NBC Sports Edge Forums

Los Angeles Lakers 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This off-season has been a wet dream. Lakers are much better than the championship winning squad already.

https://streamable.com/at89lb   Will Lebron continue to ruin the Lakers Franchise in 2021? 

Agreed it's not ideal for fantasy, but this team is unbelievable. For laughs, go read through last year's lakers thread about how screwed the lakers franchise future was going to be.

12 hours ago, tazdingo said:

No Boogie on the team makes me sad. Wish they had retained him.

Yeah, would’ve been cool to see what he has left in the tank but honestly, I’m thinking he’s washed or pretty close to it. I wish him the best in Houston and hope it works out though. The Lakers need a defensive minded, active, center anyways. They’re good offensively, just need a rim protector at the 5. Gasol is a backup, not a starter at this point. Boogie didn’t fit our needs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

So far Lakers have:

Caruso, Schroeder

KCP, Wes Matthews

Lebron, Kyle Kuzma

AD?/ Markieff Morris

Gasol/Montrezz Harrell

They need another defensive big for sure. Dwight would’ve been so nice to bring back but it is what it is.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

They need another defensive big for sure. Dwight would’ve been so nice to bring back but it is what it is.

They have enough bigs (AD, Harrell, Gasol, Kuzma, Kieff) but I can see them bringing in 1 more veteran like Chandler or Dedmon(recently waived) for emergency backup. 

Schroeder/Caruso

KCP/Wes/THT

Lebron/Kuz/Wes

AD/Markieff/Kuz

Harrell/Gasol/Markieff

They might switch Gasol for Harrell if they can get Harrell to understand he will get the majority of the minutes at the position even if he is not starting. They will stagger minutes so one of Schroeder/Lebron is on the court at all times. They will also stagger so that Schroeder/Harrell can play a lot of pick and roll. When they go small, Wes is at 3. They can also play Kieff at the 5.

Stacked team. The only variable is how THT pans out. If he can be legit, he may displace Wes for backup SG minutes. Then Wes becomes solely a backup SF.

It's not a great picking grounds for fantasy, since there are no breakouts to expect on this very stable team.

On 11/25/2020 at 2:13 PM, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Schroeder/Caruso

KCP/Wes/THT

Lebron/Kuz/Wes

AD/Markieff/Kuz

Harrell/Gasol/Markieff

They might switch Gasol for Harrell if they can get Harrell to understand he will get the majority of the minutes at the position even if he is not starting. They will stagger minutes so one of Schroeder/Lebron is on the court at all times. They will also stagger so that Schroeder/Harrell can play a lot of pick and roll. When they go small, Wes is at 3. They can also play Kieff at the 5.

Stacked team. The only variable is how THT pans out. If he can be legit, he may displace Wes for backup SG minutes. Then Wes becomes solely a backup SF.

It's not a great picking grounds for fantasy, since there are no breakouts to expect on this very stable team.

Agreed it's not ideal for fantasy, but this team is unbelievable. For laughs, go read through last year's lakers thread about how screwed the lakers franchise future was going to be.

• Like 3

In what seems to be the storyline in every sport with a Los Angeles team, I just don't understand how any of this is good for sports. "The rich keep on getting richer".

It absolutely amazes me how idiotic and stupid some of these other teams in the league are...

Dennis Schroeder: OKC, you trade him away for a 28th pick? and Danny Green? That's ALMOST as bad as Kwame for Pau Gasol.

Montrezl and Gasol: Clippers can't get their stuff straight and basically let one of their best players just walk to their bitter rivals.

DeMar DeRozan: Now there's talks that the Lakers might ship Kuzma in exchange for DeRozan?

Barring an AD or LBJ injury, the Lakers are about as heavy as a favorite as you can get. And it's not even close. And if they somehow get DeRozan for Kuzma, who IMO, will never amount to anything in terms of winning....It's going to be straight manslaughter.

You've already got 2 of the top 4 players in the league, and quite honestly, I'd argue they have the 2 best players in the league...You got Schroeder, Gasol, Harrell and are still looking at DeRozan...

This league will be going down the drain here pretty soon...And anyone crazy enough to think that "oh, BKN has a shot, or GSW have a shot, or MIL and POR have a shot"....No they don't.

Potential Starting Lineup if Kuzma Leaves:

Dennis Schroeder - PG

LeBron James - SG

DeMar DeRozan - SF

Anthony Davis - PF

Marc Gasol - C

Montrezl Harrell, Alex Caruso, KCP, and Wes Matthews.

It's not even close...Almost guarantee that they go 65-7 this year unless they rest/don't care about the regular season.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

In what seems to be the storyline in every sport with a Los Angeles team, I just don't understand how any of this is good for sports. "The rich keep on getting richer".

It absolutely amazes me how idiotic and stupid some of these other teams in the league are...

Dennis Schroeder: OKC, you trade him away for a 28th pick? and Danny Green? That's ALMOST as bad as Kwame for Pau Gasol.

Montrezl and Gasol: Clippers can't get their stuff straight and basically let one of their best players just walk to their bitter rivals.

DeMar DeRozan: Now there's talks that the Lakers might ship Kuzma in exchange for DeRozan?

Barring an AD or LBJ injury, the Lakers are about as heavy as a favorite as you can get. And it's not even close. And if they somehow get DeRozan for Kuzma, who IMO, will never amount to anything in terms of winning....It's going to be straight manslaughter.

You've already got 2 of the top 4 players in the league, and quite honestly, I'd argue they have the 2 best players in the league...You got Schroeder, Gasol, Harrell and are still looking at DeRozan...

