How Serious is FF to you?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask my wife 🤣😣

I used to take it way more seriously but discovered that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Both of my leagues are extremely competitive but I don't get too excited with a win or let down with a loss -

This thread made me think of this article.

I think this year especially fantasy has played a bigger part in a lot of peoples lives. With COVID things are at a stand still for many folks, and any feeling of normalcy means a lot. 

Being able to watch football with a couple friends I know aren't sick and talk trash at the same time feels good. Especially for me living in Chicago since everything has basically been shutdown since April.

I've always taken it seriously but even more so this year. 

• Like 3

I pretty much have fantasy all year. 

I do golf, basketball, baseball and football all for money and pretty serious leagues.

Football is about my least favorite, as there is so much specialization now, it is tough to predict from week to week how your team will do.  The number of lineups and packages NFL teams use give more players opportunities to score or be involved on a big play. That is a big change from when I first started playing FF. 

The thing I like is that most games that I tune into, I have a player(s) to cheer for or against. So it makes the game more interesting to watch.

I used to be really die hard about fantasy football, but it’s really lost a lot of its shine over the years.  That’s probably because of all the money I’ve put into it combined with the fact that I haven’t won back one penny in the last 14 seasons. In fantasy baseball, I’ve been very successful. But it’s a free league (although established with a solid core of players).  And constantly winning the free baseball has also lost it’s fun, largely because it just reminds me of my football failures. 

I won’t stop playing either, but I’m not sure WHY I keep doing them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oliminator123 said:

I think this year especially fantasy has played a bigger part in a lot of peoples lives. With COVID things are at a stand still for many folks, and any feeling of normalcy means a lot. 

Being able to watch football with a couple friends I know aren't sick and talk trash at the same time feels good. Especially for me living in Chicago since everything has basically been shutdown since April.

I've always taken it seriously but even more so this year. 

I can understand that, being in college still makes the competition even higher when I have to run into league mates in other classes after a big win or upset. I think its an easy source to find a similar interest with maybe people you wouldnt normally even speak to on a daily basis. Didnt think this thread would be this popular, but if any of you have leagues where there might be interest in new members shoot it down below!

2 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

100%. Really looked forward to it this year. I'm in five leagues, one of which is a dynasty. And I'm doing poorly in all of them lmao.
I mean the funnest part for me is the draft itself. I look forward to that soo much every year. And I'm looking forward to the next one already. *womp womp*

If you measure "seriousness" by time spent, then I suppose I take it seriously, and I'll scream and punch the air every now and then. One thing is for sure. It equally helps and destroys my serotonin levels. 

Edited by dropshadows
Just now, dropshadows said:

100%. Really looked forward to it this year. I'm in five leagues, one of which is a dynasty. And I'm doing poorly in all of them lmao.

If you measure "importance" by time spent, then I suppose its rather important. One thing is for sure. It equally helps and destroys my serotonin levels. 

I mean the funnest part for me is the draft itself. I look forward to that soo much every year. And I'm looking forward to the next one already. *womp womp*

Draft season is so incredible. This is only my second year doing fantasy but I've jumped in feet first for sure.

I definitely take it too seriously. I'm doing pretty much average in both of my leagues (still in the playoff hunt, but not super optimistic). I'm basically glued to the TV all Sunday and losses make me tilt more than I'd like.

Pulled off a big trade last night and couldn't sleep afterwards. Spent like two hours thinking about what I would do w/r/t waivers as a result of the trade.

My GF plays in my main league with me (she's doing much better than I am and is probably getting a bye). I think that helps her deal with my fantasy mood swings.

9 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

Draft season is so incredible. This is only my second year doing fantasy but I've jumped in feet first for sure.

I definitely take it too seriously. I'm doing pretty much average in both of my leagues (still in the playoff hunt, but not super optimistic). I'm basically glued to the TV all Sunday and losses make me tilt more than I'd like.

Pulled off a big trade last night and couldn't sleep afterwards. Spent like two hours thinking about what I would do w/r/t waivers as a result of the trade.

My GF plays in my main league with me (she's doing much better than I am and is probably getting a bye). I think that helps her deal with my fantasy mood swings.

This is my tenth year playing in money leagues, I won two leagues last year and this year I'll be lucky to make the playoffs in any of them. That's the nature of the game. And I hear you about being glued to the TV. THAT is where I think it becomes unhealthy. Gotta make sure everything that needs to get done is done before 1pm comes around. Guilty as charged.

I'm jealous man, every girl I dated hated football and hated when I checked my phone for FF. 

Edited by dropshadows

I think I'm one of the most competitive people in my league.

I'm starting research in February right after the Super Bowl for next season.  I listen to podcasts.  I spend way too much time reading various websites and posting on this forum.  I have multiple apps.  I get the notification and I'm usually the first to beat everyone to the punch to get the hot free agent.  Sundays cause me anxiety and my wife can tell how my teams did by my mood, which I'll admit is not a good thing.

