NBC Sports Edge Forums

How Often are Games Close?

I'm curious as to how often the H2H games in people's leagues have been close. Let's call a close game one decided by less than 10 points. Obviously a 1 point game is a lot closer than a 9.99 game, but going by less than 10 points, how many matchups have been decided by that in your league(s)?

In my 10-team league, since there are 5 games a week and we're through Week 5, there have been 25 matchups.
Of those 25, 7 games have been decided by less than 10 points (or 28% of the games).

Of the 7 close games, the losing team had a defense score negative points 3 times. In 3 of the other games, the losing team had a defensive score that was not negative, but still several points short of their projected score. In addition, counting all starting players together, including defenses, 6 of the 7 "close losers" had a player on their team score less than 1 point.

Obviously what happens in one league can be completely different in another league. But I'm curious to see of any common denominators towards close games that people may notice, along with how often close games are occurring in 2020 so far.

Don't know about percentage of games that are close in our league, but there have been some crazy close games.  I lost this week by a couple points when Chargers missed that FG where a make would've deducted points from my opponent giving me the win.  Also Mattison not getting another few inches to end the game which would've kept my opponent from getting more points from Wilson.  Another team won I believe on the last drive of a Titans prime time game a few weeks ago, by like 0.8.  Wakes up the next day and he loses with a stat correction.

We have full PPR, 6 point passing TDs, increased scoring for D/STs with 4th down stops and 3 and outs, yardage bonuses for skill position players, and still end up with some really close calls somehow despite high scoring.

• Like 1

11 of 30 in my 12 team standard league have been within 10 points. I'm 4-1 and 3 of my wins were by less than ten points. My loss was lopsided (45 points) and I followed that up with an even more lopsided (76 point margin) blowout win where my team put up wild numbers across the board (pretty much the same players who got me a 45 point margin loss the week before). 

• Like 1

I just have one team, but in Week 3 I lost by 2 points on a Monday Night comeback and in Week 4 I lost by .5 points on a Monday Night comeback. When my opponent this week had both Kamara and the Saints D on Monday and Singletary on Tuesday I was fearing a threepeat. Thankfully I also had players in those games and it didn't happen. My other games have not been close. I count 7 games total leaguewide within 10 points out of 25 so far. 

• Like 1

My league ..... 12 teams -  30 games with 7 by 10pts or less (23%).  Odd thing about it tho; 5 of those came in week 3. The Bills -4 on DEF didn't help the loser this week's game game; he lost by 2 pts.

4 games have been decided by 10-15pts. There have been a fair number of blow out win/losses. Avg score across league is 140pt with low avg of 108 and a high of 171. For reference, it's a full pt PPR and 6 pt TD.  it's 3WR and  QB/ 2 RB/ TE/ K/ DST.

12 teams, 30 games. We’ve had nine wins by less than 10, two of which were mine (I’m 5-0). The funny part there no close wins in weeks 3-4. In week 3, the score differentials were (rounded off) 39, 40, 40, 47, 52, 56. In week 4...17, 28, 29, 31, 34, 47. 

Gotta go back and do some numbers crunching for ya. But another observation that I’m sure you guys have experienced: If you were the second highest scoring team for the week...your matchup in H2H is/was the highest scoring team of the week. 

Also true when you scored the second lowest point of the week...you probably have beat up the lowest scoring team of the week in H2H matchup. Now THAT is a good feeling. 

I play in 4 leagues and have had only 4 matchups of 20 decided by 10 points or less.   3 of those 4 were the same league, and it was weeks 1-3 of the season, and I won all three, Two were nail biters, the other was a 9 point win but the only MNF player was my guy who dropped a dud- no drama.  

12 team non ppr 8 games of 30 by 10 or less and one game at 10.1

Our league also does the 11-0 high score to low score point system to qualify for playoffs,so if that's included we had a game this week(mine) where I lost a point in overall standings because an owner scored 0.4 more than I did.