Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mookie Betts 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Ok now this is just getting ridiculous.  I mean my allergies have been brutal today.  Absolutely brutal.  I'm pretty sure I could still hit a fast pitch softball.  Mookie is a professional baseball player.  He should be able to go out there and hit a 95 MPH fastball with some watery eyes.  Take a damn Benadryl - you should be awake long enough to get through the game.    

Sounds like Betts and Turner came down with a bad case of Gausman-itis.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not bad for a guy with a slight frame and a horrible contract and on the precipice of falling off a cliff!

true irony

This is a fantasy forum but when people start complaining about real life contract $$$ (in a non salary cap league), real life performance becomes relevant. Mookie is definitely disappointing in

12 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Absolutely no ******** way.  I refuse to believe this 

Captain Hook would sit a guy on account of a hangnail - I like the originality here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2021 at 8:06 AM, mehtavg2000 said:

Well he got them a World Series at least

And a place in their lineup for years and years and years to come. 

I got a lot of heat here when I said I was happy my Sox didn't outbid LA for his services with one of those big mega-contracts that never ever work.  Boston has made enough bad contracts like that.  Never again please!

And I was happy for the trade so they got something back for him even though I kept getting crucified on this board for saying it at the time.  That something turned out to be Alex Verdugo who I'm loving with Jeter Downs waiting in the wings and a lottery wild card in Connor Wong and no mega-contract involved with any of them.

I kept saying Mookie had showed some signs of change before the trade.  You had to have eyeballs on it to see it.  Stats can't pick up that kind of stuff.  A smaller physical frame isn't the kind that can last year in and year out as well as bigger, stronger frames on the whole and I didn't see Mookie as being one of the exceptions to that rule.  I hope he comes back strong but I'm not surprised he is starting to run into some problems.  Just didn't see allergies being one of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t own Betts. His team is scuffling against a division rival. And he is out of the lineup for allergies? Quintessential athlete of 2021

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And a place in their lineup for years and years and years to come. 

I got a lot of heat here when I said I was happy my Sox didn't outbid LA for his services with one of those big mega-contracts that never ever work.  Boston has made enough bad contracts like that.  Never again please!

And I was happy for the trade so they got something back for him even though I kept getting crucified on this board for saying it at the time.  That something turned out to be Alex Verdugo who I'm loving with Jeter Downs waiting in the wings and a lottery wild card in Connor Wong and no mega-contract involved with any of them.

I kept saying Mookie had showed some signs of change before the trade.  You had to have eyeballs on it to see it.  Stats can't pick up that kind of stuff.  A smaller physical frame isn't the kind that can last year in and year out as well as bigger, stronger frames on the whole and I didn't see Mookie as being one of the exceptions to that rule.  I hope he comes back strong but I'm not surprised he is starting to run into some problems.  Just didn't see allergies being one of them.

Worth the World Series win. His demise is greatly exaggerated and still provides elite defense. It probably worked for both sides based on what each team wanted 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Such are the benefits/ disadvantages of a mega long term contract. He’s still rated as a top 3 OFer. He’s playing like a top 60 OFer. I’ll take 90 cents on the dollar for him. He’s lost his incentive.....he got paid. It happens....a lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, evillaw4eva said:

Worth the World Series win. His demise is greatly exaggerated and still provides elite defense. It probably worked for both sides based on what each team wanted 

How does he provide elite defense when he is not on the field playing it? There is one thing he seems to be allergic too and thats playing baseball.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, evillaw4eva said:

Worth the World Series win. His demise is greatly exaggerated and still provides elite defense. It probably worked for both sides based on what each team wanted 

I’m not sure his defense can still be classified as elite anymore and he’s in his age 28 season so I think we’ll be seeing steady age related declines from here on out. I’ve always thought of Andrew McCutchen as a good comp for Betts (smaller, speedy, athletic outfielder with pop) and he started his decline around this point. I agree with BBT that this contract isn’t going to end well and that Boston is going to look smarter and smarter for getting that package when they did.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

I’m not sure his defense can still be classified as elite anymore

This.

-1.3 on Fangraphs, he never had a season with negative defense.

Edited by Max Rockatansky
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

[...] After 27 guys who rely on speed at part of their appeal take a hit.

However he should still be a good hitter with pop. 100 runs 25 hrs and a good average should kind of be expected of him.

 

 

 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

[...] After 27 guys who rely on speed at part of their appeal take a hit.

However he should still be a good hitter with pop. 100 runs 25 hrs and a good average should kind of be expected of him.

 

 

 

and you think that kind of production validates a top 3, 1st round pick?

Link to post
Share on other sites

His last HR was 15 games ago (counting only games where he started).  His last steal was 19 games ago.  I get that this is going to be a down year for him but how much longer should we trot him out there based on name recognition?  Something is wrong with him.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Wonder what the Dodgers were thinking to hand Carl Crawford 2.0 a $300 Million contract? 

In their defense, he did help them win a World Series.  That alone makes it worth it, right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If any of you are first time owners he's always been rather streaky. He's not always going to be a big help in weekly leagues, that's just how sporadic his production tends to be. I'll admit I haven't followed him this season, but everything I'm reading in the thread sounds exactly like what has been said in seasons past. In the end he should have fairly respectable numbers, but he will certainly have many weeks of FA level contributions with some hot streaks here and there. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...