NBC Sports Edge Forums

Los Angeles Lakers 2020-2021 Outlook

18 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

I think it was bad timing. While Dwight was waiting on the Lakers, Philly swooped in and offered a more prominent role. Also Embiid is known for his maintenance days which will lead to more playing time for Dwight, setting himself up for another deal after next season, but who knows for sure. It was kinda weird with the whole tweet of him returning to the Lakers then later deleted. 

Well it was reported he did agree to the contract and he thought since he agreed it was a done deal so he tweeted it but supposedly they needed approval from Lakers management? That part makes no sense. Who offers a contract first then says wait let me ask my boss if it’s ok to offer this. Idk maybe it works like that but I always assumed the boss approves first then the contract gets offered to the player.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
  • Like 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This off-season has been a wet dream. Lakers are much better than the championship winning squad already.

https://streamable.com/at89lb   Will Lebron continue to ruin the Lakers Franchise in 2021? 

Agreed it's not ideal for fantasy, but this team is unbelievable. For laughs, go read through last year's lakers thread about how screwed the lakers franchise future was going to be.

Getting Dwight back would’ve been insane. Lakers biggest need is a backup defensive minded center who rim protects and doesn’t need many touches offensively. Basically Dwight. Would’ve been great to have him and I’m not sure what happened with him and the Lakers but he’ll be missed. He was a key player for us and I’m glad he was able to win and ring finally and mend his relationship with the Lakers and their fans.

9 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

Am I the only who here who feels like Marc Gasol was a downgrade? I feel like defensively, he's just turned into the equivalent of "eating soup with a fork"....

Can't tell Lakers fan that, they think Gasol and Harrell is huge upgrades and they will go undefeated in the playoffs. If anybody watched Gasol last season or Harrell in the bubble they would know that both was atrocious. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Can't tell Lakers fan that, they think Gasol and Harrell is huge upgrades and they will go undefeated in the playoffs. If anybody watched Gasol last season or Harrell in the bubble they would know that both was atrocious. 

I blame Harrell's horrid play from a combination of being complacent in the bubble/during the entire season + Kawhi & PG not getting involved with the pre-existing Clippers core (Bev, Trez, Lou) and can actually seeing him mesh well with LBJ & AD if Trez plays the 4-spot and AD plays the 5. But the Marc Gasol signing is just baffling for me... Aside from half court plays where he stretches the floor, I feel like their transition plays will be much worse with Gasol sauntering across the court.

21 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

Am I the only who here who feels like Marc Gasol was a downgrade? I feel like defensively, he's just turned into the equivalent of "eating soup with a fork"....

im not sure how much you want to downgrade everything Marc Gasol.  and Montrell were before the bubble because they had a bad bubble. If the bubble was who they are now, they definitely are bad signings.  I’m pretty confident they are not.

Dwight Howard was good against Jokic and pretty much not worth a lot the rest of the playoffs. He was a non factor in the finals .

I think the Lakers definitely got better this offseason. Doesn’t mean they win the championship. 

Gasol shot 39% from three in the regular season and was third in the league in defensive rating with qualified minutes. Even if that’s a flawed stat, I think he’s a very high IQ player that will pair well with Lebron. 

personally I think the a clippers did better by getting Ibaka then Lakers did by getting Montrell but he shouldn’t be underestimated. With Lebron and AD you should always be playing one and pairing either of those guys with a secondary unite with Montrell and Schroeder is going to be quite deadly for a secondary unit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Getting Dwight back would’ve been insane. Lakers biggest need is a backup defensive minded center who rim protects and doesn’t need many touches offensively. Basically Dwight. Would’ve been great to have him and I’m not sure what happened with him and the Lakers but he’ll be missed. He was a key player for us and I’m glad he was able to win and ring finally and mend his relationship with the Lakers and their fans.

Shaq still will hate on him. Gonna give him the Barkley treatment. “You won 1 but u weren’t the guy I was there for 3 as the main guy!”

16 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

im not sure how much you want to downgrade everything Marc Gasol.  and Montrell were before the bubble because they had a bad bubble. If the bubble was who they are now, they definitely are bad signings.  I’m pretty confident they are not.

Dwight Howard was good against Jokic and pretty much not worth a lot the rest of the playoffs. He was a non factor in the finals .

I think the Lakers definitely got better this offseason. Doesn’t mean they win the championship. 

Gasol shot 39% from three in the regular season and was third in the league in defensive rating with qualified minutes. Even if that’s a flawed stat, I think he’s a very high IQ player that will pair well with Lebron. 

personally I think the a clippers did better by getting Ibaka then Lakers did by getting Montrell but he shouldn’t be underestimated. With Lebron and AD you should always be playing one and pairing either of those guys with a secondary unite with Montrell and Schroeder is going to be quite deadly for a secondary unit. 

Well the reason why my gut says the Marc Gasol signing is bad stems from watching his games during the bubble. He just looked really washed at that point & didn't look like he could bounce back from it. His age (35) also suggests that a turnaround from the bubble stats are unlikely (especially if they intend to save his best for the playoffs). That said, you're not wrong about his IQ for the game. I'm hoping he proves me wrong & would like to see if the Lakers can pull off another ring.

54 minutes ago, tazdingo said:

I would say that on any other team buuuut his brother pau gasol played and won 2 championships with the Lakers. He probably told his brother work hard do your role they will treat you great and you can join me in the family table as saying we are nba champions

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
  • Haha 1

Gasol is finished. I remember he was injured for quite awhile but the dude finished 11th round. He never really looked into the season. In real life he might be okay, but last season he was always “do I drop him for the waiver wire pickup of the week”.

Laker still need another 5 and I hope they resign Kief. Besides that, doesn’t get much better than the offseason they’ve had. Had they resigned Dwight as that 5 it would’ve been picture perfect. Harrell will be a good fit offensively with Bron and AD and while he is a liability defensively, people are quick to forget that he was the Flippers best defender 2 years ago against Golden State. I remember seeing something about that. So yes, he was bad in the bubble and is a downgrade defensively, he’s an upgrade offensively for a team that desperately needed scoring outside the Big 2. Gasol might be almost washed but I saw someone else said that even an almost washed Gasol is still an upgrade over McGee. He has an outside shooting game, high BBIQ, great passer. All things McGee isn’t. And if he does still have something in the tank, that’s a great signing for LA. Would’ve rather had Ibaka but hey, still a great offseason. 

47 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Gasol is finished. I remember he was injured for quite awhile but the dude finished 11th round. He never really looked into the season. In real life he might be okay, but last season he was always “do I drop him for the waiver wire pickup of the week”.

As if they signed gasol to be his prime self. His role is simple, spend 100% on defense and if you get 2 points here or there bonus. He signed for nba level garbage lol.

19 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

As if they signed gasol to be his prime self. His role is simple, spend 100% on defense and if you get 2 points here or there bonus. He signed for nba level garbage lol.

Yeah people act like we signed him to score 15 a game and be one of our best players. We signed him for his leadership, playoff experience, BBIQ, things that have nothing to do with whether he’s washed or not. While he’s obviously not his former self, he still shoots the ball well from outside, is a good passer for a big, can defend the rim, and can still somewhat guard players on the perimeter. McGee, even as much as I loved him as an energy guy and a solid chemistry guy, couldn’t do any of this even on his best day, except defend the rim. A 50-75% washed Gasol is still an upgrade over McGee. He’ll play limited minutes and have a limited role. You won’t hear much from him during the regular season but in the postseason he’ll be big. I think he’s the backup 5 and the Lakers go out and sign someone else.

4 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Well the reason why my gut says the Marc Gasol signing is bad stems from watching his games during the bubble. He just looked really washed at that point & didn't look like he could bounce back from it. His age (35) also suggests that a turnaround from the bubble stats are unlikely (especially if they intend to save his best for the playoffs). That said, you're not wrong about his IQ for the game. I'm hoping he proves me wrong & would like to see if the Lakers can pull off another ring.

To put things in perspective. They signed Gasol for like twice as less money as they did McGee last year. McGee road the bench in the playoffs and they won a ship. It’ll be hard for the Gasol signing to be bad .

As a good fantasy option like he was for so many years, yes he’s done. You can’t really have people on your team not playing 30+ minutes a game and I think the Lakers will be giving him 20-25 if that. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3

Markieff Morris running it back with the Lakers for the minimum. This roster is very talented. I think every Lakers fan is excited for the season and pleased with this offseason. Kieff mainly adds toughness, perimeter shooting, and depth off the bench. Nice to have him back in Purple & Gold.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Markieff Morris running it back with the Lakers for the minimum. This roster is very talented. I think every Lakers fan is excited for the season and pleased with this offseason. Kieff mainly adds toughness, perimeter shooting, and depth off the bench. Nice to have him back in Purple & Gold.

The veterans dying for a ring want to play here. i think they'll probably get another interesting non-fantasy related guy too and during buyout season they will have one of the most attractive destinations. 

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Los Angeles Lakers 2020-2021 Outlook