This league will be going down the drain here pretty soon...And anyone crazy enough to think that "oh, BKN has a shot, or GSW have a shot, or MIL and POR have a shot"....No they don't.

Potential Starting Lineup if Kuzma Leaves:

Dennis Schroeder - PG

LeBron James - SG

DeMar DeRozan - SF

Anthony Davis - PF

Marc Gasol - C

Montrezl Harrell, Alex Caruso, KCP, and Wes Matthews.

It's not even close...Almost guarantee that they go 65-7 this year unless they rest/don't care about the regular season.

Where are you hearing Kuz for DeRozan? The money doesn’t work and Pop would never trade with the Lakers. He absolutely hates him. This isn’t happening.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Schroder will be an UFA after this upcoming season. No team is gonna trade anything of big value for an unrestricted FA without confirmation that the FA player will resign with the team. Also it kinda makes sense for OKC, they got a first round pick and a veteran leader in the locker room with championship experience in b2b seasons for a young up and coming team. The Montrezl deal I agree Clippers messed up by not making him a priority, they chose Marcus over him basically. DeRozan deal was a rumor before Green was traded for Schroder. Lakers would've needed both Green/Kuzma and prob the pick to make the salaries work. 

12 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Schroder will be an UFA after this upcoming season. No team is gonna trade anything of big value for an unrestricted FA without confirmation that the FA player will resign with the team. Also it kinda makes sense for OKC, they got a first round pick and a veteran leader in the locker room with championship experience in b2b seasons for a young up and coming team. The Montrezl deal I agree Clippers messed up by not making him a priority, they chose Marcus over him basically. DeRozan deal was a rumor before Green was traded for Schroder. Lakers would've needed both Green/Kuzma and prob the pick to make the salaries work. 

1. Green is no longer on OKC which kills the “veteran leader” in the locker room.

2. Harrell did not like how the Clippers catered to Kawhi Leonard. It is well known that Harrell, Lou Williams and a couple other stars were not liking how Kawhi got preferential treatment. Harrell is gone, Shamet is gone. They are actively trying to trade Lou Williams and Beverley according to Kawhi is not a real point guard. There is your answer right there.

Just now, RedDogNamedClippers said:

1. Green is no longer on OKC which kills the “veteran leader” in the locker room.

2. Harrell did not like how the Clippers catered to Kawhi Leonard. It is well known that Harrell, Lou Williams and a couple other stars were not liking how Kawhi got preferential treatment. Harrell is gone, Shamet is gone. They are actively trying to trade Lou Williams and Beverley according to Kawhi is not a real point guard. There is your answer right there.

lol oh yeah forgot he got traded to Philly shortly after, but yeah my point stands no team is gonna offer much for an UFA on his last year without a confirmation to resign. Kawhi ain't wrong, PatBev ain't a real point guard lol. Lou's biggest problem is his nonexistent defense which basically negates his offense. Anyways can't wait for the season opener, should be a good one. 

On 12/2/2020 at 6:07 PM, DezedandConfused said:

. Also it kinda makes sense for OKC, they got a first round pick

The 28th pick of the draft is generally fairly worthless. It's better than nothing for sure, and maybe you get a role player with an off chance at a low end starter. Looking at the list below, I'm not sure the 28th pick has produced one all-star season, which is kind of incredible. The 27th pick has Rudy Gobert has an all star, that's it. The 29th pick had one Josh Howard year and Tony Parker. It's slim pickings after 20. It's really not a lot different than a 2nd round pick

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/28th-overall/280509/

38 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

The 28th pick of the draft is generally fairly worthless. It's better than nothing for sure, and maybe you get a role player with an off chance at a low end starter. Looking at the list below, I'm not sure the 28th pick has produced one all-star season, which is kind of incredible. The 27th pick has Rudy Gobert has an all star, that's it. The 29th pick had one Josh Howard year and Tony Parker. It's slim pickings after 20. It's really not a lot different than a 2nd round pick

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/28th-overall/280509/

Yeah it's all relative though, there were plenty of late 1st round/2nd round all stars and good players. Marc Gasol, Gilbert Arenas,  Boozer, Milsap, Manu, etc. Draft in general is a crapshoot, sometimes really good college players don't translate into the NBA. But yeah, my main point was OKC wasn't going to get much more than what they received for Schroder, an UFA after this upcoming season. 

Resigned Dudz giving us our big 3 of him, Bron and AD. 2021 Championship confirmed. 

Seriously though, I like seeing them bring back Dudley and Cook. They won’t play and maybe one of them gets waived during the season for a buyout player but they are great for the team chemistry. Quinn Cook is as much of a Lakers fan as anyone and you love to see it.

2 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Yeah it's all relative though, there were plenty of late 1st round/2nd round all stars and good players. Marc Gasol, Gilbert Arenas,  Boozer, Milsap, Manu, etc. 

Again, no 28th pick has ever made an all star team in the last 20-30 years from my brief inspection. It could be someone good, odds are overwhelmingly unlikely. 

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Again, no 28th pick has ever made an all star team in the last 20-30 years from my brief inspection. It could be someone good, odds are overwhelmingly unlikely. 

Again it doesn't have to be the 28th pick lol, picks later than 28 have been all stars. Again it doesn't matter because that was not the point I was making. All I was saying was OKC was not gonna get a much better deal for Schroder (UFA). OKC used that 28th pick along with the 25th pick and Rubio for the 17th pick (Pokusevski). Teams with late round picks will often package them to move up/trade for a player. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Los Angeles Lakers 2020-2021 Outlook