NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jakobi Meyers 2020 Outlook

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like you, new guy. You better be right btw.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Fulgham after week 5. You're also being disingenuous, his first productive game was week 7--the first game he was given the opportunity to be a full tim

4 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Like I said before, I looked at the guys outside the top 50 wideouts based on roster% and said these are the guys I would consider above Jakobi Meyers. These are the guys I would consider after the handcuff RBs and defenses I would otherwise prefer to roster, and I offered this list because the guy asked me to do so without otherwise qualifying what he was talking about. I gave the guy 12 names including many who are rostered in fewer than 5% of leagues, so please relax and spare me the bush league garbage about me not understanding fantasy football or making disinginuous arguments, simply because Corey Davis made the list. 

In regards to the KC and SEA players, yes. Their upside in the event of injury are far greater than Jakobi's and they play in offenses that actually move the ball and score touchdowns. Would I start them this very moment? No. But they have potential to help me when it counts, which is more than I can say about Jakobi Meyers when N'Keal Harry (as soon as this week) and Julien Edelman (maybe in 2-3 weeks) are healthy, because Jakobi plays in a bad offense that rarely supports even a single successful fantasy receiver (as evidenced by the 2 for 17 mark of wide receiver success that I noted above).

On the year, the Patriots passing attack has been BRUTAL and moved the ball only against the Seahawks (arguably one of the worst pass defenses ever) and Jets. Their TD to INT ratio is 3:11 for god sakes.

Regarding the Ravens matchup: They are the number 1 scoring defense in the NFL and are giving up only 223.1 pass yards per game despite facing the 5th most pass attempts (38.5 per game). I'll be surprised if Cam surpasses 200 yards passing in this one. We can't trust Jakobi here.

Regarding the Texans: Yes, their defense is not good, but they primarily struggle on the ground (159.5 yards per game). They are closer to the league average against the pass, and there's no reason to believe Bill Belichick will move away from the ground game in this one. Again, can't trust Jakobi here.

After that, the Patriot wideout room will be at or near full health, and a tough playoff schedule remains. Even if things break favorably for Jakobi (i.e. Edelman and Harry continue to miss time) it's still way too volatile a situation to bank on against the Rams, Dolphins, or Bills down the stretch.

Why would anyone sign up for this headache?

You make my point of how you claim so many of the names are owned in 5% or less leagues.  Yet you list multiple names owned in over 50% of leagues.  Honestly outside of Corey Davis and Allen Lazard I'd much rather have Jakobi over every other name you listed just based on a talent and upside perspective.

Yes there are valid concerns.  Run first team, Cam's play has been suspect and hes a TD vulture with how good of a goal line asset he is.  Yes the schedule isn't favorable.  But again it isnt as bad as most are trying to say.  LAR & BAL are the two games I worry about.  Otherwise MIA could be the other bad one.  But the rest of his games arent against shut down defenses by any means.

Back to Cam.  He will play better the further removed from covid he gets as well as the more the team gets to practice.  The 3 to 11 ratio will obviously continue to trend closer to a normal rate around 1 to 1.

NE hasn't had a true WR1 in a long time and from what we've seen the last few weeks they may be starting to develop one.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Travis Burten said:

LMAO @ everyone loweing his value because of TDs. Newsflash kids, it's football, and TD's happen. It happens to everyone who gets usage. You aim for guys who can build their foundation points off of receptions and yards, and for a guy like this who could drop 10-20 pts on yard/rec alone, the TDs would just bolster him into elite status. 

If he found the endzone, his line would look like Davante Adams. 

💥Newsflash💥

Unless you are in a full PPR league, TDs matter in fantasy football. You certainly can't bank on them, but it's foolish not to pursue WRs that have greater red zone presence on teams with higher scoring offenses, on top of targets. Just because you are a WR1 on a bad offensive team doesn't mean you have an instant ticket to fantasy relevance.

Cam Newton has TWO passing touchdowns this season. In SEVEN games.

And both came vs. SEA & LV in Weeks 2 & 3, two of the worst defenses in the league this season. He has ZERO passing touchdowns in 4 games since he returned from Covid (but has thrown 5 picks) and he has ZERO passing touchdowns to wide receivers, including Jakobi.

In fact Jakobi has ONE target (which he caught) inside the 20 yard line all season, which obviously includes his recent 3 game sample size surge.

