NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tampa Bay Rays 2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)

I'm in complete and utter shock in regards to how bad the Rays look offensively and Cash's questionable line-up decisions.

Why he has Yoshi "S***sugo" batting leadoff is beyond any comprehendible knowledge...no offense to the guy, but he's got a .186 BA in 57 career games....and he's already off to an 0-for-11 start this season...

The fact that Cash has guys like Margot, Wendle, Brosseau, Adames, and Yandy batting so low in the order (or not at all), is head-scratching.

This is what the Rays line would look like if I were Kevin Cash:

1. Yandy Diaz / Austin Meadows (depending on whether they're facing RHP or LHP)
  2. Randy Arozarena
  3. Austin Meadows / Yandy Diaz (depending on whether they're facing RHP or LHP)
  4. Brandon Lowe
  5. Manuel Margot / Joey Wendle (depending on whether they're facing RHP or LHP)
  6. Willy Adames
  7. Mike Brosseau
  8. Kevin Kiermaier
  9. Mike Zunino

Diaz, Margot, Wendle and Brosseau are all extremely underrated hitters. Arozarena shouldn't be batting hitting 3rd unless he's got guys like Diaz, Meadows or Margot batting in front of him. Brosseau should be playing against all left-handed pitching. Wendle, until he stops hitting, should be in the lineup close to every day.

I for one, cannot wait until Wander, Brujan, Josh Lowe and a few others hopefully get called up because this offense is looking horrific...

Kevin Cash seems content on trying to win games by the score of 1-0 or 2-1, and pretending that C+ players like Brandon Lowe and Willy Adames are actually stars.

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright folks...In what should be one of the hottest threads of the year...Let's begin looking at what 2021 might look like for the Tampa Bay Rays, and the many questions that will likely surround the

*Brought over from a discussion on the closer thread, as I think this pertains more to the overall team outlook. Rasmussen has been sent down since his callup. I really think the Rays just approa

3 hours ago, CORTEz said:

I'm in complete and utter shock in regards to how bad the Rays look offensively and Cash's questionable line-up decisions.

Why he has Yoshi "S***sugo" batting leadoff is beyond any comprehendible knowledge...no offense to the guy, but he's got a .186 BA in 57 career games....and he's already off to an 0-for-11 start this season...

The fact that Cash has guys like Margot, Wendle, Brosseau, Adames, and Yandy batting so low in the order (or not at all), is head-scratching.

2. Randy Arozarena
  4. Brandon Lowe
  6. Willy Adames
  7. Mike Brosseau
  8. Kevin Kiermaier
  9. Mike Zunino

Diaz, Margot, Wendle and Brosseau are all extremely underrated hitters. Arozarena shouldn't be batting hitting 3rd unless he's got guys like Diaz, Meadows or Margot batting in front of him. Brosseau should be playing against all left-handed pitching. Wendle, until he stops hitting, should be in the lineup close to every day.

I for one, cannot wait until Wander, Brujan, Josh Lowe and a few others hopefully get called up because this offense is looking horrific...

Kevin Cash seems content on trying to win games by the score of 1-0 or 2-1, and pretending that C+ players like Brandon Lowe and Willy Adames are actually stars.

Why do you think Lowe is a C+ player?  The guy has done nothing but hit since his call up.  He was also a pretty well regarded prospect who has improved his K/BB percent over the last three years.  He also barrels the ball up quite a bit and hits it hard when he makes contact.  These are all good attributes and while I don't think he's a superstar he's definitely better than a C+ player.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CORTEz said:

2. Randy Arozarena
  4. Brandon Lowe
  6. Willy Adames
  7. Mike Brosseau
  8. Kevin Kiermaier
  9. Mike Zunino

I think Brtandon Lowe and Willy Adames are good players.  Lowe is very good and Adames started to breakout last year some and on his way to being pretty darn good too.  Adames is also an excellent fielder which will probably cause Wander Franco to play 3B with Adames staying at SS.  When that happens the Rays will have a great infield minus 1B since they were stupid and sent Nick Lowe off to Texas.

And when I mention Adames' great fielding I do that with Opening Week so far showing what a disaster it is to have sloppy play in the infield time and time again in game after game I have watched.  Adames contributes quite a bit with his glove alone and his bat is starting to come alive slowly.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The great Tsutsugo at 1B experiment seems to be over.

Rays designated 1B/OF/DH Yoshi Tsutsugo for assignment.

The Rays signed Tsutsugo to a two-year, $12 million contract last offseason, but things just haven't worked out. The 29-year-old has produced a weak .187/.292/.336 batting line over 272 plate appearances with the club. At this point, the Rays view it as a sunk cost and will turn the page with their roster. Of course, he's had to play under some unusual circumstances, so it will be interesting to see what's next for him.

