NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kevin Gausman 2021 Outlook

brockpapersizer

Gausman’s career is reminding me of Chris Carpenter. Carpenter was trash for Toronto then he signed with the Cardinals in his “age 29” season and his career took off. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Posted this in the Cy Young thread earlier so apologize for the double posting, but as someone noted, it's criminal that his thread is barely onto the 2nd page with the year he's having. So...

...Gausman is starting to make a true believer out of me, he had another scoreless outing last night and got the W with 9ks in 5 innings of a lopsided win. He's dropping that split finger in there on any count and looks confident in any spot with his stuff, attacking hitters at will. A few times he found himself in jams and threw 3 straight blazing fastballs to stymie any chance of a rally. Its the same way that John Means in the AL is pitching even though no one thinks can keep this up. He can't, at this level, of course-the announcers mentioned his current streak of 1 ER or less  in 9 of his 10 starts now hasn't been done by a Giants pitcher since Christy Mathewson in 1901. That's an impressive name to be mentioned beside. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 3

On 5/26/2021 at 10:01 PM, Travis Burten said:

Can we say he's an ace? Cuz he's pitching like one. That splitter is just nasty, and his fastball looks like he's using that Bauer sticky

Yes we can, he went out today and gave up 2 hits in 6 innings with 7ks against the Dodgers. 62 of 72 pitches for strikes holy hell. He even chipped in an RBI single. Pretty nasty what this guy is doing right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Yes we can, he went out today and gave up 2 hits in 6 innings with 7ks against the Dodgers. 62 of 72 pitches for strikes holy hell. He even chipped in an RBI single. Pretty nasty what this guy is doing right now. 

Little surprised that they didn’t let him go at least one more inning at 72 pitches.

6 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Little surprised that they didn’t let him go at least one more inning at 72 pitches.

5-0 lead, yeah they could have left him out there but probably want to get some work for the pen. That's not such an insurmountable lead in a division game, I'd have left him in too. It's 2021, innings management is in full effect.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

5-0 lead, yeah they could have left him out there but probably want to get some work for the pen. That's not such an insurmountable lead in a division game, I'd have left him in too. It's 2021, innings management is in full effect.

Bear in mind that they will almost surely extend him 

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sun, May 30

Kevin Gausman was forced to leave Sunday's start against the Dodgers early due to tightness in his left hip.

Advice: The right-hander stretched awkwardly to make a play on a dribbler back to the mound in his final inning of work. The Giants are calling his exit purely precautionary.

Ahh now we know why....probably no big deal. Edit: I watched the play I'm sure he's fine, exactly what I imagined, he made an excellent play, not even really anything awkward or out of the ordinary but he has that lanky frame so he looks less than graceful, and he walked off normally after. Smart to end the day there though.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

(6 hrs ago) Gausman (hip) will undergo an MRI to determine the severity of his injury, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Gausman was removed from Sunday's start against the Dodgers as a precautionary measure due to left hip tightness, and manager Gabe Kapler said that the right-hander will get his MRI for "some peace of mind." Kapler said that Gausman has been dealing with his hip issue for several weeks, but he felt it flare up during Sunday's outing. Since Gausman has been able to pitch through the issue recently, there's hope that he'll be able to continue doing so, but his MRI should provide a better idea of his status moving forward.

But....

(5 hrs ago) Gausman (hip) expects to make his next start, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Gausman will undergo an MRI to determine the severity of his injury, but the issue doesn't appear to be a significant concern. The right-hander has been dealing with his hip issue for several weeks, but he was removed from Sunday's start as a precautionary measure at the end of the sixth inning after he felt it flare up while fielding a grounder. Assuming he's cleared to pitch, Gausman tentatively lines up to make his next start at home against the Cubs on Saturday.

• Like 1

Before bed tonight, I shall pray that the MRI shows nothing, and Gausman will be out there to make his next start. Guys in my league laughed at me when I kept him in my keeper league, and so far this season, the jokes on them. Gausman has just been so good, and so consistent thus far, it would be a shame to see him go down as well. I have some great SP on my team this season, and Gausman has been out producing almost all of them. As the quality starts pile up, so do the trade offers for him. Even though he's been more valuable than almost every SP drafted in front of him, he is not a big-name SP that is super sexy to own. Because of that, I feel that nobody will give up what he's actually worth via trade. If my league mates want to pay up for my other SP instead just because they want another big name on their roster, that's plenty fine with me. I have absolutely no issue riding Gausman myself.... right into the fantasy playoffs 🏆

(30 mins ago) Gausman said Monday that an MRI on his sore left hip came back clean, leaving him optimistic he remains on track to make a start during this weekend's series with the Cubs in Chicago, Maria I. Guardado of MLB.com reports.

The MRI was likely performed as a precaution, as Gausman previously said after his start Sunday against the Dodgers that he didn't expect to miss time because of the injury. Gausman will likely throw a between-starts bullpen session Tuesday or Wednesday before the Giants render a formal verdict on his status for the weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(2 hrs ago) The Giants list Gausman (hip) as their probable starter for Saturday's game against the Cubs, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports.

Gausman was cleared of a strain or any structural damage to his left hip after undergoing an MRI on Monday, so he doesn't look like he'll be forced to miss a turn through the rotation after he was removed early during his most recent outing over the weekend versus the Dodgers. The 30-year-old has been the unquestioned staff ace for a surprisingly competitive Giants team in 2021, logging a 1.40 ERA, 0.81 WHIP and 83:16 K:BB in 70.2 innings through his first 11 starts.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, brockpapersizer said:

where have you been?!

I'm around reddit if people ever really need me don't know why I had my twitter and not my u/ in my sig here because I never go on twitter. Shockingly I hate character restrictions. 

This is actually my first time on the "NBC Sports Edge" board lol. Not to tangent the thread anymore so I'll just leave this comment and probably head back to the abyss. Maybe I'll start logging back on and checking my PMs a bit more often.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, brockpapersizer said:

where have you been?!

friendly reminder this guy would by Cy Young if Degrom didnt exist

sad its only a 2 page thread

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

friendly reminder this guy would by Cy Young if Degrom didnt exist

sad its only a 2 page thread

3 months still left to play. He has a solid shot at getting the Cy if Degrom relatively comes down to earth. 0.50 ERA can’t be sustainable can it?

• Haha 1