Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Why Don’t QB’s Get Benched for INT’s?


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Psychological.

The QB is the most important position in the sport. Do you really want your QB to think that the next INT he will throw will lead to a benching? Trust me, it won't miraculously make him play better. Instead, he will play tight and the offense and his overall play will likely suffer.

This was really the point of the thread, though with respect to RBs. Do coaches want  their starting RB to think that next fumble will lead to their benching? Will it miraculously make him play better? No. Instead, he will play tight and the offense and his overall play will likely suffer.

 

Yet, coaches continue benching RBs for fumbling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This.   Zeke, Carson - Not benched Taylor, RoJo - Benched   Rodgers, Watson - Not Benched Trubisky, Cam - Benched   Also, when you bench a QB, you have the inev

Can we bench posters for lame topics?

All the RBs are part of the game plan and get practice with the starters every week. At least the ones that will be seeing regular snaps. Only the starting QB gets the practice with the starters and a

Plain and simple, an RB who cant hold onto the ball is useless, no matter how great of a runner he is. 

An RB's job is a lot simpler compared to a QB. Theres a lot more preparation for QBs with respect to game plans, reading defenses, making decisions and making throws. 

You can almost plug in any RB in an offense and have it work. The same cant be said about QBs.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I guess my stance on the issue wasn’t clear. I’m not suggesting QBs should be benched for INTs. I’m suggesting RBs should not be benched for fumbles.

Of course I don’t think QBs like Rodgers should be benched for Love after throwing a pick. But I also don’t think a starting RB should be benched for the backup after fumbling. 
 

I don't think it's as common as you're making it seem. How often is a starting RB benched after fumbling ? Maybe a few times a year ? Didn't Trubisky and Jimmy G get benched  for throwing picks ? It happens to QBs too.

Taylor was also outplayed the week before  by Wilkins. I'm guessing that was a contributing factor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

This was really the point of the thread, though with respect to RBs. Do coaches want  their starting RB to think that next fumble will lead to their benching? Will it miraculously make him play better? No. Instead, he will play tight and the offense and his overall play will likely suffer.

 

Yet, coaches continue benching RBs for fumbling.

 

You make it sound like it's such a common occurrance. What team's starting/feature back gets benched if they ever fumble?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I don't think it's as common as you're making it seem. How often is a starting RB benched after fumbling ? Maybe a few times a year ? Didn't Trubisky and Jimmy G get benched  for throwing picks ? It happens to QBs too.

Taylor was also outplayed the week before  by Wilkins. I'm guessing that was a contributing factor. 

Yep. Taylor’s grasp on the starting job had been tenuous at best anyway. Couple his mediocre play with a fumble...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThreadKiller said:

 

You make it sound like it's such a common occurrance. What team's starting/feature back gets benched if they ever fumble?

Yeah this was a dumb thread. It really had nothing to do with QBs and everything to do with Jonathan Taylor getting benched for losing his first fumble all season. I tried to come at it from a different angle, but it really just comes down to what I think was an asinine coaching move to not get Taylor right back out there. He was having a much needed good game up to that point. 


I just think the whole concept of pulling a RB for fumbling is stupid. They get it, they made a mistake. Best thing to do is go right back to them. If they fumble again, that could indicate a lack of focus or something on that particular day, but benching a RB for a random fumble makes no sense to me. Wilkins was not outplaying Taylor. Taylor actually looked really good yesterday. Running strong at 4.5 ypc, two receptions, and a goal line TD on his first attempt vs a very tough BAL defense. Then he fumbles and his day is essentially done.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Yep. Taylor’s grasp on the starting job had been tenuous at best anyway. Couple his mediocre play with a fumble...

Taylor’s at 3.9 ypc, 4 TDs, and 20 rec for the season.

 

Wilkins is at 3.7 ypc, 1 TD, 5 rec for the season. 
 

Taylor hasn’t lit it up, but he’s been better than Wilkins. If Taylor has been mediocre, then Wilkins has been less than mediocre. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Yeah this was a dumb thread. It really had nothing to do with QBs and everything to do with Jonathan Taylor getting benched for losing his first fumble all season. I tried to come at it from a different angle, but it really just comes down to what I think was an asinine coaching move to not get Taylor right back out there. He was having a much needed good game up to that point. 


I just think the whole concept of pulling a RB for fumbling is stupid. They get it, they made a mistake. Best thing to do is go right back to them. If they fumble again, that could indicate a lack of focus or something on that particular day, but benching a RB for a random fumble makes no sense to me. Wilkins was not outplaying Taylor. Taylor actually looked really good yesterday. Running strong at 4.5 ypc, two receptions, and a goal line TD on his first attempt vs a very tough BAL defense. Then he fumbles and his day is essentially done.

