NBC Sports Edge Forums

Is it getting harder to define the studs?

42 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

In a word, yes.

RB and QB is still pretty easy to identify studs, and TE has only one or 2 actual studs. 

WR is where it has become a very real crapshoot. 

Who are the War studs beyond Hill, Diggs, Keenan Allen, and Adams? Julio, when he's actually healthy, I guess. That's 5 guys.

Hopkins? MT? AJ Brown? Mike Evans? Godwin? Lockett or Metcalf? Robby Anderson? McLauren? Etc. Etc. 

All have stud talent, but none have had consistent stud production. 

This is exactly what I think is the biggest in the past 5 years.  There are about 5 top wr’s and maybe top 4 rb’s, then you can throw the next 20 wr’s and 15 rbs in a hat and hope to pick the right guy each week.

I’m in several auction leagues and I have been spending nearly all my budget on starters and not worrying about the bench for the past few years, which has worked well.  Next year I’m going more focused and spending enough to get 3 of the real studs and then fill in the rest with low cost trash and play the waiver wire.  Could bust in a huge way if injuries hit....but probably no worse than it would be now

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Loadedbrewer said:

This is exactly what I think is the biggest in the past 5 years.  There are about 5 top wr’s and maybe top 4 rb’s, then you can throw the next 20 wr’s and 15 rbs in a hat and hope to pick the right guy each week.

I’m in several auction leagues and I have been spending nearly all my budget on starters and not worrying about the bench for the past few years, which has worked well.  Next year I’m going more focused and spending enough to get 3 of the real studs and then fill in the rest with low cost trash and play the waiver wire.  Could bust in a huge way if injuries hit....but probably no worse than it would be now

Absolutely. In an auction, give me the best value elite RB, elite WR, and either Kittle or Kelce. Everything after that is just gravy. 

I define the stud every day like Stuart Smalley. I'm good enough and I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me. I am tending to draft obvious studs lately though since its harder to guess the mid grade guys. I have a lot of teams built around guys like Mahomes and Kamara and Mclaurin, obvious studs regardless of situation, although they've all been more high floor lately 

13 hours ago, Silent-Trader said:

Honestly, right now, I'm a fan of deep leagues (16 teams or more) or best ball. In the deeper leagues, players have more value, even RBBC players. Try playing in a 32 team league and things will level out pretty quickly. 

imho 16 team is the perfect size. At least if you play PPR 1QB (not sure if Super Flex is very fun in 16 teamers). 

For this whole situation I would take 2020 out of the equation. With all the Covid bs that's going on and the increased injuries.

I guess this "unpredictability" for studs is due to more and more offenses using the RBBC approach we all hate in fantasy football and are in general more pass heavy. Look around how many teams are in the NFL that can produce 2 (or sometimes even 3) durable WR seemingly effortless. WIth more potential scorers comes a higher chance that the top ten are different every week with few WR being the consistent #1 on their team.