NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gleyber Torres 2021 Outlook

Ecofolux

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

the yanks have almost certainly thought of this though and sent him to an eye doctor.  i think its standard procedure in these situations

i dont buy the "bad eyes" narrative.  tbh, the HIV idea is more plausible to me

You do realize he has worn glasses in at least one game I’ve seen this season.  Why do that if you have perfect vision?  Fashion statement?

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

You do realize he has worn glasses in at least one game I’ve seen this season.  Why do that if you have perfect vision?  Fashion statement?

To follow up on this, one point of clarification: Gleyber does wear contacts apparently and the glasses he wears are apparently non-prescription and used for “luck.”

So many questions, but my leading two are as follows:

1.  Do you think it might be time to update your prescription?

2.  If you believe the glasses confer good luck, don’t you think you could use some of that right about now?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BMcP said:

unfortunately yes.  ive seen lebron james, dwane wade do that....

if they were prescription, hes prob wearing contacts.  yanks wouldnt play him if he needed corrective lenses and wasnt wearing them

edit:  just saw your above post. ...its clearly not an eye issue

Edited by jfazz23

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

unfortunately yes.  ive seen lebron james, dwane wade do that....

if they were prescription, hes prob wearing contacts.  yanks wouldnt play him if he needed corrective lenses and wasnt wearing them

edit:  just saw your above post. ...its clearly not an eye issue

I don’t understand how that is clear from the info I provided above.  Maybe he needs an updated prescription.  Maybe he just needs a different type of contact lens - something more comfortable for him.

And you didn’t address why he wouldn’t use a device he considered to have magical good-luck properties at the present moment.

Just now, BMcP said:

I don’t understand how that is clear from the info I provided above.  Maybe he needs an updated prescription.  Maybe he just needs a different type of contact lens - something more comfortable for him.

And you didn’t address why he wouldn’t use a device he considered to have magical good-luck properties at the present moment.

first part -  im sure the yanks thought of this.  they get MRIs when they stub their toes....

2nd part - cant tell if youre jokng or not

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

first part -  im sure the yanks thought of this.  they get MRIs when they stub their toes....

2nd part - cant tell if youre jokng or not

Not joking - he’s clearly superstitious as so many players are - so why not wear the glasses after a protracted slump?

26 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Not joking - he’s clearly superstitious as so many players are - so why not wear the glasses after a protracted slump?

im not sure i can answer that bud.  id text him like usual, but i recently got a new phone and i lost his number...

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

im not sure i can answer that bud.  id text him like usual, but i recently got a new phone and i lost his number...

Ha!  Congrats on the new phone btw - but seriously, can’t a single reporter just ask him an innocent question about this, like they have before?  Has this just not occurred to anyone?  I’d love to hear what he has to say on the subject

It could be COVID-19.  Twice?  I wouldn't underestimate it being the cause this season.  

Moncada hasn't been the same.  

7 minutes ago, B&F said:

It could be COVID-19.  Twice?  I wouldn't underestimate it being the cause this season.  

He started sucking long before COVID hit the scene 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 8:58 PM, B&F said:

Tired of this excuse with Moncada, dude hit 230 and struck out over 30% for two full seasons before his 1 good year with a crazy 400+ BABIP, his profile screamed monster regression and when it happened it's because he misses a couple weeks with COVID-19... He was just flat out way over hyped and his season last year was just like the 2 he had before the breakout... This year is the 2nd best of his career by far... 

Glyber if we remember had his monster year when he feasted on Baltimore... But even so he was a 24 HR guy his rookie year... But since then his launch angle has tumbled from 19° to 13°, his barrels and hard hit has dropped from 38% to 22%, his FB rate plummeted from 42% to 34%... His max exit stay had maintained so he still has the ability...

But I suspect the issue with him is the same with what happened with Benitendi... He doesn't have an espionage program telling him what's coming on pitches. Physical ability is there, but the consistency isn't and it is much harder to barrel up balls if you don't know what the pitch is and honestly, some of these young guys probably had their growth severely stunted from such programs in place.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

I read the team was a little concerned so I would say yes

In 14 years of fantasy, I have never seen a skipper use the words "really concerned" and said player does not end up being out of action for at least 3-4 weeks

Just my experience though

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

In 14 years of fantasy, I have never seen a skipper use the words "really concerned" and said player does not end up being out of action for at least 3-4 weeks

Just my experience though

To be fair, he didn’t use the word “really” - he went with “little.”

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

To be fair, he didn’t use the word “really” - he went with “little.”

True my bad, but I am really concerned when a manager used the word concerned

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

True my bad, but I am really concerned when a manager used the word concerned

And as if on cue, off to the IL