NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jakobi Meyers 2020 Outlook

With Julian Edelman out for an extended period and N'Keal Harry dealing with a concussion, Meyers will likely be in the starting lineup and could end up becoming the default #1 wr for the Patriots.  Meyers was the star of last year's preseason for the team and I think he's definitely worth adding in 14 team and possibly 12 team leagues.

Edited by sjm76
  • Like 1
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like you, new guy. You better be right btw.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Fulgham after week 5. You're also being disingenuous, his first productive game was week 7--the first game he was given the opportunity to be a full tim

[...]  think rw is overly optimistic on an offense that is clearly in disarray, but there could be some decent upside here?  

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports Julian Edelman (knee) is expected to miss "some game action."

Edelman's knee injury has made him a non-factor over the past month, totaling eight catches for 79 yards in that span. Jakobi Meyers looked much more explosive off the bench last week, recording 4/60 on six targets from Cam Newton. Meyers should be added immediately in 14-team leagues whereas Edelman can be universally dropped in every format.

Edited by tonycpsu
Merged.
33 minutes ago, Breesus said:

Someone does have to catch passes. The key is how many passes. In a 12-14 team league full ppr he might be worth a bench spot if you have the room. Going to be a rough passing game if the ultra-windy forecast holds true.

Some blurbs from around the net........

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/injuries-could-mean-opportunity-two-young-patriots

N’Keal Harry suffered a concussion against the Niners that knocked him from Sunday’s game early, opening up an opportunity for fellow second-year wideout Jakobi Meyers to step in. Harry was not present at Wednesday’s practice, indicating he still has to progress through the NFL’s concussion protocol before being cleared for practice and then game action in Western New York.

Meyers led the Patriots with four catches for 60 yards on six targets over the weekend, immediately showing some chemistry with quarterback Cam Newton despite not playing the previous week against the Broncos at home. Meyers has another long reception wiped out due to a holding penalty called on Joe Thuney. 

Against the Bills, if Harry is out, Meyers would have a chance to compete against a secondary that has not been as strong a unit as it has been in years past. They’re 15th in the NFL in points allowed (25.4) and 14th in yards allowed per pass attempt (7.3). When it comes to passer rating allowed, they’re 23rd (99.5). When looking at overall DVOA, they’re the 21st defense in football, per Football Outsiders, and they’re 18th in pass defense DVOA. 

Why Patriots WR Jakobi Meyers should start over N'Keal Harry

October 28, 2020 9:00 am

Following the New England Patriots disappointing loss to the San Francisco 49ers, several questions have emerged. One position that is in flux is the wide receiver spot. There is no doubt that the Patriots need to find some way to get production from the unit. In that case, it is fair to pose the question of whether Jakobi Meyers should start over N’Keal Harry?

Just looking at it from a production standpoint, Myers had a better game on Sunday. He had four catches for 60 yards, including a 21-yard grab which was his longest of the afternoon. From the time he stepped on the field, he looked like he was more in-sync with quarterback Cam Newton. Although he did not put up monster numbers, he made an immediate impact as soon as he got into the football game.

Right now, Harry is on the mend with a concussion. Aside from just the concussion, he struggled on Sunday. He could not get separation from the defenders, and it was painfully obvious that this was going to be a problem for him throughout the course of the game.

At the very least, Meyers deserves a shot to play over Harry. Aside from the Seattle game, Harry has not really had a notable amount of production. Aside from the Seattle game, he has struggled getting separation from his defenders and has looked slow. He is not doing anything that warrants Meyers not at least getting a look at the position.

It’s no secret that New England has struggled at the wide receiver position all season. Starting Meyers would not hurt the Patriots unit at this point — not like Harry seems to be doing. It is time for him to start over Harry, as the Patriots options and time to string wins together is getting slimmer.

from FFToolbox

2020 Outlook: Super Sleeper (high risk/potential)

Last updated on Jul-17-2020 by Shawn Childs

In his rookie season, Meyer caught 26 of his 41 targets for 359 yards over 15 games. In his only start, he gained 74 yards with four catches on nine targets. Meyers played well in Week 6 (5/47) and Week 7 (5/47) when he caught all nine of his targets off the bench. Last preseason with Jarrett Stidham behind center for most plays, Meyers caught 20 passes for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

In his junior season at North Carolina State, he finished with 92 catches for 1,047 yards and four TDs. Meyers runs good routes, and his hands graded well, coming out of college. There's intrigue here if he earns a starting role.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, wahl35 said:

Someone does have to catch passes. The key is how many passes. In a 12-14 team league full ppr he might be worth a bench spot if you have the room. Going to be a rough passing game if the ultra-windy forecast holds true.

Some blurbs from around the net........

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/injuries-could-mean-opportunity-two-young-patriots

N’Keal Harry suffered a concussion against the Niners that knocked him from Sunday’s game early, opening up an opportunity for fellow second-year wideout Jakobi Meyers to step in. Harry was not present at Wednesday’s practice, indicating he still has to progress through the NFL’s concussion protocol before being cleared for practice and then game action in Western New York.

Meyers led the Patriots with four catches for 60 yards on six targets over the weekend, immediately showing some chemistry with quarterback Cam Newton despite not playing the previous week against the Broncos at home. Meyers has another long reception wiped out due to a holding penalty called on Joe Thuney. 

Against the Bills, if Harry is out, Meyers would have a chance to compete against a secondary that has not been as strong a unit as it has been in years past. They’re 15th in the NFL in points allowed (25.4) and 14th in yards allowed per pass attempt (7.3). When it comes to passer rating allowed, they’re 23rd (99.5). When looking at overall DVOA, they’re the 21st defense in football, per Football Outsiders, and they’re 18th in pass defense DVOA. 

Why Patriots WR Jakobi Meyers should start over N'Keal Harry

October 28, 2020 9:00 am

Following the New England Patriots disappointing loss to the San Francisco 49ers, several questions have emerged. One position that is in flux is the wide receiver spot. There is no doubt that the Patriots need to find some way to get production from the unit. In that case, it is fair to pose the question of whether Jakobi Meyers should start over N’Keal Harry?

Just looking at it from a production standpoint, Myers had a better game on Sunday. He had four catches for 60 yards, including a 21-yard grab which was his longest of the afternoon. From the time he stepped on the field, he looked like he was more in-sync with quarterback Cam Newton. Although he did not put up monster numbers, he made an immediate impact as soon as he got into the football game.

Right now, Harry is on the mend with a concussion. Aside from just the concussion, he struggled on Sunday. He could not get separation from the defenders, and it was painfully obvious that this was going to be a problem for him throughout the course of the game.

At the very least, Meyers deserves a shot to play over Harry. Aside from the Seattle game, Harry has not really had a notable amount of production. Aside from the Seattle game, he has struggled getting separation from his defenders and has looked slow. He is not doing anything that warrants Meyers not at least getting a look at the position.

It’s no secret that New England has struggled at the wide receiver position all season. Starting Meyers would not hurt the Patriots unit at this point — not like Harry seems to be doing. It is time for him to start over Harry, as the Patriots options and time to string wins together is getting slimmer.

from FFToolbox

2020 Outlook: Super Sleeper (high risk/potential)

Last updated on Jul-17-2020 by Shawn Childs

In his rookie season, Meyer caught 26 of his 41 targets for 359 yards over 15 games. In his only start, he gained 74 yards with four catches on nine targets. Meyers played well in Week 6 (5/47) and Week 7 (5/47) when he caught all nine of his targets off the bench. Last preseason with Jarrett Stidham behind center for most plays, Meyers caught 20 passes for 253 yards and two touchdowns.

In his junior season at North Carolina State, he finished with 92 catches for 1,047 yards and four TDs. Meyers runs good routes, and his hands graded well, coming out of college. There's intrigue here if he earns a starting role.

Thanks for the info, now that is how you start a new forum! Made mine look like a toddler typed it 

edit: didn’t see there was already a forum made, my bad guys 

Edited by Breesus
20 hours ago, mrfrood said:

Is White gonna be guarding him? Meyers could have a solid game this week.

One of the Bills' corners, Stephon Gilmore, was just ruled out.  Not sure if White will be on Meyers or Damiere Byrd.

• Haha 1
38 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

yikestown population you bro. 

Well he was on the Bills.....back in 2016.  Doh!

I don't really keep up as to where cornerbacks or defensive players in general sign as free agents unless they're big names.

Edited by sjm76
25 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I don't really keep up as to where cornerbacks or defensive players in general sign as free agents unless they're big names.

He was in fact a big name for them to acquire, nbd though, but it is a big deal for him to be out for this game. 

57 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I mean, he earned Defensive Player of the Year pretty recently.

I have wanted to stash Myers since watching him during camp and reading the buzz last year. He's got great feet, good acceleration, good routes, etc by all accounts. He's just been buried on the depth chart consistently. The times he's been in games, he's made some plays.

If Newton were playing better, I might feel more optimistic. As it is, I'm going to have to see some usage and volume before I think he's better than many other speculative plays.

11 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

I mean, he earned Defensive Player of the Year pretty recently.

Like I said, I don't really keep up with where defensive players sign unless it's a huge name and I last remembered him playing for Buffalo even though it was 4 years ago.

[...] Jakobi seems like a perfect example of a guy who is in the perfect fantasy situation to get touches, but not necessarily a great player otherwise in reality. I'm not sure if he'll repeat his last couple weeks ever again, but I'll probably play him and hope for the best. He does have potential, but its always hard to predict this offense.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed assistant coach content
12 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Patriots implied 25 points seems to indicate opportunity for him, no?

I'm using him as a backup in case Crowder can't go. Seems like a good bet for 5/50 at least. If Cam can't get anything going against the Jets D then it's 100% safe to say he sucks.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nickmo said:

I'm using him as a backup in case Crowder can't go. Seems like a good bet for 5/50 at least. If Cam can't get anything going against the Jets D then it's 100% safe to say he sucks.

Same situation here, was between him and Berrios and I’ll take Meyers. 

• Like 1

I think he is strictly a floor guy.  Doesn’t do anything special but gets open with quickness and football IQ.  Seems to be Cam’s favorite target based on the last two games and getting open consistently.  Decent FLEX imo.

• Like 1