NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Universal DH Debate Thread

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who determines "the way it was meant to be played?" It sounds like you really just mean "the way the game was played when I grew to love it, is the way it should stay forever."  Sorry to be the one to

We really need to get back to this, guys:  (Not sure what is actually happening but HADUKEN!)

You don't actually think that, do you? That seems like a very out of place line of thinking for someone who spends their free time on a fantasy baseball message board. I'm reminded of that scene

Posted Images

On 11/8/2020 at 4:12 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

YES!!!

Buster Olney of ESPN writes that the universal designated hitter being used in 2021 is a "safe bet."

The DH spot is currently set to be used only in the AL in 2021, but Olney believes that will change "unless the MLB and players' union animus erupts to the point of complete dysfunction." Olney's colleague, Jeff Passan, reported previously that owners want to keep the expanded playoffs in exchange for the universal DH sticking around, although some executives told him they think there will be a universal DH regardless of whether the MLBPA agrees to expanded playoffs or not. The consensus is that the universal DH will almost surely be part of the new CBA which will be negotiated next offseason, and it wouldn't seem to make much sense to have a one-year gap without it before it becomes a permanent fixture.

Source: ESPN.com                Nov 8, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

PS: Please keep Posty away from this post, Mods.  Don't want him to get an ulcer.  :)

Just the end of real baseball and shows the stupidity of Manfred...

So much for enjoying baseball in my retirement years, when I get there...  It was fun while it lasted...

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, posty said:

So much for enjoying baseball in my retirement years, when I get there...  It was fun while it lasted...

Maybe you should try finding a really great local pitcher and try hitting off him to recreate the thrill of watching pitchers hit. That's even better than dugout seats!

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Haha 4
20 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe you should try finding a really great local pitcher and try hitting off him to recreate the thrill of watching pitchers hit. That's even better than dugout seats!

Never again will we have the glory of watching a Bartolo Colon at bat, nor the majesty of his one home run. 

• Haha 2
On 11/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, posty said:

Yep. Maybe these fat dh's should spend more time practicing instead of eating and earn a spot on the field like the game is meant to be played. Can't stay on the field you are out of the game. Shaq can't make free throws so lets change the rules so he does not have to shoot them anymore but he can stay in the game the entire time.

1 hour ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Yep. Maybe these fat dh's should spend more time practicing instead of eating and earn a spot on the field like the game is meant to be played. Can't stay on the field you are out of the game. Shaq can't make free throws so lets change the rules so he does not have to shoot them anymore but he can stay in the game the entire time.

Hack a Shaq was pretty horrible. Not a good analogy. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

I’d argue most DH are better fielders than most pitchers are hitters, so why should we be forced to sit through their totally non-competitive ABs?

• Like 4
3 hours ago, apap414 said:

I’d argue most DH are better fielders than most pitchers are hitters, so why should we be forced to sit through their totally non-competitive ABs?

Way the game is played. Dont like watching shaq clank free throws either but has to happen. Let them play the field then.

29 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not anymore. Sorry. NBA shouldn't have invented the three pointer. Get to the basket better! You shouldn't be rewarded for not being able to get layups!

Should not be able to walk to the plate unless you play the field. Don't reward fat lazy people that cant field a ball.

Should not be able to walk to the plate unless you play the field. Don't reward fat lazy people that cant field a ball.

Not sure that many DHs are fat. Definitely don't think you can get to the majors being lazy. These are bad takes. Why reward lazy pitchers with an easy out?

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not sure that many DHs are fat. Definitely don't think you can get to the majors being lazy. These are bad takes. Why reward lazy pitchers with an easy out?

We can all say horrible take.  Why reward lazy guys that can't make a play in the field with an at bat?

On 11/12/2020 at 2:20 AM, FantasyGeek2018 said:

We can all say horrible take.  Why reward lazy guys that can't make a play in the field with an at bat?

Yeah when the Sox would have Grandal DH, I'd think, "now there's a lazy guy who can't make a play in the field."

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yeah when the Sox would have Grandal DH, I'd think, "now there's a lazy guy who can't make a play in the field."

Rays started Austin Meadows in game 6 of the World Series at DH.  My first thought was "that lazy 300 lb man should not have the right to hit base balls professionally"

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

I agree. Play catcher.

They had McCann there. 

Yes some DH's are plodding dinosaurs, but many aren't. I think the DH grants some extra lineup and defensive flexibility.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

They had McCann there. 

Yes some DH's are plodding dinosaurs, but many aren't. I think the DH grants some extra lineup and defensive flexibility.

I like the game it was meant to be played. Tough call that you want to hit for your pitcher right now yet you want him to stay and pitch another inning or two. I like that you can't have your cake and eat it to in this participation trophy world we live in now.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

I like the game it was meant to be played. Tough call that you want to hit for your pitcher right now yet you want him to stay and pitch another inning or two. I like that you can't have your cake and eat it to in this participation trophy world we live in now.

To each their own. I can see the merit in the NL-style, but its mostly bad at-bats, and with the game changing to having openers and guys rarely going more than 6, I think that tough call is becoming increasingly rare. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 1

I do too.  Hurray for the DH.  Nearly 50 years of a glorious tradition.  And yeah the very definition of "participation trophy" thing is a pitcher trying to hit and wanting it to count, haha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Let pitchers leave the game and rest a few innings then go back in the 9th to close it out. Same thing

No. It's not even close to the same thing. Also that wouldn't be good for pitchers, health-wise.  The next dumbest thing to let pitchers do healtwhise is probably bat and run the bases. Thank God they got rid of that.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3