Cam's two touchdown passes were:

1 yard pass to fullback Jakob Johnson (Who?) (Wk 2)

11 yard passt to running back Rex Burkhead (Wk 3)

Cam spreads the high value red zone touches (when he gets them) around the offense, especially relying on his pass-catching backs, if he doesn't take them for himself.

Cam has less passing touchdowns this season than the likes of:

Mitch Trubisky (6)

Dwanye Haskins (4)

Kyle Allen (4)

Jeff Driskel (3)

Sam Darnold (3)

Cam Newton is also 28th in passing yards this season.

Yes, he missed a game and a bye and the Covid layoff affected him. But he's averaging 202 passing yards a game... heavily skewed by an early shootout with the worst pass defense in the league (397 yards) and having to play catch up to one of the worst overall teams in the league (274 yards). Opportunities the Patriots aren't going to have quite as good the rest of the season.

"But who else is he going to throw it to other than Jakobi????"

Damien Byrd is averaging 42 yards/game. James White 32/g. Rex Burkhead 19/g. N'Keal Harry 28/g before his injury.

All of them are pathetic. Because Cam's passing stats have been pathetic by modern NFL standards. The ball gets spread around, because if it doesn't and Meyers is the only viable pass-catcher, teams are going to lock him down as the featured receiver. That gives an average of 80 yards to Meyers each week if no other trick players like Olszewski or Johnson pick up receiving yards.

For Jakobi Meyers to "drop" 10-20 pts on a regular basis without any TDs he would need:

PPR: 5/50 - 10/100

0.5 PPR: 6/70- 10/150

Standard: 100-200 yards

Is it possible that he does this week in and week out the rest of the season? Of course. And I hope he does. And maybe his growing rapport with Cam Newton turns the corner for both of them. He's worth a stash to see if his targets stay high. But as long as Cam Newton is QB and Bill Belichick is running this team, he's going to find a hard path to achieve those numbers and break into the top 30 receivers every week this season without touchdowns or high value touches. As a dynasty hold he looks better, you've got nothing to lose there.

• Like 3

Could he become a nice WW gem WR for this season? Yup (valid arguments to back it up)

Could he fall into irrelevance in short order? Yup (valid arguments to back it up)

Consensus

Is he a nice stash right now? universal yup from both parties

there, summed up the thread hah fingers crossed for those who grabbed him 🤞

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, kmoore1521 said:

Could he become a nice WW gem WR for this season? Yup (valid arguments to back it up)

Could he fall into irrelevance in short order? Yup (valid arguments to back it up)

Consensus

Is he a nice stash right now? universal yup from both parties

there, summed up the thread hah fingers crossed for those who grabbed him 🤞

Sums it up. Grab him, stash him and see what happens. If you have the bench space then why not?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prezkot said:

💥Newsflash💥

Unless you are in a full PPR league, TDs matter in fantasy football. You certainly can't bank on them, but it's foolish not to pursue WRs that have greater red zone presence on teams with higher scoring offenses, on top of targets. Just because you are a WR1 on a bad offensive team doesn't mean you have an instant ticket to fantasy relevance.

Cam Newton has TWO passing touchdowns this season. In SEVEN games.

And both came vs. SEA & LV in Weeks 2 & 3, two of the worst defenses in the league this season. He has ZERO passing touchdowns in 4 games since he returned from Covid (but has thrown 5 picks) and he has ZERO passing touchdowns to wide receivers, including Jakobi.

In fact Jakobi has ONE target (which he caught) inside the 20 yard line all season, which obviously includes his recent 3 game sample size surge.

Cam's two touchdown passes were:

1 yard pass to fullback Jakob Johnson (Who?) (Wk 2)

11 yard passt to running back Rex Burkhead (Wk 3)

Cam spreads the high value red zone touches (when he gets them) around the offense, especially relying on his pass-catching backs, if he doesn't take them for himself.

Cam has less passing touchdowns this season than the likes of:

Mitch Trubisky (6)

Dwanye Haskins (4)

Kyle Allen (4)

Jeff Driskel (3)

Sam Darnold (3)

Cam Newton is also 28th in passing yards this season.