 

Honestly (no disrespect here), you just sound like a salty Taylor owner who lost you points with the fumble and then went MIA rest of the game. They didn't lose much by going to Wilkins so from a real life standpoint, it makes sense. Taylor isn't some untouchable proven RB who is safe from ever being benched.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lamont Sanford said:

And yes, this thread was definitely born from my frustration over Jonathan Taylor getting benched for fumbling despite playing well otherwise. I think that’s a ridiculous, unnecessary overreaction by Reich.

lol. I figured it was related to Ronald Jones. But that makes sense as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Taylor’s at 3.9 ypc, 4 TDs, and 20 rec for the season.

 

Wilkins is at 3.7 ypc, 1 TD, 5 rec for the season. 
 

Taylor hasn’t lit it up, but he’s been better than Wilkins. If Taylor has been mediocre, then Wilkins has been less than mediocre. 

Right. And one was dubbed as a generational back while the other is a 5th round Joe Schmo. The fact that their numbers are near indistinguishable should tell you all you need to know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Honestly (no disrespect here), you just sound like a salty Taylor owner who lost you points with the fumble and then went MIA rest of the game. They didn't lose much by going to Wilkins so from a real life standpoint, it makes sense. Taylor isn't some untouchable proven RB who is safe from ever being benched.

I actually didn’t lose any points at all, Taylor was on my bench. But yeah, I’m salty anyway because  I still think benching Taylor after the fumble was the wrong move. The last thing Taylor needs now is a perceived lack of confidence from his coach. Taylor was playing well yesterday, Reich should’ve told him so and put him right back out there. Taking Taylor off the field did not help his team yesterday, or going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only RB I've really seen forgiven for fumbling on a regular basis in the last 20 years has been Adrian Peterson. And that was because he was too good to leave off the field. Most of the elite RB's don't suffer from fumbling issues though and don't need to be taught a lesson or forgiven.

Guys that haven't proven themselves yet don't have much of a leash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Right. And one was dubbed as a generational back while the other is a 5th round Joe Schmo. The fact that their numbers are near indistinguishable should tell you all you need to know. 

Exactly. One was dubbed a generational  back and the other a 5th round Joe Schmo. Which one should be given more opportunities? Or is the book already closed on Taylor?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I actually didn’t lose any points at all, Taylor was on my bench. But yeah, I’m salty anyway because  I still think benching Taylor after the fumble was the wrong move. The last thing Taylor needs now is a perceived lack of confidence from his coach. Taylor was playing well yesterday, Reich should’ve told him so and put him right back out there. Taking Taylor off the field did not help his team yesterday, or going forward.

If a player is going to lack confidence because they screwed up and were taught a lesson for screwing up then they aren't strong enough mentally to begin with to ever become a true leader at their position. I don't really see an issue with benching players for screwing up. They should learn from their mistakes and not screw up in the future. Plenty of other players do it around the league. They are lucky to be on a roster, and sometimes their draft capital is the only thing keeping them employed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Exactly. One was dubbed a generational  back and the other a 5th round Joe Schmo. Which one should be given more opportunities? Or is the book already closed on Taylor?

Maybe the supremely talented generational back should separate himself on the field from the JAG instead of being handed the job on a sliver platter? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Maybe the supremely talented generational back should separate himself on the field from the JAG instead of being handed the job on a sliver platter? 

Maybe he will. Seems a little early to say he won’t.

 

And with that, I’ll see myself out of this dumb thread that I created. We already have a JT thread.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lamont Sanford said:

Maybe he will. Seems a little early to say he won’t.

I’ll agree with you there. I’m by no means saying he’s finished. But you can’t really blame anyone but him for his current situation. He had a prime smash opportunity when Mack went down. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I’ll agree with you there. I’m by no means saying he’s finished. But you can’t really blame anyone but him for his current situation. He had a prime smash opportunity when Mack went down. 

 

Right. He hasn't yet earned the right to "work through it" and not be benched for fumbling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows, maybe JT has put the ball on the ground a lot in practice as well and Reich just had it, especially as it led to a TD.  Very normal reaction and response.  I'm sure all of these RBs at some point in their career at some level were forced to carry a football around all the time and if a teammate managed to knock it lose, there would be some sort of reprimand/punishment.  I remember it happened to one of the RBs on my high school team and he lost his job that week.

3 hours ago, YoungDro said:

Downgrade from starter to backup is too steep a drop

Seems like three interceptions is the magic number when most head coaches start to yank their starting QBs

Unless you are the GOAT...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

 

Honestly (no disrespect here), you just sound like a salty Taylor owner who lost you points with the fumble and then went MIA rest of the game. They didn't lose much by going to Wilkins so from a real life standpoint, it makes sense. Taylor isn't some untouchable proven RB who is safe from ever being benched.

We tend to agree a lot 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silent-Trader said:

Also, interceptions are not always a QB's fault.

Our league voted a few years ago to not only -3 on an INT but -6 on a pick 6,nothing worse than watching the ball bounce off a receiver's chest into the air and into the hands off a defender who takes it to the house.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...