NBC Sports Edge Forums

How Serious is FF to you?

Very serious, I’m in leagues where I have completed 60 moves and people have completed less than 20. I’m in 14 leagues. There’s not much to do during this pandemic except read about fantasy football for me. It frustrates me and I hate it at times, but it’s a good way to keep in touch of high school and college friends, old coworkers, family friends and relatives that live far from you. I have a difficult time in saying no to fantasy football invites. A bad tnf matchup will ruin my Friday and Saturday. I stay up until Monday midnight just to drop players even though it doesn’t not offer any advantage and can wait.  Fortunately waivers run around 1 am now, so I’m ok staying up till then. In past seasons, they would run at 3am and I would stay up until then just so I don’t waste a waiver claim on a kicker or defense.  I was never into podcasts until I found out about fantasy football podcasts. I check my lineups and the ww several times throughout the day. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ask my wife 🤣😣

I used to take it way more seriously but discovered that takes a lot of the fun out of it. Both of my leagues are extremely competitive but I don't get too excited with a win or let down with a loss -

This thread made me think of this article.

Probably should be a lot less serious after tonight’s clown show. There’s like almost no way to improve after injuries and teams that are inactive that you can’t trade with or are too risk averse. Drafting busts is literally a death knell to a team. Whenever your stud duds for the week, it’s even worse and inexplicable given the draft capital.

It is so out of your control, I don’t even know why I or we even enjoy this. You literally get no return on investment, but get a thrill whenever a player hits or a touchdown is scored. Legit gambling and or drug addiction this hobby is. Every input and research you can ever do doesn’t even matter when coaching is ******** atrocious or a few plays go here and there and f--- up the entire game flow for your player.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CPuente57 said:

I take it way too seriously..self admit that, and really wish I could play different, but it's just how I'm wired. I'm wayyyyy to hard on myself when I lose, it ruins my day when I lose especially the ridiculous way I do lose. I put a lot of research into this, I'd take it serious even if it wasn't for money. The only reason we switched to a money league was to weed out the casuals that would stop setting lineups after Week 3 or so, but yeah, I'd say out of our 12 man league, I take it the hardest. Some of my reasons I do are personal and I won't get into it and play the pity party, but some of it is just because I've always been competitive

Can you at least give us a hint?  I am legit tantalized by this post.

4 hours ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

It is so out of your control, I don’t even know why I or we even enjoy this. You literally get no return on investment, but get a thrill whenever a player hits or a touchdown is scored. Legit gambling and or drug addiction this hobby is. Every input and research you can ever do doesn’t even matter when coaching is ******** atrocious or a few plays go here and there and f--- up the entire game flow for your player.

Jonathan Taylor on your fantasy team?  Mine, too.

On 11/11/2020 at 4:27 AM, The Cam's Pyjamas said:

I’d say I spend about 50% of my waking hours watching replays, reading this forum, reading opinions on ESPN, Footballguys, Rotowire, Rotoviz.

So, fairly important, I guess...

I think I am right there with you.

A few years ago, I realized that studying the players and making moves and watching the injury reports were enjoyable in themselves.

I used to take it way too seriously where my mood Sunday/Monday would soley be based on if I won or lost.  I stopped playing at that point for a year or so... Got back into it and I'm much less over the top with it.  It's supposed to be a fun hobby, but I NEEDED to win. 

I take it more seriously than I should.  I actually had to take a hiatus from it for a while because it consumed me and I hated watching football games on TV.  I'd get ticked if they threw to a WR instead of giving it to my RB at the goal line and I spent way to much time reading the stat lines at the bottom of the screen.  I recently got back into it though because my son wanted to join a league with me.  So, here I am, doing all the research I should and I am still losing games that I was projected to win because players put up duds of games (insert AJ Brown here lol).  I have the most fantasy points in our league, but I am sitting in 3rd place at 5-4.  I'll make the playoffs, but the game is so maddening and frustrating because it is completely contingent on how the players perform on a week to week basis.

It baffles me why anyone would ever talk to an NFL player about fantasy football.  Well, except Clay Mathews, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Matt Hasselbeck.  All three openly discussed playing fantasy football while they were active NFL players.

Clay said in an interview that he loved playing with Aaron Rodgers and also had Rodgers on his fantasy team; MJD used to always take himself with the 1st pick overall; one time Matt Hasselbeck did not start himself in fantasy and that week he threw for 400 yards and 5 TDs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I think I am right there with you.

A few years ago, I realized that studying the players and making moves and watching the injury reports were enjoyable in themselves.

Playing dynasty is even more fun for this reason. I spend the spring studying incoming rookies and writing up my own player profiles. It's fun to draft a good team in redraft, but it's even better to nail a rookie draft!

