NBC Sports Edge Forums

How Serious is FF to you?

Ive come across in various leagues guys who will draft and never touch their board again, and from a competitive standpoint that drives me crazy. I was curious what the surrounding audience thoughts on if at times you take this a little too seriously whether money is involved or not? I know Im not the only one who is highly competitive, but I certainly would rather be this way than have a cakeway to a championship every year

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask my wife 🤣😣

I used to take it way more seriously but discovered that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Both of my leagues are extremely competitive but I don't get too excited with a win or let down with a loss -

This thread made me think of this article.

18 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Ive come across in various leagues guys who will draft and never touch their board again, and from a competitive standpoint that drives me crazy. I was curious what the surrounding audience thoughts on if at times you take this a little too seriously whether money is involved or not? I know Im not the only one who is highly competitive, but I certainly would rather be this way than have a cakeway to a championship every year

3 of the people I have in my league actually take it "pretty" seriously, including myself. Researching everyday, making frequent and competetive transactions and waiver plays, and typically staying ahead of the curve.

For me, I've actually had to cut back on checking through forums (lol), rankings, reports, and whatever else over the past couple weeks because it was taking up a minimum of 2-3 hours of my brain a day. Checking the phone from wake-up until work and for lengths before bed didn't feel too good. It made the losses suck way too hard.

Then there's maybe 6 others (out of 12) who are pretty in-tune and waiver from year-to-year in their level of attention. They know their stuff and can be competitive but certainly have less skin in the game and probably live Sundays quite a bit more stress-free. The other 3 in my league couldn't be bothered after the second week if they start 0-2 and are usually being rotated out for others who we'll add.

1 minute ago, BigNicc said:

3 of the people I have in my league actually take it "pretty" seriously, including myself. Researching everyday, making frequent and competetive transactions and waiver plays, and typically staying ahead of the curve.

For me, I've actually had to cut back on checking through forums (lol), rankings, reports, and whatever else over the past couple weeks because it was taking up a minimum of 2-3 hours of my brain a day. Checking the phone from wake-up until work and for lengths before bed didn't feel too good. It made the losses suck way too hard.

Then there's maybe 6 others (out of 12) who are pretty in-tune and waiver from year-to-year in their level of attention. They know their stuff and can be competitive but certainly have less skin in the game and probably live Sundays quite a bit more stress-free. The other 3 in my league couldn't be bothered after the second week if they start 0-2 and are usually being rotated out for others who we'll add.

Thats where my league is. Its at a point where in a 12 man league half of them quit if they know their team 1) was affected by injury 2) no one is willing to give them an unrealistic deal. I had a guy sit on Thomas so far all season to have 1 win under his belt because he was too stubborn to move him and now thinks he has a chance to make playoffs. I have to admit I check constantly on forums rankings stats etc but giving up on a league, especially when high money is involved, is something I neved understood 

• Like 1

I've noticed a significant difference in participation based on entry fees. The higher the entry fee, the more serious the competition tends to be; these are the leagues I enjoy the most. Despite that, I take it way tooooo seriously. My wins and losses change my mood, especially those close games. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

I've noticed a significant difference in participation based on entry fees. The higher the entry fee, the more serious the competition tends to be; these are the leagues I enjoy the most. Despite that, I take it way tooooo seriously. My wins and losses change my mood, especially those close games. 

What kind of leagues do you play in? Ive been looking to join some serious leagues to increase my knowledge of the sport. Ive been in friends and family leagues for so long its hard being one of the smartest in the room, and thats partial credit to this forum alone

1 minute ago, kwelch said:

I feel like I never coast in any of my leagues. Football, Baseball or Basketball. If I am out of it, I still make transactions, trade and try to rebuild for the following year.

I've never done baseball simply because I wasnt sure how it compared to basketball or football but thats interesting. I can really appreciate that kind of attitude though, it makes me want to invite you back next year. The guys who give up are really hard to want back into a competitive league

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JacobThunder15 said:

I've never done baseball simply because I wasnt sure how it compared to basketball or football but thats interesting. I can really appreciate that kind of attitude though, it makes me want to invite you back next year. The guys who give up are really hard to want back into a competitive league

Baseball has become my #1 with Football being a close 2nd. Baseball is such a marathon. Yeah, it doesn't matter if it's a free league or pay. If I commit to play, I am in.

