NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Kevin Gausman 2021 Outlook

brockpapersizer

58 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

me too

You'll be glad you did, he's been great. Schedule wise it just moves him from @STL then @LAD, to most likely @LAD then PIT. Getting PIT or STL is pretty much a wash, and he was likely going to pitch in the series @LAD either way. 

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

You'll be glad you did, he's been great. Schedule wise it just moves him from @STL then @LAD, to most likely @LAD then PIT. Getting PIT or STL is pretty much a wash, and he was likely going to pitch in the series @LAD either way. 

PIT at he definitely an upgrade over STL away 

5 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

PIT at he definitely an upgrade over STL away 

STL wOBA on the year is .297, PIT is .296. Over the last 30 days Pirates wOBA is .323 while STL is still stuck at .296. At home STL jumps up to .302, but that's still fourth worst in the league. 

Is it me or has Gausman been looking a little off since the birth of that baby? Welcome to parenthood Gaus, my work has suffered since the day I had my first kid..

Seriously does anyone see a difference in his mechanics? 

27 minutes ago, Redphan said:

Is it me or has Gausman been looking a little off since the birth of that baby? Welcome to parenthood Gaus, my work has suffered since the day I had my first kid..

Seriously does anyone see a difference in his mechanics? 

He is back to being the Baltimore Gas can.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Let's drop him for Wil Crowe, he's been better for 3 innings so he must be a better pitcher.

His last two outings, with all of the time off,  have been subpar-I'm just trying to come here and get some possible injury info or news, do you have any input Dr Kimble?

Just now, Redphan said:

His last two outings, with all of the time off,  have been subpar-I'm just trying to come here and get some possible injury info or news, do you have any input Dr Kimble?

I think his head is just elsewhere. Can't blame him. His pregnant wife went to the hospital with complications and that's where it started. 

40 minutes ago, Redphan said:

Its a bad outing, and he has gotten off track, but its too reactionary to start assuming he's injured. Just some expected regression and a night he simply didn't have it. I was not watching the game, so I'm not in position to offer much insight, but also at this point in the season, what are we going to do about it? He's got far too much upside to trade him because of a 2-start setback, and I have a few teams where I really need him to keep his dominance going to win. Its not always smooth sailing, but perhaps he does have other things on his mind. I guess I don't see the need to go all Chicken Little here yet.

3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Let's drop him for Wil Crowe, he's been better for 3 innings so he must be a better pitcher.

He blew his chance at the CY award IMO last 2 games.  deGrom handed it to him on a silver platter getting hurt again . He still might win it but he has to get back to pitching like the ace he was before. Can't be getting lit up at home Vs Pittsburgh. My comment is based on the last 2 games which there is no arguement horriable. I don't however remember saying we should drop him thou? 

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Its a bad outing, and he has gotten off track, but its too reactionary to start assuming he's injured. Just some expected regression and a night he simply didn't have it. I was not watching the game, so I'm not in position to offer much insight, but also at this point in the season, what are we going to do about it? He's got far too much upside to trade him because of a 2-start setback, and I have a few teams where I really need him to keep his dominance going to win. Its not always smooth sailing, but perhaps he does have other things on his mind. I guess I don't see the need to go all Chicken Little here yet.

I am starting him next week.  Good luck to us all

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mks said:

He blew his chance at the CY award IMO last 2 games.  deGrom handed it to him on a silver platter getting hurt again . He still might win it but he has to get back to pitching like the ace he was before. Can't be getting lit up at home Vs Pittsburgh. My comment is based on the last 2 games which there is no arguement horriable. I don't however remember saying we should drop him thou? 

He was still running behind the Brewers crew in the Cy IMHO. That said good pitchers have bad starts - he had two in a row. Is it because of the baby, tacky stuff, all star break - who knows - he’s been great this year and I expect to see him do so again soon. 

22 hours ago, Cdub2k said:

Baby Curse 

As far as I am aware they have not had the baby yet. His wife was hospitalized with complications, she is still carrying. 

There's a weight he's carrying, can't blame him at all for not having his head in it if that is the case.

Hope everything turns out well for him and they have a healthy baby.

• Like 3

Something with the ASB seems to have thrown him out of his groove. I pray he is not hiding an injury. Either way, it wouldn't surprise me to see a quick little IL trip in the near future, to let him try to reset his batteries.

1 hour ago, fatbob166 said:

Something with the ASB seems to have thrown him out of his groove. I pray he is not hiding an injury. Either way, it wouldn't surprise me to see a quick little IL trip in the near future, to let him try to reset his batteries.

Wasn’t he battling a hip thing a while back that they mentioned he’d been fighting all year?

He still got a lot of Ks.  It was also Houston and the Dodgers.  The problem is that the Pirates were sprinkled in between and he still got smoked.  The other problem is that he’s been matchup proof for the past year.  He’s either hurt or dealing with mental issues.  No bueno either way.

22 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

He still got a lot of Ks.  It was also Houston and the Dodgers.  The problem is that the Pirates were sprinkled in between and he still got smoked.  The other problem is that he’s been matchup proof for the past year.  He’s either hurt or dealing with mental issues.  No bueno either way.

Post-partum