Hey y’all. Recovering Fantasy Junkie here. 

I play on 4 teams. Two I co-manage with best friends and it’s super super fun. But the only one I truly care about is my 12 team commish league. 

long story short, I’ve cared A LOT about fantasy results for the past 5-6 years if not the majority of my time playing (10 years). I’m absolutely in the ‘relieved and a little happy when I win’ and ‘low key tilt to legit upset’ when I lose. 

However, due to life circumstances, this year has taught me that fantasy is best taken lighter and with more fun, win or lose. This is the first year I can enjoy MORE the trash talk with friends and real football being played than the fake box scores. Sometimes I won’t even watch football on Sundays because I do other things. And lemme just say, it’s way more enjoyable to be out doing something else you like than anxiously watching redzone and checking other scores. 

I still care, A LOT, but I don’t think it controls me or my mood anymore, and it feels unbelievably freeing. I’m really happy for it. And I hope you all can find a better balance, too. 

PS having a few teams/co-managing really helps, especially if you suck like me and you constantly underperform in your most important league 😬🤫🤣

• Like 1

For the record, this thread is beyond hilarious, lmao!  I'm officially in my 21st year of fantasy sports.  I only play Football and Basketball so that my "Off Season" is the summer.  I definitely have had more highs than lows over the past 21 years I've been doing this but it's comes at some cost.  The ROI is usually never worth the amount of time I dedicate to this, but the silver lining is that my winnings almost always pays for one of my annual vacation that I like to take in January.  Like others, my mood has been affected after "certain" loses in the past, but I've realized I haven't felt the "hurt" as much as I once use too.  I believe it's because I came to the realization a few years ago that no matter what amount of research that I do or how savvy that I think I am, Fantasy Football comes down to about 30% skill and 70% luck. That's definitely help me sleep better at night and not get me as worked up as I use too.  Also, once I started to silently route against my own team (Raiders), I knew something I had to give.  

About 9 years ago I was at a Raiders Lions games in Oakland and it was during the Semi Finals Round of the Fantasy Football Playoffs.  I had just blew a gasket watching the 1 o'clock east coast games outside of the stadium after my opponent's team went off during that window.  So, I walk into the stadium with an attitude (my first Raiders home game at that as I flew cross-country to watch this) take my seat in the black hole to silently rout against my own team I just flew 3,000 miles to see because I need Stafford and Megatron to go off to save my season.  To make a long story longer, Tron scores the game winning TD right in front of me with like 40 seconds left in the 4th (Dude went 9 for 214 and 2 TD's while Stafford went 391 w/ 4 TD's) to take the lead and beat my Silver and Black by one point.  While everybody in the section is leaving the stadium dejected and upset, my disloyal a $ $ has the biggest sinister grin on my face as I just pulled out the miracle comeback I needed to get into the finals (Won by .67 points).  I went on to win the chip the next week but promised myself I will never rout again my own team under any circumstance and haven't.  Though, every Raider game that I've been to in person since then, they've lost, lol (My penances I guess). +1 for the highs

A year earlier though, I felt the flip side of that coin when I lost my Fantasy Basketball Championship by one BLOCK when out of all people Reggie Williams blocked Nicholas Batum weak a $ $ layup attempt at the beginning of the 3rd quarter on the last day of the regular season.  I was sick for a week. 

Those two experiences of that extreme high (winning, though kinda routing against my own team) and also losing a Championship like that helped me mellow out for the past 10 years or so to whereas I don't even start doing research for either sport until a week or so before my drafts.   Now, I just due my normal due diligence, set me line-up, offer a few trades and hit the wire like any other manager.  With all that being said, I've spend more time writing this post than I have going over the roster of my 6 different teams this entire week and I'm cool with that.  Now watch I lose a heartbreaker this week and have to reevaluate this entire post 🙂

• Like 3

I don’t know why but I went from three leagues to seven leagues this year. I wanted to try more dynasty, so I picked up three dynasty teams and created a fourth league which is keeper league. I have been winning money at this for years and decided to expand. Not sure if it will work. But I’m having fun so that is all that matters. I enjoy reading content here from others if they have great news they’ve scoured or good insight into a players outlook. 

I only played 2 seasons before deducing FF is ridiculous luck based bullshit, like 95% luck.

Its fun to stat everything out to the dot and lose to some guy who auto drafts and only watches local games. Constantly going against the high score of the week.

A guy who drafted P.Manning on 1/1 when Manning was on the way down.

As you can see, I'm only here for the V&R,

On 11/13/2020 at 9:02 AM, Pooskay said:

Seek help.

I’m in a league with a guy who’s in over 80 leagues. Another was in over 90 leagues a couple of years ago and is down to 30-something. I’m in two and am very happy with that. Lol.