NBC Sports Edge Forums

John Means 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

John Means business!

Fastball/changeup guys can be homer prone days it's not working. I wish he had another offspeed to fall back upon so I'm not completely on board, but he certainly might have jumped into must start territory.

He has a nice curve too 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The key to drafting an Orioles pitcher is to wait until they’re no longer an Orioles pitcher.

Did I accidentally stumble into the football forum with this "if you disagree with me, you must be butt hurt" nonsense?  The offseason is usually really chill over here in Fantasy Baseball Talk, so wh

Can this man finally get some respect now?

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, spivey17323 said:

[...] Watched the game and it just looked so easy for him out there. Change-up is disgusting. Pick up of the year? 

Definitely looks easy for him out there and he has awesome control too boot, can definitely see him be a top 25 pitcher rest of year 

• Like 1

Not at Yankee Stadium. Wouldn't start many there though to be fair. 

7 minutes ago, jeffr913 said:

How confident do people feel starting him tomorrow at the Yankees?

Edited by spivey17323
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, spivey17323 said:

Anyone starting him tonight? Lol 

Yep.  H2H league where I have a sizable ERA lead though.  Otherwise I'd have to think about it.  Still the Yankees are without Voit and Judge, and Taillon is a total wildcard so it's not completely ridiculous to roll him out there in the right scenario.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yet another stellar outing today by Means - nice sneaky draft pick towards later drafts [...]

30 IP, .90 WHIP, 1.5 ERA, 3 Quality Starts

Not bad, not bad

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 5

Since September 8th 2020:

Pitcher A: 49 innings, 1.84 ERA, 0.796 WHIP, 15.4 K/9
Pitcher B: 53 2/3 innings, 1.51 ERA, 0.783 WHIP, 9.9 K/9

Pitcher A is Degrom, B is yours truly.

Yet another dominant outing last night. Guy has been superb so far and is pitching like a legit ace. Saw this breakout coming last year, hope others hopped onboard. He’s still having a little trouble with the longball but that’s improved as well. Season is still young, but impressive stuff so far.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StartYourStuds said:

Since September 8th 2020:

Pitcher A: 49 innings, 1.84 ERA, 0.796 WHIP, 15.4 K/9
Pitcher B: 53 2/3 innings, 1.51 ERA, 0.783 WHIP, 9.9 K/9

Pitcher A is Degrom, B is yours truly.

Yet another dominant outing last night. Guy has been superb so far and is pitching like a legit ace. Saw this breakout coming last year, hope others hopped onboard. He’s still having a little trouble with the longball but that’s improved as well. Season is still young, but impressive stuff so far.

Don’t see why people underestimate this cat, like you said dating back to September he’s been phenomenal, this guy is so composed out there and his changeup is becoming a true game changer top 5 changeup I’m the league 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Wow just looked at fangraphs and pitch values, Means has the best changeup results wise so far this season leading the league with a 6.6 value, the next best changeup is 6.2 by gerrit Cole ,  then a big drop off with dallas Kuechel with a 3.8 value.  

Edited by Brye
  • Like 1

This guy is INCREDIBLE to watch pitch.  He absolutely is an Ace, is pitching like one and this isn't just a fluke/flash in the pan either.  He has control of every one of his pitches, easily spots his fastball and just has control on the mound.

Congrats to Means on the No-No (that should've been el perfecto!)

• Like 2
Just now, Brye said:

Why wasn’t it a perfect game? He didn’t walk anyone and no errors

Passed ball on strike 3 in the 3rd inning.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Brye said:

Why wasn’t it a perfect game? He didn’t walk anyone and no errors

Baserunner in the 3rd on a PB on strike 3. Any runner on base removes a perfect game. 

Edit: Oops, my bad, Tony. 

Edited by Flyman75
4 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Average fastball speed 92.5mph.

No need to throw 100 every pitch MLB.

MLB pitchers have to have velocity, but at some point command becomes more important than velocity. The ability to spot and mix pitches will be more beneficial than simply raring back and throwing heat.