NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mookie Betts 2021 Outlook

fawkes_mulder

I remember hearing a theory that shorter baseball players reach their peak and then fade sooner than bigger frame guys. So for example someone 5’9” and under would be past their first time after say 30-31 yrs old as opposed to a 6’2” guy who could normally be expected to produce at peak level until 33-34.

Not sure I buy into it but it makes sense, as smaller guys have a smaller margin of error for what’s considered “minimum acceptable” strength and athleticism than bigger guys even if they lose the same amount of athleticism as they age. So if the HRs are just enough to clear the wall at 27-29 it becomes just a double at 30. Also, maybe their bodies are generally less equipped handle the 162 game grind.

It seemed to be true for Altuve but ironically he’s having a resurgent year. But then again a guy like Lindor looks to be on the downswing.

Anyway, take that for what you will, but for that reason I have concern for guys like Mookie, Lindor, Albies, JoRam over time. Even Wander Franco but that’s a long ways a way

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Edited by 5catstud

I remember someone posting about this a couple years ago. The consensus was most fizzle out once 30 comes around. Tim Raines and Joe Morgan’s names were in the argument if I recall.

1 hour ago, bluntbros said:

I remember someone posting about this a couple years ago. The consensus was most fizzle out once 30 comes around. Tim Raines and Joe Morgan’s names were in the argument if I recall.

I think that convo occurred again a couple of weeks ago, but could be wrong

• Like 1

Another bomb in the first inning tonight, OPS creeping up to .900. Playing at 2B again, and has a good chance to stay there for the weekend, as Turner is still probably a few days away from activation upon joining the team in LA this Friday. Might be able to snag eligibility there in some leagues, which would be a crazy boost for his value again next season. 

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Another bomb in the first inning tonight, OPS creeping up to .900. Playing at 2B again, and has a good chance to stay there for the weekend, as Turner is still probably a few days away from activation upon joining the team in LA this Friday. Might be able to snag eligibility there in some leagues, which would be a crazy boost for his value again next season. 

Trying your best to get his thread locked

🤣🤣🤣

22 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Trying your best to get his thread locked

🤣🤣🤣

This should do it...2nd Bomb of the evening. I like to point out the occasional good thing instead of complaining every single time one of my pitchers gives up an earned run 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

This should do it...2nd Bomb of the evening. I like to point out the occasional good thing instead of complaining every single time one of my pitchers gives up an earned run 🤷‍♂️

I’ll do my part - this young man must hope he keeps getting to face Jacob Odorizzi - man does that pitcher suck!

9 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

But where the hell are the steals?

Relax - just kidding lol

Just saying, hard to steal bases when you have a bad hip, and when you are hitting home runs. Also, he's getting older, like Trout.

Yeah, wait til Dave Roberts starts calling for Turner and Betts to pull off the double steal on the regular. You guys think we're the only ones focused on the raw numbers? If you saw Mookie's own comments, he knows he's having a subpar year, but its looking better by the day, and I am sure he is lobbying Roberts to turn him loose on the bases more. I anticipate the running game turning into a real threat with those two at the top now.

3 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

The fact that Mookie is returning this value while playing hurt all year and having a "down" season is exactly why he's a perennial top 5 pick. The floor is so high.

Yes, and although we still have two months to play, he's surely staying inside the top 10. He'll fall outside of the top 5 next year, but some of the other top 10 like Yelich and Trout will fall too. I think Bo Bichette deserves to get in there and Shohei certainly will move into the top 3, so you can debate the next few ranks, but I'm still putting Mookie in there.