NBC Sports Edge Forums

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. 2021 Outlook

On 3/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, meh2 said:

You clearly didn’t spend much time researching your post.

https://nfc.shgn.com/adp/baseball

• Corbin Burnes, SP --> Could take the next step, and is on the very tail end of the elite pitchers and could make his way up the ranks. I'll admit, based on your strategy, you could have gone with Vlad. 
  • Anthony Rendon, 3B - Dude is a top 20 pick...
  • Kenta Maeda, SP - If you value pitching
  • Starling Marte, OF - Easy 
  • Jose Abreu, 1B - Easy
  • Rafael Devers, 3B - Easy
  • Whit Merrifield, 2B - Easy
  • Blake Snell, SP - see Maeda
  • Kyle Tucker, OF - No. Rather have Vlad. 
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah I think he will be part of the spoiled kids in baseball that don’t amount to much like Cal Ripken Jr, Ken Griffey Jr, Tony Gwynn, Barry Bonds...

Two months ago you wrote "he’s just a fat exciting name who hits the ball on the ground" which is exactly the type of insinuation of which you speak.  

Posted Images

Looked great today.

1-for-2, with 2 BB's. Looked healthy, quicker and more confident. Just one game, but definitely what you want to see, especially against arguably a Top-5 pitcher in the league in Cole.

• Like 2

That dinger was a thing of beauty. 

Him and Bo Bichette are my new favorite dynamic duo. They look like the bestest of friends. 

Edited by collucho

Launch angle

2019- 6.5

2020- 4.6

2021- 20.5

GB/FB

2019- 1.50

2020- 1.96

2021- 0.71

Line drive%, ground ball%, flyball% all looking equally encouraging. If he stays anywhere remotely close to those numbers and stays healthy, an MVP season is happening. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Launch angle

2019- 6.5

2020- 4.6

2021- 20.5

GB/FB

2019- 1.50

2020- 1.96

2021- 0.71

Line drive%, ground ball%, flyball% all looking equally encouraging. If he stays anywhere remotely close to those numbers and stays healthy, an MVP season is happening. 

It's almost like young players can improve!  He struggled when he got called up, but really found his way towards the end of 2019.  For the 2020 season, he actually lost a decent amount of weight and I think we would have seen the breakout last year but for Covid.  Not that I'm excusing his quarantine weight gain last year, but it's just a valid explanation. 

Nobody knew we would for sure have a season last year and he was just irresponsible. It could happen again in the future.  Or he could realize he needs to improve and take it seriously if he wants a successful career in the majors.  He's only 22.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

I remember a few years back there was the Acuna vs Vlad debate. I said at the time that, as far as fantasy goes, its harder for a player to be the top player in fantasy without stealing bases and that the edge went to Acuna. I argued that Vlad would have to be Albert Pujols in his prime to accomplish that and ,while that was certainly possible, it was unlikely.

Its looking more likely. :P

3 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

I remember a few years back there was the Acuna vs Vlad debate. I said at the time that, as far as fantasy goes, its harder for a player to be the top player in fantasy without stealing bases and that the edge went to Acuna. I argued that Vlad would have to be Albert Pujols in his prime to accomplish that and ,while that was certainly possible, it was unlikely.

Its looking more likely. :P

I believe I just saw this stat - averaged over the last 162 games, Acuna hit 50 homers, stole 40 bases; something that's never been done in the history of the sport.  Yes - Vlad Jr is off to an unreal start, but Acuna is on a completely different level from any other player right now & frankly.. it's not close (both fantasy & in real life).

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

In the last 162 games - Acuna hit 50 homers, stole 40 bases; something that's never been done in the history of the sport.  Yes - Vlad Jr is off to an unreal start, but Acuna is on a completely different level from any other player right now & frankly.. it's not close (both fantasy & in real life).

Its going to be fun to watch them both.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Acuna, Vlad, Soto, Tatis and Wander on the way? What a great time to be a baseball fan. 

You did not just include Wander with those other guys. Kid doesn't even put up the other's stats in the minors.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, collucho said:

You did not just include Wander with those other guys. Kid doesn't even put up the other's stats in the minors.

Vlad Jr. as an 18yr old at A ball : .323/13HR/.910 OPS

Franco as an 18yr old at A Ball:  .327/9Hr/.885 OPS

Pretty damn close

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, collucho said:

Wait. What? Wander's minor league numbers are pretty close in-line with what those other guys did in the minors at the same age.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RoadApple said:

Vlad Jr. as an 18yr old at A ball : .323/13HR/.910 OPS

Franco as an 18yr old at A Ball:  .327/9Hr/.885 OPS

Pretty damn close

+18 SBs for Franco. 

He's going to be a star. From FanGraphs:

"Franco is as good as a prospect can get, checking every box on a performance, scouting, and analytical level."

"Franco has been the best player his age on the planet since he was 14 years old. He looks like, and has performed like, a generational talent and annual MVP contender."

From ESPN: "I saw Vladimir Guerrero," said Rei Ruiz, Franco's manager in Bowling Green. "He had the same confidence, the same presence. But I think Wander is better."

• Like 3
On 4/16/2021 at 7:29 AM, smeeze said:

1n4mkpgrbjt61.jpg?width=640&height=911&c

Reminds me of Zion.

Had too much donuts so people thought they’re busts after the hype.

Stopped eating donuts now they’re clowning on their leagues and are superstars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...