NBC Sports Edge Forums

Conditions of Payout for Roto

If you have a game limit it's too hard imo to pay it out in full if the season ends like last year. Some wise teams will sit their fringe players early on to (A- see if how they are getting used, if they are worthy to be used etc... and B- see what stats they can chase down ala DK Metcalf chasing down Budda Baker)

I would say yolo and no max games and if the season ends it ends and pay out accorindly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I run 2 large money leagues out of NYC. $1000 per/17 teams. This year will be online.

36 games and under, 100% refund

37 games - 54 games, 50% payouts, 50% refund

55 games or more, 100% payout. 

Last season I paid out 100% of the pot. 

No way was I refunding money 60+ games through the season

• Like 1
Just now, edbuzz said:

I run 2 large money leagues out of NYC. $1000 per/17 teams. This year will be online.

Do your leagues have a games cap for  every position or no????

If no, hell yeah!!!

If yes, some teams could have been waiting for guys to get healthy, or waiting to see what categories to attack etc... and get punished while realistically they were favored to win.

• Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, Pirate said:

Regarding private leagues I was thinking of two rules to be in place for payouts:

1. 75% season completed

2. Managers must keep within a certain range (over/under) of games played.

Thoughts?

On 11/27/2020 at 6:53 AM, edbuzz said:

Hello!

I was a first time commish last season (Ugh! great timing) and unfortunately my decision did not sit well with a couple of people.

These are great guidelines which i think i will be applying to my league!

If the league ends at some point within these milestones of 50% and 75%, are you going to payout according to the rankings at the time or re-do the rankings according to scoring averages of games played by each manager for each category?

Edited by Din_Ris
spelling
1 hour ago, Din_Ris said:

Hello!

I was a first time commish last season (Ugh! great timing) and unfortunately my decision did not sit well with a couple of people.

If the league ends at some point within these milestones of 50% and 75%, are you going to payout according to the rankings at the time or re-do the rankings according to scoring averages of games played by each manager for each category?

Average could be a good option but with closer to 75% of season completed.

50% a bit small of a sample size. However, as long as everyone agrees on it beforehand then you should be good.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Din_Ris said:

My 2 cents: if you decide to payout, do so based on the rankings at the time. Part of roto is also managing your games accordingly. As for the argument that managers might play their bench heavily to get a head start in games --> there's risk to that as well; if we do finish the entire season they're going to be in trouble for playing weaker players a lot. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Average could be a good option but with closer to 75% of season completed.

50% a bit small of a sample size. However, as long as everyone agrees on it beforehand then you should be good.

This. It doesn't really matter what rules your league uses, as long as the league agrees to them beforehand. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Din_Ris said:

Hello!

When the pandemic hit and everything was shut down, I waited until the league announced their 22 team bubble, which was (guessing) late June. That's when I paid out the teams that were in the top 4 when it got shutdown. No I did not reconfigure anything. Every morning when you check the updated standings, that's it. We are all playing within the same rules. Same playing field. It's gonna suck for someone if the season gets canceled but I don't see that happening at this point. Vaccines are on their way and too much money to be lost if the season is canceled. It could be delayed but it's not getting canceled. Good luck. It ain't easy being a commissioner. I hope your guys tip you 10% of their winnings because you deserve it. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, WFK said:

My 2 cents: if you decide to payout, do so based on the rankings at the time. Part of roto is also managing your games accordingly. As for the argument that managers might play their bench heavily to get a head start in games --> there's risk to that as well; if we do finish the entire season they're going to be in trouble for playing weaker players a lot. 

Good point you make with playing weaker players just to get ahead. It could hurt you in the long run