Yes, he missed a game and a bye and the Covid layoff affected him. But he's averaging 202 passing yards a game... heavily skewed by an early shootout with the worst pass defense in the league (397 yards) and having to play catch up to one of the worst overall teams in the league (274 yards). Opportunities the Patriots aren't going to have quite as good the rest of the season.

"But who else is he going to throw it to other than Jakobi????"

Damien Byrd is averaging 42 yards/game. James White 32/g. Rex Burkhead 19/g. N'Keal Harry 28/g before his injury.

All of them are pathetic. Because Cam's passing stats have been pathetic by modern NFL standards. The ball gets spread around, because if it doesn't and Meyers is the only viable pass-catcher, teams are going to lock him down as the featured receiver. That gives an average of 80 yards to Meyers each week if no other trick players like Olszewski or Johnson pick up receiving yards.

For Jakobi Meyers to "drop" 10-20 pts on a regular basis without any TDs he would need:

PPR: 5/50 - 10/100

0.5 PPR: 6/70- 10/150

Standard: 100-200 yards

Is it possible that he does this week in and week out the rest of the season? Of course. And I hope he does. And maybe his growing rapport with Cam Newton turns the corner for both of them. He's worth a stash to see if his targets stay high. But as long as Cam Newton is QB and Bill Belichick is running this team, he's going to find a hard path to achieve those numbers and break into the top 30 receivers every week this season without touchdowns or high value touches. As a dynasty hold he looks better, you've got nothing to lose there.

Never trust someone with Scam Newton throwing the ball. 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Took 9 games for this production. Im chalking it up as a Fluke.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Fulgham after week 5. You're also being disingenuous, his first productive game was week 7--the first game he was given the opportunity to be a full time player.

Edited by paulwall29
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Fulgham after week 5. You're also being disingenuous, his first productive game was week 7--the first game he was given the opportunity to be a full time player.

Dude. This is the second time you've called someone "disingenuous", yet you're the one who:

... said Julien Edelman is "washed" because of his last 4 games (specifically leaving out the fact that he caught 8 passes for 179 yards in week 2 before dealing with an injury throughout all of October)
... said N'Keal Harry's healthy games aren't applicable to this situation (despite his return to practice yesterday)
... said Cam Newton called Jakobi his "go to guy" (he hasn't)
... implied that I called you "crazy" (I didn't)
... implied that I told you to pick up Zach Pascal (I didn't)
... sarcastically asked me if I've heard of "game flow" or "garbage time" (despite our being on a freakin fantasy football forum)
... implied that, unless every player on every fantasy waiver wire article from every major fantasy site from September through November is rostered in a given league, the league is not "competitive"
... cited only 2 games of Jakobi's in comparison to Harry's career (intentionally leaving out every near useless game of Jakobi career)
... and said that questioning Jakobi's usefulness going forward is "patently absurb" despite the many logical reasons to doubt him already presented to you

Tell me again who's being disingenuous.

5 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Took 9 games for this production. Im chalking it up as a Fluke.

That's because he had Edelman and N'Keal Harry in front of him not to mention Damiere Byrd in front of him for targets.  Meyers has passed Byrd and even when Harry returns which could be this week, I still expect Meyers to be the main guy.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Dude. This is the second time you've called someone "disingenuous", yet you're the one who:

... said Julien Edelman is "washed" because of his last 4 games (specifically leaving out the fact that he caught 8 passes for 179 yards in week 2 before dealing with an injury throughout all of October)
... said N'Keal Harry's healthy games aren't applicable to this situation (despite his return to practice yesterday)
... said Cam Newton called Jakobi his "go to guy" (he hasn't)
... implied that I called you "crazy" (I didn't)
... implied that I told you to pick up Zach Pascal (I didn't)
... sarcastically asked me if I've heard of "game flow" or "garbage time" (despite our being on a freakin fantasy football forum)
... implied that, unless every player on every fantasy waiver wire article from every major fantasy site from September through November is rostered in a given league, the league is not "competitive"
... cited only 2 games of Jakobi's in comparison to Harry's career (intentionally leaving out every near useless game of Jakobi career)
... and said that questioning Jakobi's usefulness going forward is "patently absurb" despite the many logical reasons to doubt him already presented to you

Tell me again who's being disingenuous.

You. I would do a breakdown but I don't care. It's impressive that you took the time to type all of that in a word doc and copy and paste it tho

Edited by paulwall29
  • Haha 2

FWIW ....some recent interweb blurbs ....

