NBC Sports Edge Forums

Los Angeles Lakers 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This off-season has been a wet dream. Lakers are much better than the championship winning squad already.

https://streamable.com/at89lb   Will Lebron continue to ruin the Lakers Franchise in 2021? 

Agreed it's not ideal for fantasy, but this team is unbelievable. For laughs, go read through last year's lakers thread about how screwed the lakers franchise future was going to be.

• tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

Good trade for the Lakers. They move on from Danny Green and take a step back defensively but get a boost offensively with Schröder, who can also create his own shot. Plus he fits that third scorer & secondary ball-handler role that desperately tried filling all season long. As a Lakers fan I’ll definitely take Schröder for DG and the 28th pick. Rumor has it they want Wes Matthews. Rondo and KCP for Schröder and Wes? Regular season that’s a win for the Lakers, postseason I’m not so sure. Rondo was huge for us this postseason and has a knack for showing up when the games really mean something. I also really liked KCP this season and thought he played great. He was our third best player all year long. Lakers gotta find a way to bring Bradley back. 

11 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Good trade for the Lakers. They move on from Danny Green and take a step back defensively but get a boost offensively with Schröder, who can also create his own shot. Plus he fits that third scorer & secondary ball-handler role that desperately tried filling all season long. As a Lakers fan I’ll definitely take Schröder for DG and the 28th pick. Rumor has it they want Wes Matthews. Rondo and KCP for Schröder and Wes? Regular season that’s a win for the Lakers, postseason I’m not so sure. Rondo was huge for us this postseason and has a knack for showing up when the games really mean something. I also really liked KCP this season and thought he played great. He was our third best player all year long. Lakers gotta find a way to bring Bradley back. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1

Schröder is an upgrade both offensively and defensively for the Lakers over Danny Green. Lakers add another playmaker who can get his own shots unlike Green who was solely spot up and he was top 15 in defense win shares according to this metric. 

• Like 1
On 11/16/2020 at 11:37 AM, RedRaider27 said:

Hell no Danny Green is azz. He’s garbage it’s nothing but upgrade offensively and defensively.

We'll see how the roster shapes up, obviously they are contenders. As of now losing Rondo/KCP/Green/Bradley/Howard. Only replaced by Schroeder for now. I'm guessing they get some decent talent on minimum deals looking to compete for a ship and live in LA, maybe some buyouts mid season.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

We'll see how the roster shapes up, obviously they are contenders. As of now losing Rondo/KCP/Green/Bradley/Howard. Only replaced by Schroeder for now. I'm guessing they get some decent talent on minimum deals looking to compete for a ship and live in LA, maybe some buyouts mid season.

Yeah they proved all they need are decent pieces who know their role. They got their 3rd scoring option they don’t need more scoring. Howard has said he really wants to come back so maybe a minimum deal gets it done. Dion Waiters coming back helps since he didnt contribute at all in the playoffs

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
17 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Meh he fell out of the playoff rotation he’s nothing more than a couple of points a couple of boards a couple of steals at best

He is a good piece for us in the regular season. Plays hard, defends the rim, catches lobs for Bron, and maybe most importantly eats up minutes at the 5 to keep AD at the 4. Is he worth 4 million though? No.

14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I originally thought KCP would leave but I think we bring him back. Rondo/Green (obviously)/Bradley probably all gone. Not sure about Dwight, he said he wants to stay but also hinted at a pay raise which I don’t know if the Lakers give him.

6 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Howard at 3 million is > than Harrell at 9 million.

Well yeah of course but no way was they going to sign him dirt cheap again. Only reason they had him in the first place was because no other team wanted him and that was basically his only option or retire. Harrell did win 6th man of the year though.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
1 minute ago, DezedandConfused said:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1

Look at the players on this list and the players the Lakers signed. DEF WS (12. Wesley Matthews, 15. Dennis Schroder, 48. Montrezl Harrell) 

Marc Gasol reportedly on the target list (rank #8 Def WS)

Defense wins championships, 2 peat lets go

montrez harell reigning defensive player of the year schroder runner up for defensive player of the year wesley matthews basically danny green and if they get marc gasol his job is simple, defend because we dont need you to score anything so no jump shots for u from now on!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

montrez harell reigning defensive player of the year schroder runner up for defensive player of the year wesley matthews basically danny green and if they get marc gasol his job is simple, defend because we dont need you to score anything so no jump shots for u from now on!

whoops meant 6th man of the year for harell and schroder was runner up for 6th man of the year! my bad.

13 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

they lost dwight howard but picked up montrez harell so thats a nice swap. Of course in typical dwight howard idiocy he tweets hes going back to the lakers only to immediately delete it. Was he trying to troll or something? Hes so damn weird.

He had an "agreement in principle" and he thought it was a done deal. Turns out lakers front office had to ask ownership, and during the several hours Dwight was out of the loop he basically said 'eff it's, and went to 76ers.

Edited by itslarry
14 minutes ago, itslarry said:

He had an "agreement in principle" and he thought it was a done deal. Turns out lakers front office had to ask ownership, and during the several hours Dwight was out of the loop he basically said 'eff it's, and went to 76ers.

Feel like there has to be more to it considering he signed a minimum deal. 

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Feel like there has to be more to it considering he signed a minimum deal. 

If it was a minimum deal The only thing I can think of is that Dwight felt like the Lakers were still treating him like trash i.e no one really wants you and since we are your only option you can wait. He’s basically going to play the same role in philly and if he is basically making the same amount of money why wouldn’t he just wait and go to the Lakers.

31 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

If it was a minimum deal The only thing I can think of is that Dwight felt like the Lakers were still treating him like trash i.e no one really wants you and since we are your only option you can wait. He’s basically going to play the same role in philly and if he is basically making the same amount of money why wouldn’t he just wait and go to the Lakers.

Yeah thats why it seems like a weird situation where we don't know the full story. Not sure why he'd want to play in Philli for the same money and I dont know why the Lakers wouldnt want him on the min.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Yeah thats why it seems like a weird situation where we don't know the full story. Not sure why he'd want to play in Philli for the same money and I dont know why the Lakers wouldnt want him on the min.

I think it was bad timing. While Dwight was waiting on the Lakers, Philly swooped in and offered a more prominent role. Also Embiid is known for his maintenance days which will lead to more playing time for Dwight, setting himself up for another deal after next season, but who knows for sure. It was kinda weird with the whole tweet of him returning to the Lakers then later deleted. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Los Angeles Lakers 2020-2021 Outlook