NBC Sports Edge Forums

Gleyber Torres 2021 Outlook

10 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

He’s one of the guys I’d buy low on for that reason if I didn’t already own him. Seeing the strike zone is a good sign of things to come and, though this season is a small sample size, it’s something he’s been working on since entering the 2020 season. If he can maintain this walk rate I have a feeling he’s going to rake this summer as the temperatures increase and weather gets better. 

Not as long as he is trying to hit 500 ft Hrs every AB imo.  He has the same affliction the rest of the team has for the most part.  Outside of DJ and maybe Urshella, they are all trying to hit it out of the park every AB.  It has been an approach problem before and continues to be a problem.  There is a reason why DJ is successful...he goes to all fields and understands situational hitting.  Something that is completely lost on the likes of Judge, Stanton, Torres, Sanchez and Hicks imo.

• Like 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gleyber had a disappointing season in 2020, due to injury and underperformance. His defense was not good but I'm not going to talk about whether he moves back to 2nd base or stays at SS (all unknown a

the yanks have almost certainly thought of this though and sent him to an eye doctor.  i think its standard procedure in these situations   i dont buy the "bad eyes" narrative.  tbh, the HIV

wtf....AIDS???  what makes you say that?  are their certain rumors about him?  private message me if you arent comfortable saying it publicly    edit: lol

Posted Images

1 hour ago, secretagentman said:

Not as long as he is trying to hit 500 ft Hrs every AB imo.  He has the same affliction the rest of the team has for the most part.  Outside of DJ and maybe Urshella, they are all trying to hit it out of the park every AB.  It has been an approach problem before and continues to be a problem.  There is a reason why DJ is successful...he goes to all fields and understands situational hitting.  Something that is completely lost on the likes of Judge, Stanton, Torres, Sanchez and Hicks imo.

I already pointed out that Torres is going opposite field almost half of his batted balls (47%) when he has been around 25% in each of his first 3 seasons but I guess you want to ignore that.

On 4/20/2021 at 1:58 PM, sportsfreak2744 said:

I already pointed out that Torres is going opposite field almost half of his batted balls (47%) when he has been around 25% in each of his first 3 seasons but I guess you want to ignore that.

There haven't even been enough batted ball events for that to be particularly meaningful yet. You need at least 60-70 batted balls to really start drawing conclusions about approach/swing/exit velo, etc

FWIW he did look better tonight. First game all year he looked like a competent hitter with a plan up there. Let's hope it's the start of something.

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

There haven't even been enough batted ball events for that to be particularly meaningful yet. You need at least 60-70 batted balls to really start drawing conclusions about approach/swing/exit velo, etc

It doesn't have to be statistically meaningful for it to tell us what's happened already. 

[...] I'm torn on him and I'm a Yankees fan.  It looks like the 38 HR season was more juiced ball than reality.  His 24 HR season is likely a better expectation power wise.  Looking at him at each level he looks like this.

A - .293/.353/.386

AA - .267/.350/.410

AAA - .273/.367/.496

MLB - .268/.339/.480

He looks like a  .275/25/85/85 SS/MI with the upside for more.  The defense being so shaky is kinda a surprise.  I didn't know he'd struggle so much playing SS.  If those struggles continue it could affect him at the plate all season long.  He's a great buying opportunity if you can get him at a good discount.  I just don't think he's the 38 homer guy from 2019 so keep that in mind if it's what you're expecting.   

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • 2 weeks later...

This guy is horrid.  Hard to fathom that he hit 38 HRs with a .871 OPS in 2019 preceeded by a 24 HR rookie season in 2018.

[...]

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jb_power said:

This guy is horrid.  Hard to fathom that he hit 38 HRs with a .871 OPS in 2019 preceeded by a 24 HR rookie season in 2018.

[...]

Yeah I don't know what happened, seems like every AB I see is just weak contact

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

[...]

Im scared to see what his career numbers look like without his 2019 games vs Baltimore. 

15 hours ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Is this guy the ultimate buy low in Dynasty leagues? Feels like someone who no one wants that you can get for a real fraction of the price. 

Nope, could be Garry Sanchez jr, could be good, hard to tell

Boone said he can return very soon from his flu, some say a week, anyone have a grasp on when or an estimate?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

Nope, could be Garry Sanchez jr, could be good, hard to tell

Boone said he can return very soon from his flu, some say a week, anyone have a grasp on when or an estimate?

