NBC Sports Edge Forums

Donovan Peoples-Jones 2020 Outlook

OK, admittedly I don't much about him, other than he's in line for more PT and targets now with OBJ on the shelf for the rest of the season. And, apparently he scored in the 99th percentile at the combine and was a 5-star prospect coming out of HS.  

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2020/wide-receiver/

After catching the game winning TD late in the 4th quarter last Sunday, HC Stefanski had this to say about DPJ: “He is Mr. Reliable. He can line up anywhere, a very intelligent player. To see him go make a play with the ball in the air was outstanding. There are going to be opportunities for him moving forward just like that.”

While many were running to the WW this week to grab Higgins, what I'm wondering is this they guy to own? Maybe more boom or bust week to week, but I really like his upside.

Would appreciate any Michigan faithful or Browns fans that want to add to this thread. Guy's sitting on my wire right now for free!

• Like 3

He’s a better dynasty acquisition and a higher upside play than Higgins. Dynamic athlete who’s production in college didn’t match the physical talent. Risk that he’s just a great athlete and not a great football player but I like shooting for upside so I scooped DPJ over Higgins. 

• Like 3

He is just 21 yrs old and a crazy good athlete, sounds like he has been working hard too. The Athletic had some interesting thoughts on him:

"At 6-foot-2, 212 lbs., Peoples-Jones has outstanding body control and has repeatedly shown the ability to hang in the air and play above the rim to haul in contested catches. To further illustrate his athleticism, during the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine, Peoples-Jones recorded the best vertical jump of all 2020 NFL Scouting Combine participants. His vertical leap of 44.5 inches was two inches shy of the combine record set by Gerald Sensabaugh in 2005."

"Peoples-Jones made the game-winning grab against the Cincinnati Bengals in the battle of Ohio last week. Given the moniker “Mr. Reliable” by Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski, the sixth-round pick out of Michigan is routinely praised by Cleveland’s coaching staff for his intelligence, as well as his versatility. Peoples-Jones possesses the ability to line up outside or in the slot, which is only going to increase his chances to contribute to the Browns’ offense."

4 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Definitely belongs in three-wide sets on the rookie all-name team along with Gandy-Golden and Quintez Cephus. (RB would obviously be the Lamical Gangster and the TE Albert Okwhamalamadingdong.)

I like to call him Donny Folks-Jones

• Haha 2

Rare to find a prospect with this many beastly measurables as a 6th round pick.  For me, a pickup of Rashard Higgins is about as boring as it gets. I'd rather scoop up this cat for the upside.  After all, he did just win the game last week.  He could be a monster.  

Edited by mikeflavaz
  • Like 1

I actually rostered him in my dynasty league prior to the injury which shows more about how terrible my team is during this rebuild than anything else.  I mean he's got great measurable, but so have SOOOOOOOO many players in the past that haven't done anything special.  This is still a run first offense with established playmakers in front of him.  It took an OBJ injury and Baker Mayfield literally having the best game of his life for this guy to get 3 targets. 

Crazier things have happened(Right Victor Cruz) but I find it very hard for this guy to be any sort of difference maker in 2020.  If you are in dynasty leagues with deeper benches then he's probably worth a stash to see how things play out, especially in the off-season for the Browns, but season long leagues that are less than 14 teams, I find it hard to roster this guy at this part of the season. 

6 hours ago, Mr_X said:

Is this guy worth a stash, considering OBJ?

Yes... 

6 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

Ok, admittedly, every time I see his name, I see Popeye Jones.

image.jpeg.6c95dd2eb9da64b0ebabd1e051e0f95f.jpeg

Meh alone on an island there... I see more little nicky in popeyespacer.png

On 10/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, hard1 said:

I think he may bust out this week

I picked him up and starting him this week based on this and every time i see Peoples-Jones in my line up i giggle.

• Haha 1