May 11, 2021, 2:50 PM ET

Good thing they were smart and didn't trade away their great young 1B, Nate Lowe.  Oh wait.  😂

The Rays know that they were developing a reputation as trade-scalping fiends.  If they allowed this to continue they'd quickly find nobody willing to wheel and deal with them.

Allowing themselves to get fleeced on the Lowe deal, at least in the short term (I mean, Heriberto may turn out to be great, but he's years away and he won't be playing first base) was a long con to lull the league back to sleep.

• Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

10 game win streak, clicking on all cylinders with their pitching staff, making big league deals with the Angels and Brewers in the past few weeks, big weeks from Arozarena, Zunino, Meadows, Lowe, Choi, they're looking like the class of the AL again until the Yankees prove they can beat them.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

They own the New York Yankees. The way they managed to earn a split of the 4 game series by demolishing Gerrit Cole today, and getting a CG 112 pitch effort out of Ryan Yarborough to win like 18th out of 20 or whatever it is, very impressive stuff. Some of their better hitters like Lowe aren't doing much, and this is without the top 2 prospects in the system. Hitting, pitching, defense, they are still the team to beat in the AL. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe they'll let Rich Hill throw more than 60 pitches and McClanahan throw more than 80 now, but I wouldn't bet on it. What's the deal with Yonny Chirinos, is he an option at any point? I could see them stretching Wacha and McHugh out a bit more now, but I don't expect Chris Archer to come back from thoracic outlet surgery and be effective, so they are looking a little thin at SP now. 

Chirinos is still listed as out for the season after Tommy John surgery so he's not an option. From 2 days ago-

Archer (forearm) threw 10 pitches off a mound Saturday, Neil Solondz of the Rays Radio Network reports.

Recovery from thoracic outlet surgery was supposed to be the primary concern for Archer this season, but he wound up making just two appearances before being shut down with an entirely separate issue with his forearm. He's making progress again after a brief setback in late May and is expected to advance to live batting practice in late June or early July. That suggests he won't return to the active roster before the All-Star break, however.

Edited by Richard Kimble
2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Maybe they'll let Rich Hill throw more than 60 pitches and McClanahan throw more than 80 now, but I wouldn't bet on it. What's the deal with Yonny Chirinos, is he an option at any point? I could see them stretching Wacha and McHugh out a bit more now, but I don't expect Chris Archer to come back from thoracic outlet surgery and be effective, so they are looking a little thin at SP now. 

Luis Patino looks like an obvious replacement, I'd bet hes called up for Glasnows next turn

Rays adding to their varied endless assortment of plug and play hitters:

Rays acquired 1B/DH Mike Ford from the Yankees for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Ford showed a ton of promise as a rookie in 2019 with a .909 OPS and 12 home runs in 50 games, but the 28-year-old has slashed just .134/.250/.276 in 156 major league plate appearances since the beginning of 2020. Perhaps a change of scenery -- and a bit of Rays development magic -- will do him some good.

An in division trade too.  Now watch Ford start hitting now that he is out of pinstripes.

40 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rays adding to their varied endless assortment of plug and play hitters:

An in division trade too.  Now watch Ford start hitting now that he is out of pinstripes.

While I wish Fattingly the best, I doubt the Yanks will end up ruing this trade 

*Brought over from a discussion on the closer thread, as I think this pertains more to the overall team outlook. Rasmussen has been sent down since his callup.

I really think the Rays just approach things primarily from a WAR standpoint, so they knew that the drop off from Glasnow to Michael Wacha in the rotation was huge in terms of WAR, which is why they called Wander up to bridge some of that gap. I like Rasmussen, wanted him to stay up, who knows how he figures into the equation. You're quite right that if he's called up again I'd snatch him in deep leagues. Still, they're going to start using Luis Patino soon, Chris Archer comes back after the ASB, they will simply continue to employ marginal players in their most profitable spots, and that goes across their roster.

I really believe if they could get away with it, they'd have all their players remain nameless and just dub them by their numbers and statistics. Moreso with the pitchers, and obviously they want players like Franco who have a star quality, but usually they are a roster of under the radar types. Some have higher visibility, Diego is quite popular, so they keep their spot near the top, but the Rays would absolutely put an unproven rookie like Rasmussen in the bottom of the 9th against the Yankees if they felt it was the right matchup. They just look at things differently down there in Tampa, to their credit.

For years we've clamored that teams use their bullpens incorrectly, but now we are seeing how annoying it is to deal with in fantasy. They basically started the opener trend in MLB that all teams have followed suit on, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them re-invent the wheel again over the next few months and start rotating piggy-backers in a brilliant new way, they seemingly have the pieces to play around with it. 

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...