He didn't have the flu, he tested positive for covid and is asymptomatic, and they said there is a possibility he could return this weekend if he has two negative tests in a row. He already had covid and was vaccinated and was one of the breakthrough cases on the yanks.

Edited by Picard56
15 hours ago, Daytraders2019 said:

Is this guy the ultimate buy low in Dynasty leagues? Feels like someone who no one wants that you can get for a real fraction of the price. 

There are rumors that the Yanks might try to trade for Story, which would move Torres to 2nd. I think that would improve his offense as he doesn't have to worry about playing Short anymore... possibly.

• Like 1

Maybe Gleyber could use this off-time to buy a pair of glasses - I honestly think he can’t see out there.

He seems to be benefiting quite a bit from batted-ball luck - he’s still not striking the ball with authority.  Most of his hits are seeing-eye singles or bloop flares.  Obviously I hope this is the start of something more significant - but I remain convinced he needs some form of corrective for his vision.

19 hours ago, BMcP said:

He seems to be benefiting quite a bit from batted-ball luck - he’s still not striking the ball with authority.  Most of his hits are seeing-eye singles or bloop flares.  Obviously I hope this is the start of something more significant - but I remain convinced he needs some form of corrective for his vision.

100% spot-on in regards to your assessment of Torres as far as not striking the ball with authority. The nice numbers he’s put up in the three or four games since he returned after a brief COVID hiatus are smoke and mirrors IMO. I don’t know if he needs corrective eye surgery or not (seems plausible enough though), but to anyone paying attention beyond the box score, it is very apparent something just ain’t right with him.

I’ve been trying to sell Torres everywhere I have him for several weeks now, but to no avail. Rightly or wrongly, he had reached throw-in status in the eyes of many. So now that Torres has had some fortunate luck with his week contact the past few games and finally capturing some actual counting stats to show for it (something that, for anyone solely looking at a box score, would/could be be deceived into thinking Gleyber has finally come around), this is exactly the good fortune Torres owners have been - or at least should have been - hoping for.

This presents the perfect opportunity to sell him for perhaps even up to 80 cents on the dollar, as opposing to 10 to 20 cents on the dollar (and in some cases not even that) he had otherwise been eliciting the handful of weeks that preceded. But if you plan one ditching Gleyber for something of decent value, I recommend acting fast, because that window of opportunity is likely to be short lived. He isn’t hitting the ball hard at all and there are no signs as far as I can tell that this is changing anytime soon if at all in 2021. The chances Torres rakes like the 2018 & 2019 versions of himself at some point this season, is far, far from inevitable. In fact I’d even go as far to say it’s particularly unlikely. 

BEST PRACTICE SUGGESTION: target the Corey Seager owner in your league. And/or perhaps see if you can acquire Wander Franco (probably tough to pry him away from whomever has been holding him, but hey, you never know) in a deal involving Gleyber.

TLDR:

Hurry the hell up and sell, sell, SELL Gleyber now for whatever halfway decent value you can get for him. The time to strike wasn’t earlier this season, it wasn’t a week ago, and it isn’t tomorrow: it is today, right now. Think of what you should do with Torres as being akin to one of those janky late night informercials. That bullsh*t about how if you call in the next 10 minutes - and only these next 10 minute - you get a sponge wow or an extra battery pack for your vampire flesh light or whatever the hell it is that they’re selling; so you better act fast. Only difference being that isn’t at all true with them junk products being sold on the late night tip. Whereas with Gleyber Torres - for 2021 anyhow - that sh*t is real. Legitimately, you need to act now in selling or forever hold your peace (peace being they Punch and Judy, weak contact hitting version that, for a time indefinite, is Gleyber Torres)

• Like 1

His average exit velocity is the 2nd worst in MLB (84.7 MPH). Only David Fletcher hits the ball with less authority on average. As bad as he's been, the xStats say he's actually performed worse. I hope people sold during that brief hot streak because he's looking like a complete bust and product of the juiced ball in 2019.

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

His average exit velocity is the 2nd worst in MLB (84.7 MPH). Only David Fletcher hits the ball with less authority on average. As bad as he's been, the xStats say he's actually performed worse. I hope people sold during that brief hot streak because he's looking like a complete bust and product of the juiced ball in 2019.

He.  Needs.  Glasses.