should eliminate a lot of the deep drops & longer developing plays now that the o-line has been depleted by injury. The receivers also need to recognize blitzes better & go to their hot routes.  Dalton seemed crisper when he had quicker RAC plays 
3) How often is Zeke gonna fumble in the 1st quarter twice deep in their own territory? That really screwed their game plan early & the ARI defense went on the attack with the blitz 

4) Don’t forget that Dalton also probably hasn’t had a lot of practice reps with the 1st team due to the dumpster fire that is 2020. He’s not Dak, so they are learning on the fly how to adapt from his type of game to Dalton’s 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

Wasn't Dalton horrendous against the blitz last season? 

I don't recall, but regardless he didn't have as much talent surrounding him compared to now. They may not have added in blitz beaters (rookie head coach), and/or may not have been able to execute them. 

12 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

I still think Dalton can perform with this offense, here’s why:

1) They’re gonna figure out what plays & what receivers he has confidence in, then tailor the game plan to that. They went into last night trying to ease him in with a conservative game plan with all the low-risk short throws early

2) They should eliminate a lot of the deep drops & longer developing plays now that the o-line has been depleted by injury. The receivers also need to recognize blitzes better & go to their hot routes.  Dalton seemed crisper when he had quicker RAC plays 
3) How often is Zeke gonna fumble in the 1st quarter twice deep in their own territory? That really screwed their game plan early & the ARI defense went on the attack with the blitz 

4) Don’t forget that Dalton also probably hasn’t had a lot of practice reps with the 1st team due to the dumpster fire that is 2020. He’s not Dak, so they are learning on the fly how to adapt from his type of game to Dalton’s 

This is probably right. Dalton played well for the most part last night. First int was on Dalton for predetermining a read due to pressure, which Budda Baker jumped. Second int was on the refs not calling PI when Lamb got tackled. 

 

Dalton cannot make up for Dak's mobility, which significantly alleviated pressure from the o-line and prevented teams from going all out on the line like last night. However, they can scheme blitz beaters and quick throws to prevent this. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

O line is 🗑.. Defense is 🗑. Luckily being NFC East 5-11 makes the playoffs. OC needs quick hits to off set pass rush. Can’t fumble and trail 21-0 right off the bat. 250/2 is probably a fair prediction for many games moving forward.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

So bad tonight that I wouldn't be surprised if the delusional Jerry Jones tries to make some panic trade or signing to bring in some other QB.  (Jerry never understands when he has a lost season.)


Matty Ice to the Cowboys?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...