NBC Sports Edge Forums

Troymaine Pope 2020 Outlook

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IN NOMINE PATRIS, ET FILII, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN                        -- Pope Troymaine for XI PPR Sunday...he is risen from the protocol and is back to save us all thru the byes.

Pope is the 2020 Mostert   All aboard!!

This guy has bounced around the league since 2016 and has one good game to show for it. They're both trash.

I feel really gd about the Pope today even tho he’s on my bench at the moment. I keep hearing people being afraid of a Hasty performance, c’mon Hasty was playing with one of the most damaged/stale offenses in the league, the Pope plays on an offense that moves the ball with ease and from his last game he def passed the vision test unlike Hasty. 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

I feel really gd about the Pope today even tho he’s on my bench at the moment. I keep hearing people being afraid of a Hasty performance, c’mon Hasty was playing with one of the most damaged/stale offenses in the league, the Pope plays on an offense that moves the ball with ease and from his last game he def passed the vision test unlike Hasty. 

Damaged yes...but stale? 9ers offense...its literally one of the most innovative in football... 

Regardless, I like-a da Popa too! ✝️

Ekeler is supposedly coming back in the next few weeks but until then, I think it's anyone's guess who will be the main guy in the Chargers backfield.  Justin Jackson is now on IR so it won't be him.  Joshua Kelley, Kalen Ballage and Pope have all had their moments so it will likely be a committee unless one guy stands out.

5 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Damaged yes...but stale? 9ers offense...its literally one of the most innovative in football... 

Regardless, I like-a da Popa too! ✝️

I sorta disagree on being the most innovative in the league at the moment, they’ve hit a plateau, Chiefs, Steelers, Cards etc are examples of most innovative IMO. Last year and the year before yeah I would agree on ur opinion for sure, but this year seems as if Shanny hasn’t dialed it up or mutated his playbook as I seen him do in the past. Harbaugh has the same issue, playbook started strong but got stale no continued creativity. I’m sure the injuries this season may have put a damper on his push possibly. 

22 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Ekeler is supposedly coming back in the next few weeks but until then, I think it's anyone's guess who will be the main guy in the Chargers backfield.  Justin Jackson is now on IR so it won't be him.  Joshua Kelley, Kalen Ballage and Pope have all had their moments so it will likely be a committee unless one guy stands out.

When was Kelley's moment? I must have missed it.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

I sorta disagree on being the most innovative in the league at the moment, they’ve hit a plateau, Chiefs, Steelers, Cards etc are examples of most innovative IMO. Last year and the year before yeah I would agree on ur opinion for sure, but this year seems as if Shanny hasn’t dialed it up or mutated his playbook as I seen him do in the past. Harbaugh has the same issue, playbook started strong but got stale no continued creativity. I’m sure the injuries this season may have put a damper on his push possibly. 

Yea injuries for sure...Richie James though!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

When was Kelley's moment? I must have missed it.

Kelley had some good games early in the season.  It's probably more between Ballage and Pope right now as to who will be the main guy and I give the edge to Ballage because he has the prototypical lead back size.  Pope is more of a change of pace/3rd down back.

3 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

Kelley had some good games early in the season.  It's probably more between Ballage and Pope right now as to who will be the main guy and I give the edge to Ballage because he has the prototypical lead back size.  Pope is more of a change of pace/3rd down back.

Nyheim Hines would like a word with u....

Am running him out this week as a flex.  I understand the Hasty comparisons some are making but I reject them based on the notion that we've already seen Pope come out and put up a good game.  Furthermore, he's playing in an ascendant offense playing at a high level rather than in a rudderless one like the 49ers

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sjm76 said:

Does Ekeler have the protoypical lead back size? Which back is more like him?

3 minutes ago, activeobserver said:

Does Ekeler have the protoypical lead back size? Which back is more like him?

Pope is more of the ekeler type. Ballage and Kelley are competing for the Gordon role. It’s why I like Pope.. he has the more defined role but Ballage looks significantly better than Kelley and could get a lot of run. Should be interesting. I’m taking a flyer on one of them since they have the jets next week 

Just now, TeflonDonNewcombe said:

Pope is more of the ekeler type. Ballage and Kelley are competing for the Gordon role. It’s why I like Pope.. he has the more defined role but Ballage looks significantly better than Kelley and could get a lot of run. Should be interesting. I’m taking a flyer on one of them since they have the jets next week 

Were Gordon and Ekeler both startablre at times?

5 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Were Gordon and Ekeler both startablre at times?

yes they were. If I could grab both I would but I have no one else I’m willing to drop. I will say Ballage seems to have more of a promising ROS outlook if he fills the Gordon role and complements Ekeler. It’s why I’m leaning adding him. Plus REVENGE game next week against the jets 

10 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

I dropped him this morning for a possible RB1 candidate if an injury should occur (L Murray, J Williams). Even if Pope hits, Ekeler will be back in Week 12.

Smart move, but same pertains to Pope if he hits, with Ekeler possibly getting injured also, but I would make both those moves u made

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

Smart move, but same pertains to Pope if he hits, with Ekeler possibly getting injured also, but I would make both those moves u made

I agree, but the Chargers situation is far more murky. For what it's worth I think Pope is the guy until Ekeler return, but how many touches will that equate to is the main question. There's too much uncertainty.

13 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

I agree, but the Chargers situation is far more murky. For what it's worth I think Pope is the guy until Ekeler return, but how many touches will that equate to is the main question. There's too much uncertainty.

Thinking seriously about stashing Pope now. Next week LAC face the NYJ at home. Week after is BUF who was just run over and then NE who were run all over...by the NYJ.

If Pope becomes the 1A here he could have some run for a week or two.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic