NBC Sports Edge Forums

How Serious is FF to you?

I used to take it way more seriously but discovered that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Both of my leagues are extremely competitive but I don't get too excited with a win or let down with a loss - so much is left to chance and beyond my control. Better for my overall mental health.

• Like 6
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask my wife 🤣😣

I used to take it way more seriously but discovered that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Both of my leagues are extremely competitive but I don't get too excited with a win or let down with a loss -

This thread made me think of this article.

How serious do I take fantasy? Too serious. Being honest, it affects my mood. Winning isnt even as fun as it used to be; it's expected. Losing due to unreal bad luck really sets me off. I wish I could play just for fun but I'm too competitive. If I'm gonna play then I play to win.

I put a lot into it, and honestly, if you calculated the winnings, then in a good year where you do well, it'd probably still come out to like a dollar an hour after all the time spent researching and watching. But when I get some really terrible luck it makes me realize I dont actually play for the money, I play for the competition and bragging rights amongst my friends who think they're evil geniuses when a ball ricochets 13 times Happy Gilmore style into their receivers hands to just barely beat me by 0.3 in half-ppr. F this game, and bless it at the same time. 

• Like 4

I need to watch screen time 💯.  I’ve played in leagues where I poured in so much time, and had good/terrible outcomes.  Other years and more so recently have learned to layback a little more, still keeping up with the updates, forums, waiver, defence matchups etc...and still have good/ bad outcomes.  There’s just too much luck involved to constantly be refreshing pages.  Sometime meaningful and comprehensive information.  Sometime repetitive and throw of a dart... Where then It is more of a hobby.  I guess as long as you can keep a good mental head around it, but it just gets too much to my head 

I take it pretty seriously, but I try not to take it too seriously. I don't want losing to crush my day or my week over something that is a hobby that I invest money into. One of the things I like about keeper leagues is that if I decide I'm out of the running for the playoffs, I can always build for the next season. I find that to be quite a bit of fun, too, especially because we can trade draft picks in my primary league. I got hammered hard the first 3-4 weeks with injuries last year and it was obvious that I wasn't going to be making the playoffs...so I just started building for this year. And voila! Got to find a way to enjoy the season no matter what I find my situation to be :)

Since I'm largely working from home (software developing) I am able to hang around this forum all day. Unfortunetly because of the time diference that's mostly during US' night time, so the forum is pretty quiet. In breakfast break I always read to nearly every thread I have some connection with my fantasy team. After that I normally read every article I can get my hand on. So i would say FF is my #1 hobby by now. I convinced my home league to switch to dynasty format, so I can think about FF 365 days in a year.

In said 16 team league I'd say like half of the teams look into Sleeper twice a week. The other 7 are quite into it.

Also I'm a trade whore. Unfortunetly there is only one other team that is that into trading, too. There hasn't been any trade this year where neither of us 2 where involved and since the startup draft (august this year) between us two we already made like 8 oder 9 trades. We essentially talk about nothing else the whole day 🤷‍♂️.

But I cannot imagine a better hobby right now during Covid Times (Germany is going into a soft lockdown again).

Slight off topic:
I don't know if it is the same for you in the US, but here my sleeper app is like 5 seconds faster than any stream or game shown on TV and that really kills the fun in watching my fantasy players play live.

10 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

I've noticed a significant difference in participation based on entry fees. The higher the entry fee, the more serious the competition tends to be; these are the leagues I enjoy the most. Despite that, I take it way tooooo seriously. My wins and losses change my mood, especially those close games. 

Couldn't agree more with this.

9 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’m on Atlantic time so I usually get up in the middle of the night at 430am to use the washroom and pick up guys on waivers. It seriously messes with my sleep cuz the light from my phone just wakes me right up. 

A guy used to do this in our league. It was so freaking annoying to the rest of us who valued sleep over fantasy football. Switched to FAAB, problem solved 

11 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

This thread made me think of this article.

Must play in a $10 league. 😂

In one league, I came in 3rd place last year and still won $500.

ETA: I skimmed the article and that is pathetic. Apparently was a $30 league, but money spent investing amounted to $900. All for an Xbox controller????!!!!!  

Edited by Silent-Trader
26 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

Must play in a $10 league. 😂

In one league, I came in 3rd place last year and still won $500.

ETA: I skimmed the article and that is pathetic. Apparently was a $30 league, but money spent investing amounted to $900. All for an Xbox controller????!!!!!  

Onion is satire(fake)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1