This year however, I've tried to take a step back.  2020 has been crazy for everyone.  Covid has changed the way we live.  And for me, it's given me more perspective about what's important.  Family.  Health.  Appreciating what we have.  Fantasy football is a first world problem.  It doesn't bother me as much if my team isn't doing well, if all my players are injured, if I lose because of a wrong decision.  It's just a fake game and there's much bigger problems in life.  I think it's a healthier attitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, dropshadows said:

This is my tenth year playing in money leagues, I won two leagues last year and this year I'll be lucky to make the playoffs in any of them. That's the nature of the game. And I hear you about being glued to the TV. THAT is where I think it becomes unhealthy. Gotta make sure everything that needs to get done is done before 1pm comes around. Guilty as charged.

I'm jealous man, every girl I dated hated football and hated when I checked my phone for FF. 

Sunday being a giant black hole is rough, I'll admit. And it's pretty much 6-9 hours of pure stress lol.

She's a keeper for sure. Just praying we don't end up against each other in the playoffs (if I make it in).

it was a lot more serious for me back when I was unhappily married.  Now I'm out dating (aka: getting laid a lot) aaaaand FF is kind of on the back burner now.  That plus this being a weird covid season and all.  

18 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Ive come across in various leagues guys who will draft and never touch their board again, and from a competitive standpoint that drives me crazy. I was curious what the surrounding audience thoughts on if at times you take this a little too seriously whether money is involved or not? I know Im not the only one who is highly competitive, but I certainly would rather be this way than have a cakeway to a championship every year

I try to win everything I play. To do that it all comes down to being informed, proactive and learning from the past. That's good advice for any activity, really.

Pretty serious, but I don’t let it affect my mood/life. I do really enjoy it. I play football/baseball/basketball year round so I’m Pretty invested. Basketball is the best one imo. Week long matchups and the studs are much more consistent. You don’t deal with Julio dropping 3 and then dropping 40. 

Very serious but not as serious as me rooting for my fav team and seeing them lose. A big loss by my fav team in football can take me days; maybe even a week to get over it. For fantasy football, I get over it almost instantly. 

I take FF seriously because I have two main leagues that I've been in for over a decade. Wining a chip is bragging rights for the entire year with people that I socialize with often. I talk a ton of trash and winning chips helps lol. Also, I take part in DFS and a little betting as well which makes football as a whole so much more intense and exciting.

Edited by nonstopfan

I used to do fantasy baseball and football but slowly baseball fell out of favor for me. The baseball season just goes on so so SO long and every year, regardless of who we found to fill out the league and whether or not we did roto or h2h, by the middle of the season half the teams would have decided they were out of it and lost interest and then it just felt like...months of managing a team in a league with a bunch of zombie teams only to lose by a mile to whoever drafted mike trout. For football I probably peaked at...being in 5 or 6 leagues 5 seasons or so ago and that was too much for me. Now I do 2 a year, maybe 3. I've been in a dynasty league for over a decade and that's my serious money league. The other league is just whatever random redraft league I end up in through work or friends. I like to have one "f--- around" league like this every year. I still take it seriously and play to win but it's nice to have a league I can make moves in that won't potentially affect outcomes for years like my dynasty league. 

I take it pretty seriously. i generally start poking around these forums and listening to a couple different podcasts in early august. this year especially the forums, etc have been a good distraction from doom scrolling and whatnot so I've hit them pretty hard. I don't get nearly as angry or disappointed as I used to on Sundays. Part of that is I think I've matured a bit and gained some perspective but the other part is my most serious team, my dynasty team, has been a bulldozer for years now. i've made the championship for the last 3 seasons and won the last two and I'm having a very good season this year. I know that won't last forever but at this point I feel like i'm playing with house money so it's just much easier to take the random bad beats and let them roll of my back. Also, given the amount of winning I've enjoyed recently I just haven't had to deal with any of those seasons we all seem to have every once in awhile where it just seems like very move you make is the wrong one and everybody scores a million points against you every week. We'll see if I can maintain my enlightened perspective in the face of one of those seasons.

Overall though I think I still put a lot of time in to this stuff but I just don't let the wins or the losses define my mood as much. It used to be if I lost it would spoil my mood for a couple days and if I lost because I did something stupid I would obsess over it. Now I look at it more as like...poker and taking a bad beat. No matter how good your process is there will still be bad outcomes because luck is a factor and you have to understand and be ok with that. 

See you all in the vent & rant thread. Hah. 

• Thanks 1

I just got into the game 6 years ago but I'm very competitive and went from Googling "running back" to winning that season. The smarter I get the worse I do lol. 

As of yesterday I'm 2-7 in my dynasty league so my interest has waned. I can't even find a good prospect for a 2021 breakout. 

I take it way too seriously..self admit that, and really wish I could play different, but it's just how I'm wired. I'm wayyyyy to hard on myself when I lose, it ruins my day when I lose especially the ridiculous way I do lose. I put a lot of research into this, I'd take it serious even if it wasn't for money. The only reason we switched to a money league was to weed out the casuals that would stop setting lineups after Week 3 or so, but yeah, I'd say out of our 12 man league, I take it the hardest. Some of my reasons I do are personal and I won't get into it and play the pity party, but some of it is just because I've always been competitive