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-week-10-waiver-wire-duke-johnson-john-brown-dallas-goedert-could-be-difference-makers/

It's going to be tough to play Meyers in Week 10 against Baltimore given the difficult matchup, but you definitely want him on your Fantasy team. He has 24 targets in his past two games and just had a dominant performance against the Jets in Week 9 with 12 catches for 169 yards on 14 targets. Things could change once Edelman and Harry are healthy, but Meyers has great rapport with Cam Newton right now. And after Baltimore, Meyers gets Houston in Week 11 in a great matchup. He's worth at least 10% of your remaining FAB. 

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-week-10-wr-cb-matchups-and-te-breakdown

WR/CB breakdown: Over the past three weeks, Meyers has hung 4-60-0, 6-58-0 and 12-169-0 performances on the 49ers, Bills and Jets, respectively. The Patriots’ undisputed No. 1 WR could’ve had an even bigger Monday night had Cam Newton managed to hit him deep on a potential walk-in 70-yard score.

This matchup is objectively awful. There’s nowhere to hide against the Ravens’ trio of elite corners, and Newton will undoubtedly face heavy pressure throughout the evening. Meyers has enough volume to still warrant upside WR3 treatment in this spot and should be a WR2 more weeks than not moving forward; just realize this Patriots passing game has been unwatchable at times, and this is their toughest test of the season.

https://www.rotoballer.com/undervalued-wr-breakouts-2020-fantasy-football/802481

Since Week 6, Meyers is seventh in the NFL in air yards (and is behind Darnell Mooney, who I almost wrote about in this article.) He's gotten 65.89 percent of New England's air yards since then, by far the highest rate in the NFL over that time, with Terry McLaurin second with 49.47 percent of Washington's air yards.

The Patriots have a lot of injuries, and it's left them bereft of talent at wide receiver. With Julian Edelman having had knee surgery and no clear time line for his return except that he isn't expected to miss the rest of the season, the only thing in Meyers's way in terms of losing production is the return of N'Keal Harry, but I'm not sure anything about Harry's NFL career suggests he's a threat to Meyers.

Verdict: Meyers is going to keep performing, because New England doesn't have anyone else to perform. He's a WR2/3 play right now.

Patspulpit mailbag  ...

https://www.patspulpit.com/2020/11/12/21559830/mailbag-nfl-week-10-patriots-meyers-newton-belichick-jets

@VicariouslyP Would you elevate Jakobi Meyers to a number one or is he still a two/three receiver with inflated stats versus the number 29 ranked passing defense? #PostPulpit

Meyers has been playing great lately and I would not say he has “inflated stats” versus poor pass defenses. He is not the most athletically gifted receiver, but has been great at creating separation the last three weeks while lining up all over the field. He’s no fluke, but I still believe he’d be best as a second or third option on a team moving forward. He certainly can be the Patriots next great possession receiver, but some more talent around him would really open things up for him even more.

@grokakathegreat Does Meyers have the physical ability/potential to become a real WR1 and deep threat?

As we’ve said, Meyers lacks elite physical tools, but he’s proven to be a good wide receiver despite that. On Monday night, he was successful no matter where he lined up or what defense he went against. Meyers caught all seven of his targets for 101 yards while also drawing a holding penalty against man coverage, while hauling in five of seven targets for 68 yards against zone. And again for the separation crowd, he averaged 4.08 yards of separation Monday night, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. I still would view him more as a WR2/3 for the long-term, but he’s easily playing like the Patriots’ best skill player right now.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, wahl35 said:

FWIW ....some recent interweb blurbs ....

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-week-10-waiver-wire-duke-johnson-john-brown-dallas-goedert-could-be-difference-makers/

It's going to be tough to play Meyers in Week 10 against Baltimore given the difficult matchup, but you definitely want him on your Fantasy team. He has 24 targets in his past two games and just had a dominant performance against the Jets in Week 9 with 12 catches for 169 yards on 14 targets. Things could change once Edelman and Harry are healthy, but Meyers has great rapport with Cam Newton right now. And after Baltimore, Meyers gets Houston in Week 11 in a great matchup. He's worth at least 10% of your remaining FAB. 