Fantasy sports was invented with the intention to make the conversations surrounding chicken wings and beers more interesting. The ultimate “I know more about sports than you do”, the ultimate “I can do a better job than Jerry Jones” putting a team together. You play with friends and family to have something to talk that can bring people together. You would be rooting for players instead of teams. Like who the hell would watch all these TNF? Gamblers and fantasy players.

Of course it eventually became a number game and you start to play with just anybody that you can find and all you need is some money involved. Then the league will be competitive. That was how Yahoo Pro Leagues get their popularity. 

Of course, there will be people that getting the fatique of following the games and the news. But ultimately it should be something to get your mind away from reality. Hey that is why they called it Fantasy sports, go figure. 

Anyhow, in our longest league, 16 years running, everyone is competitive till the end. And in my Pro leagues, where money is involving, it is cutthroat. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ginocan said:

Fantasy sports was invented with the intention to make the conversations surrounding chicken wings and beers more interesting. The ultimate “I know more about sports than you do”, the ultimate “I can do a better job than Jerry Jones” putting a team together. You play with friends and family to have something to talk that can bring people together. You would be rooting for players instead of teams. Like who the hell would watch all these TNF? Gamblers and fantasy players.

Of course it eventually became a number game and you start to play with just anybody that you can find and all you need is some money involved. Then the league will be competitive. That was how Yahoo Pro Leagues get their popularity. 

Of course, there will be people that getting the fatique of following the games and the news. But ultimately it should be something to get your mind away from reality. Hey that is why they called it Fantasy sports, go figure. 

Anyhow, in our longest league, 16 years running, everyone is competitive till the end. And in my Pro leagues, where money is involving, it is cutthroat. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Ive found that people think they know more no matter what the league, so thats why Ive become so competitive regardless of the league Im in. Something to work on for sure because it has brought in a lot of fans who typically wouldn't watch, but I cant get past when people make those claims then say "Lev Bell is going to be a bell cow and out perform Henry on a better offense" thats when things get heated

15 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

What kind of leagues do you play in? Ive been looking to join some serious leagues to increase my knowledge of the sport. Ive been in friends and family leagues for so long its hard being one of the smartest in the room, and thats partial credit to this forum alone

My favorite leagues are on MFL. The entry fee is serious and the owners act like they are real GMs during the draft, trades, and FAAB. We put our money in leaguesafe and then start our slow draft, 24 hours per pick. Yeah, we might be too serious. 😄

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

My favorite leagues are on MFL. The entry fee is serious and the owners act like they are real GMs during the draft, trades, and FAAB. We put our money in leaguesafe and then start our slow draft, 24 hours per pick. Yeah, we might be too serious. 😄

3 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

So serious that it’s definitely having a negative affect on my mental health.

How do you decide LM? I have a guy who takes hours to push a trade through, but then 5 mins the next without any real consistency is what boils my blood. Especially when money is in the pot and we literally draw out our draft selection at the beginning of the year on skype call

just look at how many posts most of us have on this forum. watch football for 12 hours straight on monday. notifications on for insiders so i can jump on players. staying up until 1-2 am pst so i can get dibs on players who cleared waivers. i guess you can say, pretty serious. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Thats where my league is. Its at a point where in a 12 man league half of them quit if they know their team 1) was affected by injury 2) no one is willing to give them an unrealistic deal. I had a guy sit on Thomas so far all season to have 1 win under his belt because he was too stubborn to move him and now thinks he has a chance to make playoffs. I have to admit I check constantly on forums rankings stats etc but giving up on a league, especially when high money is involved, is something I neved understood 

I feel like I should take offense to this, lol.  That's my exact situation in one league - I have MT and I'm 1-7.  But I don't think we are in the same league (and I certainly don't think that I can make the playoffs).

But I have a pretty decent team, and I always set my lineup and grab guys off waivers if I think they can help (landed Fulgham this year).  Here is the Points Against per team so far in my league:

1247.34 <-- that's my team

What kind of luck is that?  Only had one or two offers for MT, and of course the value wasn't good.  Felt better holding onto him as the hope was he'd be back earlier than when he ended up coming back.  And the hope as a manager is that my team can eek out a few wins and then start rolling up the wins when MT returns.

