NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mookie Betts 2021 Outlook

fawkes_mulder

On 6/25/2021 at 12:22 PM, KrunK said:

The link I quoted is updated. They used to say 27yo was the peak but that guys study showed otherwise. Hitters def aren't peaking at 22-25yo, most of them aren't even up in the bigs until the tail end of that age range.

I finally found what I was looking at before 

https://tht.fangraphs.com/rotisserie-category-aging-patterns/

Showing that in a roto league a player’s (hitter) value just straight declines after age 22.   Especially in speed. 

And for pitchers the peak is 26-27

Edited by Fbaseballgod

26 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I finally found what I was looking at before 

https://tht.fangraphs.com/rotisserie-category-aging-patterns/

Showing that in a roto league a player’s value just straight declines after age 22.   Especially in speed. 

Interesting. Speed is easily the fastest declining physical tool, so makes sense it would be a big impact in roto since SB will completely boost a player's value. If a player is 'declining' after 22yo they were likely a top prospect and complete stud to be in the bigs with experience at that age, as most players won't even be in the bigs at that age, let alone have enough of a track record to show a decline in their stats at 23-24yo.

It's interesting to see, but I really don't think it's something I'd put that much weight into outside of realizing that SBs decline quickly and drafting accordingly. No one in their right mind is dealing Tatis Jr or Acuna in a keeper league because they're about to 'decline'. If you were using that article's findings as the fantasy gospel you wouldn't have sniffed Mookie's 25yo season, which is easily the best season of his career.

Also, the article states this 'value' is much different in fantasy than it is IRL (since SBs are much more valuable in fantasy) and I believe that's how this convo started.

Edited by KrunK
  • Like 1

Out again.

I'm tired of Dave Roberts being way too optimistic about Mookie being in the lineup the next day and then turns around to get scratched. This is at least the 4th or 5th time this year this has happened.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bregatron said:

Out again.

I'm tired of Dave Roberts being way too optimistic about Mookie being in the lineup the next day and then turns around to get scratched. This is at least the 4th or 5th time this year this has happened.

Dave Roberts could pass a polygraph and still be lying out his a$$. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Bust 

Maybe in redraft leagues. He's dealing with some health issues right now, but I believe he'll be healthy come play-off time. 

and help lead my team to another title.

On 7/17/2021 at 11:52 PM, Max Rockatansky said:

Dave Roberts says the hip irritation was indeed "nagging" Mookie Betts all year. He won't play Sunday but Roberts expects to have him for Giants series

That is what some of us have been saying.  He has the more slight build that can wear down over the years and lead to endless nagging injuries.  Will it?  Don't know but he seems to be starting this trend.