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-football-week-10-wr-cb-matchups-and-te-breakdown

WR/CB breakdown: Over the past three weeks, Meyers has hung 4-60-0, 6-58-0 and 12-169-0 performances on the 49ers, Bills and Jets, respectively. The Patriots’ undisputed No. 1 WR could’ve had an even bigger Monday night had Cam Newton managed to hit him deep on a potential walk-in 70-yard score.

This matchup is objectively awful. There’s nowhere to hide against the Ravens’ trio of elite corners, and Newton will undoubtedly face heavy pressure throughout the evening. Meyers has enough volume to still warrant upside WR3 treatment in this spot and should be a WR2 more weeks than not moving forward; just realize this Patriots passing game has been unwatchable at times, and this is their toughest test of the season.

https://www.rotoballer.com/undervalued-wr-breakouts-2020-fantasy-football/802481

Since Week 6, Meyers is seventh in the NFL in air yards (and is behind Darnell Mooney, who I almost wrote about in this article.) He's gotten 65.89 percent of New England's air yards since then, by far the highest rate in the NFL over that time, with Terry McLaurin second with 49.47 percent of Washington's air yards.

The Patriots have a lot of injuries, and it's left them bereft of talent at wide receiver. With Julian Edelman having had knee surgery and no clear time line for his return except that he isn't expected to miss the rest of the season, the only thing in Meyers's way in terms of losing production is the return of N'Keal Harry, but I'm not sure anything about Harry's NFL career suggests he's a threat to Meyers.

Verdict: Meyers is going to keep performing, because New England doesn't have anyone else to perform. He's a WR2/3 play right now.

Patspulpit mailbag  ...

https://www.patspulpit.com/2020/11/12/21559830/mailbag-nfl-week-10-patriots-meyers-newton-belichick-jets

@VicariouslyP Would you elevate Jakobi Meyers to a number one or is he still a two/three receiver with inflated stats versus the number 29 ranked passing defense? #PostPulpit

Meyers has been playing great lately and I would not say he has “inflated stats” versus poor pass defenses. He is not the most athletically gifted receiver, but has been great at creating separation the last three weeks while lining up all over the field. He’s no fluke, but I still believe he’d be best as a second or third option on a team moving forward. He certainly can be the Patriots next great possession receiver, but some more talent around him would really open things up for him even more.

@grokakathegreat Does Meyers have the physical ability/potential to become a real WR1 and deep threat?

As we’ve said, Meyers lacks elite physical tools, but he’s proven to be a good wide receiver despite that. On Monday night, he was successful no matter where he lined up or what defense he went against. Meyers caught all seven of his targets for 101 yards while also drawing a holding penalty against man coverage, while hauling in five of seven targets for 68 yards against zone. And again for the separation crowd, he averaged 4.08 yards of separation Monday night, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. I still would view him more as a WR2/3 for the long-term, but he’s easily playing like the Patriots’ best skill player right now.

This is excellent work but the doubters won't care because Meyers, an undrafted free agent, hasn't done anything in his career until recently. Kind of like how we all knew Julian Edelman sucked because he didn't do anything for 4 years until he was granted a wish by a magical fairy to be given a significant opportunity to showcase his skills and he magically dropped a 105 catch season out of nowhere in his FIFTH season in the league. 

Some guy in here thinks you should pickup Demarcus Robinson and David Moore over Meyers and that Michael Pittman, Jalen Reagor, Corey Davis and Allen Lazard are better pickups on your waiver wire, the only problem is when you go to look for them on the wire they won't be there because they were already on someones roster before Meyers ever flashed.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

This is excellent work but the doubters won't care because Meyers, an undrafted free agent, hasn't done anything in his career until recently. Kind of like how we all knew Julian Edelman sucked because he didn't do anything for 4 years until he was granted a wish by a magical fairy to be given a significant opportunity to showcase his skills and he magically dropped a 105 catch season out of nowhere in his FIFTH season in the league.

Comparing Jakobi Meyers to Julian Edelman, both in terms of talent and situation, is a MAJOR STRETCH. 

Edelman was one of the most agile wide receivers in the history of the NFL coming into the league but was restricted early in his career due to injuries, talent ahead of him (Gronk, Hernandez, Moss, Branch, Welker, Lloyd, Tate), and coaching decisions, as BB often used him on defense and special teams (For instance, in the AFC Championship game following the 2011 season, Edelman played 27 snaps on offense, 27 on defense, returned 2 punts, caught a pass, ran the ball once, and forced a fumble).

