Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kalen Ballage 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Ok someone had to start a thread. 

 

Nobody saw this coming. 

 

Kalen Ballage rushed 15 times for 69 yards and one touchdown in the Chargers’ Week 9 loss to the Raiders.

He caught 2-of-3 targets for 15 yards in the passing game. With Troymaine Pope (concussion) out, Ballage was promoted from the practice squad Saturday. And then Justin Jackson injured his knee on the opening drive and didn’t touch the ball against the Raiders. It left Ballage to lead the backfield over Joshua Kelley, who has been madly disappointing in recent weeks. Ballage’s touchdown came from five yards out on fourth down in the second quarter. Ballage isn’t very good, but he’s at least worth monitoring if Jackson misses more time. Ballage faces his former team in the Dolphins at Miami next week.

 

Worthy of a waiver pickup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kalen Ballage back on the fantasy map. So we're doing this huh?

This is 2020. Watch the worst RB in the league become a beast down the stretch.

lol

13 minutes ago, gullit18 said:

Why exactly isn't Ballage good? 

 

 

 

He averaged 1.82 YPC last year.  I think Lynn is great at getting max production at RB, but Ballage was downright torturous last year.

Edited by hoppychokes
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody plays for the run against the Chargers. We've seen every back be successful except Joshua Kelley. Ekeler, Jackson, Pope, now Ballage. I don't think he's anything more than a 1 week wonder with Pope coming back next week, Ekeler probably in 2-3 weeks, and JJ might still be in the mix depending on how severe his knee injury is.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, supac720 said:

Was put back on the practice squad

But protected. I’m not exactly sure how the Chargers benefit by moving Ballage to the PS and protecting him vs simply leaving him on the active roster, but there must be a reason. I guess it allows them to roster an extra player for a few days or something?
 

With Ekeler still out for the foreseeable future, Jackson out with a knee injury, Kelley failing to capitalize on his opportunities, and Pope in concussion protocol, have to figure a healthy, and impressive Ballage will be their starting RB vs Miami in a “revenge game” this week. Then next week he gets the Jets. Could actually be a good option for RB needy fantasy teams for a couple weeks, potentially beyond. 
 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lamont Sanford said:

But protected. I’m not exactly sure how the Chargers benefit by moving Ballage to the PS and protecting him vs simply leaving him on the active roster, but there must be a reason. I guess it allows them to roster an extra player for a few days or something?
 

With Ekeler still out for the foreseeable future, Jackson out with a knee injury, Kelley failing to capitalize on his opportunities, and Pope in concussion protocol, have to figure a healthy, and impressive Ballage will be their starting RB vs Miami in a “revenge game” this week. Then next week he gets the Jets. Could actually be a good option for RB needy fantasy teams for a couple weeks, potentially beyond. 
 

 

 

Agree.  I don't understand the practice squad move but I'm sure there is a reason out there.  Maybe it buys them some time somehow.  

I watched a lot of that game and couldn't believe how good Ballage looked.  I mean, I was expecting 2 yards and a cloud of dust every time he touched it but he ran with power, vision and had some burst.  Also showed pretty good hands as a receiver.

Very easily could've been a victim of a trash team in Miami and Gase.  I mean, looked how other players have flourished getting away from Gase.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely Ballage has much long-term value with JJ, Ekeler, etc.  But he showed well on Sunday for sure and looked better than Kelley to my eyes.

At the least he's worth watching and may be a one week plug as a bye week filler if JJ happens to miss this week,

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The G Man said:

I wouldn't touch this dude with a 10 foot pole, but good luck to all that take the plunge. Hope it works out for y'all. 

 

Take the name off his jersey and throw out the history of this player. Did this player perform really well and pass the eye test, while being bounced around the league mostly under Adam Gase?

Lots of bad bias towards Ballage in here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He took advantage of a great opportunity last week.  However this week will be different.  The Chargers lost Jackson last week so they were down to only 2 backs to use.  This week they are going to have a 3 headed rbbc.  Who knows who will get carries and when.  In looking at past games it most likely will be a combination of Ballage and Pope with Kelley sprinkling in.  It's probably best to avoid it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done my research on Ballage and Pope and it just seems like a tossup still at this point unless Ballage stays on the practice squad and doesn't even play. Seems unlikely, but I don't see Pope and Ballage playing 50-50 in the same role. I could only afford to add one so I added Pope (and dropped Tevin Coleman just for reference). Ballage is still available though and I'm still unsure how this plays out. Id like to flex one of them and roll the dice. Hope the coach gives us a hint soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, zorndogs said:

I've done my research on Ballage and Pope and it just seems like a tossup still at this point unless Ballage stays on the practice squad and doesn't even play. Seems unlikely, but I don't see Pope and Ballage playing 50-50 in the same role. I could only afford to add one so I added Pope (and dropped Tevin Coleman just for reference). Ballage is still available though and I'm still unsure how this plays out. Id like to flex one of them and roll the dice. Hope the coach gives us a hint soon

 

Trying to make the same exact decision between Ballage and Pope.  I think one of those guys probably has a decent week but tough predicting which one assuming both are active.

I guess we have to watch and see if Ballage is even called back up from the practice squad first or it may be a moot point.

Pope is pretty good too though....reminds me of Boston Scott.  I think Pope probably will be a decent play as he should see majority of receiving work with some carries mixed in.  He sure looks like the shiftiest/quickest out out Kelley/Ballage.

But to me Ballage looked better last week than Kelley has all season so if you ask me, Kelley is the guy that should take the backseat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

SD has been able to run the ball so I'd love to start whoever is the lead back, but I agree it's so hard to guess who. If Ballage is called back up I think it'll be like 40/40/20 split between the 3 of them(Kelley the short end). I want no part of that. If Ballage isn't active it gets a little more interesting for Pope but I think Kelley still gets alot of snaps. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, owenmills said:

SD has been able to run the ball so I'd love to start whoever is the lead back, but I agree it's so hard to guess who. If Ballage is called back up I think it'll be like 40/40/20 split between the 3 of them(Kelley the short end). I want no part of that. If Ballage isn't active it gets a little more interesting for Pope but I think Kelley still gets alot of snaps. 

 

Kelley is trending downwards to possibly  being made inactive if these guys keep getting called up and greatly outperforming him. JJ can't stay healthy. No one knows if Ekeler is even coming back this year.

I'm bullish on Ballage as I am buying the narrative that Adam Gase ruined him, like all of his players, and SD got a 4th round talent on the cheap...but who knows? He's a better odds lottery ticket than DeAndre Washington or something. Pope's 26 or 27..

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

Kelley is trending downwards to possibly  being made inactive if these guys keep getting called up and greatly outperforming him. JJ can't stay healthy. No one knows if Ekeler is even coming back this year.

I'm bullish on Ballage as I am buying the narrative that Adam Gase ruined him, like all of his players, and SD got a 4th round talent on the cheap...but who knows? He's a better odds lottery ticket than DeAndre Washington or something. Pope's 26 or 27..

Kelley may be inactive once JJ is back but they always seem to have 3 RBs active(4 if you count FB Nabers). I don't see them going into a game with just Ballage and Pope. I don't think Pope's age is relevant either, unless we're talking dynasty(I'm not). He's plenty young enough to lead the backfield for the rest of this season. Will he? I have no idea. I've lost faith in Kelley completely but I think the backfield is wide open for everyone else. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...