Not trying to be defensive here, just thought I should explain why a manager might do this.  Fantasy is funny in that we all have different styles.  Mine is draft well and add mostly via shrewd waiver pickups.  I don't trade a lot, especially if I like my team and think they can win going forward (whether they do or not is not really up to me or to any of us).  But I entertain all offers and respond quickly, and I do make trades when I feel it makes sense for my team.

I find in a lot of leagues some managers almost think they are entitled to trade for the guys they want, and they think if they just offer a fair return (in their mind) that I should make the deal.  It doesn't work that way though.  I'm not going to trade a player just because someone else wants him.  If people want MT that bad there is a reason for it.  He's the best WR in the game, and me getting a handful of lesser players for him just so they can each put up 10 points per week (some on my bench cuz, well, they aren't Michael Thomas), to me that isn't usually the way to go.

Edited by Dream On
46 minutes ago, brosephd said:

just look at how many posts most of us have on this forum. watch football for 12 hours straight on monday. notifications on for insiders so i can jump on players. staying up until 1-2 am pst so i can get dibs on players who cleared waivers. i guess you can say, pretty serious. 

I’m on Atlantic time so I usually get up in the middle of the night at 430am to use the washroom and pick up guys on waivers. It seriously messes with my sleep cuz the light from my phone just wakes me right up. 

I find it surprising that many people don’t take it serious in my low money leagues. People leave roster spots empty, and I feel that’s kind of crazy since I take it seriously.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

Absolutely. I'm in a 12 man cash league($200 per) and to help a friend out I agreed to play in a bragging rights only league which will never happen again.

2 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Ask my wife 🤣😣

Perfect answer.

I take it pretty seriously, but also not seriously at all. Objectively, I know it's silly, mostly luck, and ultimately meaningless. But in the moment, it's life or death for my RB to get the 20 more yards I need in the 4th quarter to get me the "win".

Getting way too invested in the ups and downs of something like fantasy football is what makes life fun. So yeah, be super competitive. Get irrationally upset when your stud RB gets vultured from one yard out. Jump for joy when you pull out a win by a fraction of a point. Fantasy football might not actually be that important, but I think it's important to have hobbies and be this passionate about them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dream On said:

I feel like I should take offense to this, lol.  That's my exact situation in one league - I have MT and I'm 1-7.  But I don't think we are in the same league (and I certainly don't think that I can make the playoffs).

But I have a pretty decent team, and I always set my lineup and grab guys off waivers if I think they can help (landed Fulgham this year).  Here is the Points Against per team so far in my league:

1247.34 <-- that's my team

What kind of luck is that?  Only had one or two offers for MT, and of course the value wasn't good.  Felt better holding onto him as the hope was he'd be back earlier than when he ended up coming back.  And the hope as a manager is that my team can eek out a few wins and then start rolling up the wins when MT returns.

Not trying to be defensive here, just thought I should explain why a manager might do this.  Fantasy is funny in that we all have different styles.  Mine is draft well and add mostly via shrewd waiver pickups.  I don't trade a lot, especially if I like my team and think they can win going forward (whether they do or not is not really up to me or to any of us).  But I entertain all offers and respond quickly, and I do make trades when I feel it makes sense for my team.

I find in a lot of leagues some managers almost think they are entitled to trade for the guys they want, and they think if they just offer a fair return (in their mind) that I should make the deal.  It doesn't work that way though.  I'm not going to trade a player just because someone else wants him.  If people want MT that bad there is a reason for it.  He's the best WR in the game, and me getting a handful of lesser players for him just so they can each put up 10 points per week (some on my bench cuz, well, they aren't Michael Thomas), to me that isn't usually the way to go.

Im in the knowledge of, if I saw what you were up against and knew you were actively trying to make the most out of your team thats one thing. The guy I have says the same thing similar to you, but his first priority pickup in waivers is typically a defense. Not Gio Bernard when Mixon went down, not Edmonds, Fulgham, J Rob was on waivers early in season. So hearing his faith in his team then the lack of production when his RB1 is David Johnson and Lev Bell, I find it hard to have a conversation thats actually productive