As a rookie, Edelman caught 8 of 16 targets for 98 yards in week 1. He was leading all NFL rookies in receptions when he broke his arm in week 5. After returning, he caught 10 of 15 targets in week 15, followed by 6 of 8 targets for 44 yards and 2 touchdowns in the Pats playoff loss to the Ravens, becoming the first rookie to catch two TDs in a playoff game in more than 20 years. Not bad.

In his last two games of 2012, prior to breaking his foot and landing on IR, Edelman totaled 321 yards (149 on 4 punt returns) and scored 4 touchdowns, despite leaving the second game in the 3rd quarter due to a concussion. This was the last glimpse we had of Edelman before his 2013 breakout. Sarcastically saying "we all knew Julian Edelman sucked" is a red herring logical fallacy being used by you to shield yourself and distract others from the fact that Jakobi Meyers has objectively "sucked" (for the lack of a better term) for the majority of his career.

6 hours ago, paulwall29 said:

Some guy in here thinks you should pickup Demarcus Robinson and David Moore over Meyers and that Michael Pittman, Jalen Reagor, Corey Davis and Allen Lazard are better pickups on your waiver wire, the only problem is when you go to look for them on the wire they won't be there because they were already on someones roster before Meyers ever flashed.

Once again, this isn't what I said. I said I'd prefer to use the roster spot on an RB handcuff or a defense with a good upcoming matchup. I said that in terms of wideouts, I'd prefer to stash someone with higher longterm upside, and offered you a list of 12 wideouts I would consider, all of whom were outside the top 50 in terms of roster%. I didn't say "you should pickup" anybody. Continuing to say I did, while calling out other posters for being "disingenuous", is hypocritcal.

Having said that, one of the major reasons I would consider investing in the backup Seattle and KC wideouts over Jakobi Meyers is because of their upside down the stretch if an injury were to hit one of their target hogs. Edelman's breakout in 2013 happened in part because Wes Welker was no longer around, but also because of the dynamic offense he played in. The Patriots had the 2nd highest scoring offense in football, with the GOAT throwing the ball nearly 40 times per game. Volume in that kinda offense is a good recipe for success. It's not a stretch to think that a guy like Demarcus Robinson or David Moore, who have both shown flashes of success in limited roles, could find themselves in a LeAgUe WiNnIng situation, at which time you might wish you had em stashed on your bench.

Jakobi Meyers on the other hand accumulated only 359 yards and 0 touchdowns on 416 snaps last year, while playing in an offense that threw the ball nearly 40 times per game. He now plays in an offense that throws the ball only 30 times per game, and has seen the field in recent weeks only because the guys ahead of him went down with injuries. It appears one of those players (who has averaged 53.2 snaps per healthy game) will be returning this week, and the other (46.8) is not far behind. In the meantime, they are facing the #1 scoring defense in football. These are problems you can't avoid.

Could Meyers stumble into a nice game here or there going forward? Sure. But there are far too many things that need to go right for it to happen with any sort of consistency, and his ceiling will always be capped by the poor offense. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. I prefer to invest in teams with more upside.

Edited by MrCantaloupe
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, MrCantaloupe said:

Comparing Jakobi Meyers to Julian Edelman, both in terms of talent and situation, is a MAJOR STRETCH. 

Edelman was one of the most agile wide receivers in the history of the NFL coming into the league but was restricted early in his career due to injuries, talent ahead of him (Gronk, Hernandez, Moss, Branch, Welker, Lloyd, Tate), and coaching decisions, as BB often used him on defense and special teams (For instance, in the AFC Championship game following the 2011 season, Edelman played 27 snaps on offense, 27 on defense, returned 2 punts, caught a pass, ran the ball once, and forced a fumble).

As a rookie, Edelman caught 8 of 16 targets for 98 yards in week 1. He was leading all NFL rookies in receptions when he broke his arm in week 5. After returning, he caught 10 of 15 targets in week 15, followed by 6 of 8 targets for 44 yards and 2 touchdowns in the Pats playoff loss to the Ravens, becoming the first rookie to catch two TDs in a playoff game in more than 20 years. Not bad.

