NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Turner 2021 Outlook

It's still absurdly early in the season, but dude has been scorching the ball. Hitting over 400, has 2 bombs, and has even managed to rob a home run. He won't stay healthy this year, but he really does play at an elite level when he's on the field.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's also the fact that Turner KNEW he was COVID positive and still was out there taking off his mask and hugging people. That's pretty low, and doesn't really compare to people who have no idea if

I had this take in the World Series thread but thing it should be here instead:   I hope Turner gets a serious suspension...like half the 2021 season. He likely consciously made the decision

He deserves some sort of suspension it seems, no doubt. Pretty egregious from what it seems from the details we know. Hope nobody else got sick because of it.  Sometimes I put myself in the position o

I love JT (red bird) it’s what I call him, he’s always been a professional hitter. If u have the ability and depth to play the platoon game with him he absolutely smashes LHP. This schedule has been filled with them, as he runs into more RHP it’s ok to respectful ask him to take a seat on ur bench. 

but there isn’t any1 besides him...who is enjoying this ride more!!! 

On 4/10/2021 at 11:42 PM, AnonymousRob said:

It's still absurdly early in the season, but dude has been scorching the ball. Hitting over 400, has 2 bombs, and has even managed to rob a home run. He won't stay healthy this year, but he really does play at an elite level when he's on the field.

He did rob a home run from his teammate Bellinger on Opening Day with some bad baserunning, but did he actually rob a HR? I must have missed this.

• 4 weeks later...

Turner came away with his first career Golden Sombrero tonight against the Mariners in his 1148th game played. Naturally I was curious, and expected to find Stanton (4th, 21) and Gallo (9th, 17) high on the list. Both should easily surpass all-time leader Ryan Howard's 27 some day, although Chris Davis with 26 would be a lock to grab a share if he ever makes it back on the field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So the first Golden Sombrero was a bit ominous perhaps, as he's really struggled over the past month to the tune of .200/.309/.295. He's mostly striking out 7 pts above his career high at 22%, otherwise his profile seems normal. He's walking a couple points more than normal, and recording a career high 47% hard hit rate. He's busted out a bit tonight with a couple hits and his 8th HR. I'm a fan of Turner but I think it would be wise to shop him around.

Not to give ridiculous advice that he's "due for an injury" but that is part of his profile, and if you didn't want to sell him after that early season hot start, you still have an opportunity. The overall numbers still look good, but the Dodgers lineup hasn't been as good as expected. His main appeal is the counting stats, and he's very useful in OBP leagues as stated before, but the average at .274 isn't ideal. There are a lot of teams struggling in BA that might view him as a stabilizer, so if you can afford a hit in BA consider moving him for someone with more power or speed and less injury risk.  Even with the 8 HRs he's not someone likely to reach 30 unless he plays the entire season. 

I dunno, Turner was barely a top 200 pick in drafts, so it's hard for me to see anyone paying anything of value for him just because he's outearned that draft position by a bit.  He's a known quantity  that everyone knows will get Dodgered to the IL occasionally and get his usual veteran days off, so I think the right move is just to hold on for whatever he's got.  Bellinger, Seager, and others will be back soon and get the lineup back to the counting stats goodness we've come to expect.  If he does have a lengthier DL stay, you IL him or cut him and move on.