NBC Sports Edge Forums

Salvon Ahmed 2020 Outlook

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is Miami's obsession with Washington backs? Both him and Gaskin were teammates and they traded for a RB NAMED Washington.

Gaskin had 18 carries for 91 yards, and 5 receptions for 35 yards two weeks ago.

Gaskin performed well and started in front of Ahmed in college, why is it hard to believe he'd take the job back?

5 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I wouldn't rely much on the Dolphins running game. They've had only one 100 yd rusher this season (namely Ahmed last weekend) and half the games they barely got to 100 yards as a team (and that includes 150 yds from Fitzmagic).

Seriously underwhelming stuff. They had to run as they literally had nobody left to throw it too, but if Gesicki is back, I don't know that they're going to surpass 100 yds again. 

Start one Dolphin in your flex: maybe, as a desperation play. Start 2? Only if you play me in the finals.

Well they use the RBs in the passing game quite a bit and if Gesicki and Parker are out again they become very valuable in ppr.

3 hours ago, bakes781 said:

Well they use the RBs in the passing game quite a bit and if Gesicki and Parker are out again they become very valuable in ppr.

That has the makings for what sounds like a 1 dimensional, easily defended offensive strategy...no thanks!

2 hours ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

When will we get word on Gaskin? 

Rotoworld said he practiced today and will probably come off the covid 19 list. But in reality we won’t know anything till game time to see if he’s activated. Freeman came off the covid 19 list last week and practiced but wasn’t activated. Same has happened to other players. 

Edited by StevenSC400
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

Rotoworld said he practiced today and will probably come off the covid 19 list. But in reality we won’t know anything till game time to see if he’s activated. Freeman came off the covid 19 list last week and practiced but wasn’t activated. Same has happened to other players. 

It's mildly helpful this is one of the Saturday games. You should be able to play the best-chance option without having a crystal ball. It's also one less day Gaskin has to get his cardio back up to par. 

I like Gaskin just fine (saw him every Saturday in his UW days) and he definitely has a future in the NFL but I think he'll be a role player all said and done. His receiving skills would really play well in a place like KC for instance. He simply does not, however, run with the decisiveness and power that Ahmed has shown. It's really not close imo. So even if Gaskin is a go - considering the matchup - I'm not taking starting both off the table. 

I would prefer to start Ahmed in this matchup if I had to choose one. 

• Like 2

Gaskin remaining inactive due to covid has to affect him right? Whether it’s his conditioning or how much the coaches want to push him.. you would have to figure it has an impact on his play. This is definitely a wait and see approach but I’d view it as Ahmed remaining the favorite for touches. I understand it’s still risky to play him if they’re both active though. 

On 12/21/2020 at 1:01 PM, kyoun1e said:

I wonder if there is enough room this week for both to be productive. Breida got some licks in this past weekend.

This matchup is great and I have a feeling the Miami D doesn't let Mariota roll quite as much as the LAC did last week.

Could be a little bit of Mostert/Wilson in Ahmed/Gaskin.

Breida looked FAR superior to Ahmed this past week, but for some reason they kept feeding Ahmed who had one amazing 31 yd run for sure, won't take that from him...showed great vision and patience but EVERY OTHER CARRY was expected yards or worse...consistently ran into the backs of his line and right into tacklers.

Breida fired up about 8 yards on EVERY one of his runs...most between the tackles, and Ahmed looks tiny out there...with Gaskin out I expect a share again with Breida mixing in more hopefully, but Gaskin takes over if he is back as the superior talent to his former backup...Breida still is the most talented of them all so it is an interesting situation to watch.

Edited by BrooklynGarbageMen
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, BrooklynGarbageMen said:

Breida looked FAR superior to Ahmed this past week, but for some reason they kept feeding Ahmed who had one amazing 31 yd run for sure, won't take that from him...showed great vision and patience but EVERY OTHER CARRY was expected yards or worse...consistently ran into the backs of his line and right into tacklers.

Breida fired up about 8 yards on EVERY one of his runs...most between the tackles, and Ahmed looks tiny out there...with Gaskin out I expect a share again with Breida mixing in more hopefully, but Gaskin takes over if he is back as the superior talent to his former backup...Breida still is the most talented of them all so it is an interesting situation to watch.

Are you seriously saying Brenda is the most talented RB on the Dolphins?  Clearly the dolphins coaches don’t agree.  Despite a lot of injuries to their RBs, he hasn’t had the highest RB snap count even once this year.  He looked good last week, but to say he is the “most talented of them all” screams of someone who has Breida on their fantasy roster and is wanting to see more than what is really happening

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Loadedbrewer said:

Are you seriously saying Brenda is the most talented RB on the Dolphins?  Clearly the dolphins coaches don’t agree.  Despite a lot of injuries to their RBs, he hasn’t had the highest RB snap count even once this year.  He looked good last week, but to say he is the “most talented of them all” screams of someone who has Breida on their fantasy roster and is wanting to see more than what is really happening

Have literally never owned Breida...but he has been out pretty much all year...instead this is someone taking into account how good he looked with SF and how good he looked last game...which is what I mainly assessed.

55 minutes ago, BrooklynGarbageMen said:

Have literally never owned Breida...but he has been out pretty much all year...instead this is someone taking into account how good he looked with SF and how good he looked last game...which is what I mainly assessed.

Breida actually only missed about 4 games this year, Howard was the guy who was constantly out all year.

I don’t think Breida’s played more than 32% of the snaps in any one game, so there may have been a concentrated effort to limit his usage after seeing how he constantly fell apart the past two years in SF.

I agree with you that he did look good last game, but I think what gives Ahmed the edge in fantasy is he’s had the primary workload in most games he’s been active. Ahmed’s actually only played in 4 games this year, but in those 4 games he’s played 46%, 76%, 66% and 60% of the snaps.

Tough situation to read but I think if you need to start a Miami back Ahmed seems like the safe bet.

Edited by JDE
  • Thanks 1

The main problem for Ahmed is that Gaskin is going to get most of the work in the passing game. Just look at their usage in that aspect. The second problem is Gaskin isn’t going to be just the third down back but rather in a likely split.

I just don’t see Ahmed as startable. If things go south at least Gaskin can salvage the day with some receptions. Ahmed will likely need a TD and considering no one knows who will get GL carries it’s not exactly comforting to have to depend on one.

Edited by Gohawks