In his last two games of 2012, prior to breaking his foot and landing on IR, Edelman totaled 321 yards (149 on 4 punt returns) and scored 4 touchdowns, despite leaving the second game in the 3rd quarter due to a concussion. This was the last glimpse we had of Edelman before his 2013 breakout. Sarcastically saying "we all knew Julian Edelman sucked" is a red herring logical fallacy being used by you to shield yourself and distract others from the fact that Jakobi Meyers has objectively "sucked" (for the lack of a better term) for the majority of his career.

Once again, this isn't what I said. I said I'd prefer to use the roster spot on an RB handcuff or a defense with a good upcoming matchup. I said that in terms of wideouts, I'd prefer to stash someone with higher longterm upside, and offered you a list of 12 wideouts I would consider, all of whom were outside the top 50 in terms of roster%. I didn't say "you should pickup" anybody. Continuing to say I did, while calling out other posters for being "disingenuous", is hypocritcal.

Having said that, one of the major reasons I would consider investing in the backup Seattle and KC wideouts over Jakobi Meyers is because of their upside down the stretch if an injury were to hit one of their target hogs. Edelman's breakout in 2013 happened in part because Wes Welker was no longer around, but also because of the dynamic offense he played in. The Patriots had the 2nd highest scoring offense in football, with the GOAT throwing the ball nearly 40 times per game. Volume in that kinda offense is a good recipe for success. It's not a stretch to think that a guy like Demarcus Robinson or David Moore, who have both shown flashes of success in limited roles, could find themselves in a LeAgUe WiNnIng situation, at which time you might wish you had em stashed on your bench.

Jakobi Meyers on the other hand accumulated only 359 yards and 0 touchdowns on 416 snaps last year, while playing in an offense that threw the ball nearly 40 times per game. He now plays in an offense that throws the ball only 30 times per game, and has seen the field in recent weeks only because the guys ahead of him went down with injuries. It appears one of those players (who has averaged 53.2 snaps per healthy game) will be returning this week, and the other (46.8) is not far behind. In the meantime, they are facing the #1 scoring defense in football. These are problems you can't avoid.

Could Meyers stumble into a nice game here or there going forward? Sure. But there are far too many things that need to go right for it to happen with any sort of consistency, and his ceiling will always be capped by the poor offense. Guys like that are a dime a dozen. I prefer to invest in teams with more upside.

One of most agile wide receivers in the history of the NFL coming into the league? He had never played wr and was a 7th round pick, I mean granted he was obviously extremely athletic but think you're stretching things a bit.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Joe Mama said:

One of most agile wide receivers in the history of the NFL coming into the league? He had never played wr and was a 7th round pick, I mean granted he was obviously extremely athletic but think you're stretching things a bit.

He wasn't invited to the combine, but his 3.92 short shuttle time at his pro day workout was faster than anybody's at the combine. This, combined with his 6.62 three cone drill, gave Edelman a 100th percentile agility score.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ZappB said:

Even once Edelman comes back, wouldn't it make sense for Myers to keep getting lots of playtime so the Pats can decide which WRs they want for the longterm?

For sure.  Plus there's 0 reason to rush Edelman.  So don't be surprised when he misses a few more weeks yet anyway.

They may as well keep developing the future.  The Patriots have been overdue for a rebuild.  You can only keep competing in The NFL with one of the last picks in the draft for so long.

24 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

For sure.  Plus there's 0 reason to rush Edelman.  So don't be surprised when he misses a few more weeks yet anyway.

They may as well keep developing the future.  The Patriots have been overdue for a rebuild.  You can only keep competing in The NFL with one of the last picks in the draft for so long.

Huh?

1 minute ago, Rotocious said:

The Patriots constantly pick at the back end of the draft... that obviously will eventually catch up to an organization.  Hence the rebuild being over due.

Not exactly true.  They stockpile draft picks by trading when they don't see value.  They always have a ton of picks on draft day but BB hasn't really been hitting on his picks the past few years.

Unless you have a top 10 pick, it is very easy to whiff on players via the draft.

26 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

Not exactly true.  They stockpile draft picks by trading when they don't see value.  They always have a ton of picks on draft day but BB hasn't really been hitting on his picks the past few years.

Unless you have a top 10 pick, it is very easy to whiff on players via the draft.

No ... It is exactly true.

Yes they trade players for draft picks and constantly develop free agents that net them compensation picks in return but that doesn't take away from the fact that they constantly are picking at the end of each round.