NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ramon Laureano 2021 Outlook

2020 wasn't what I was hoping for from the Athletics OF in his 25 year old season. Luckily nothing looks overly worrisome from his numbers. Exit velo and LA were down a tiny bit, but again nothing alarming especially in a little over a third of a regular season. If anything, I think he may be a good target in keeper/dynasty leagues. His plate discipline looks excellent in comparison to his previous two years. He may have been a bit passive as his swing %'s were down across the board, but that also returned a 4% decrease in swinging strikes and almost doubled 2019's BB%.

Considering his BABIP was 72 points lower than what it was in 2019(118 points below 2018) I'd say 2020 will end up as an outlier for him, and I think his 26 year old season in 2021 will have him racing back up draft boards the following year. The potential for a 30/15 guy while carrying a high AVG and OBP is very enticing where he's going to be drafted this year. He's an elite defender which will keep him in the lineup, and the A's have a pretty solid, young lineup that he should hit at the top of. 

• Like 1
On 11/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, mavsfan23 said:

The potential for a 30/15 guy while carrying a high AVG and OBP is very enticing where he's going to be drafted this year. He's an elite defender which will keep him in the lineup, and the A's have a pretty solid, young lineup that he should hit at the top of. 

Laureano is currently going #135 around Buxton, Verdugo, Yaz, Myers, Carlson, Edman, Soler, and Mountcastle.  I like Verdugo and Edman a lot out of this bunch and would put him at the top with them.  As you noted he should lead off for Oakland which gives him a good bet for 100 runs.  The power is there and he should push 30 HRs while speed has dropped each year so let's say 15 SBs.  I'm not seeing the "high AVG/OBP" though; career .270/.343 isn't "high" really.

This said, .270/.340 - 30 - 75 - 100 - 15 is a great line at #135 and I think he'll prove a very good buy on draft day as it stands.

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

Any word on him for us weekly leaguers??

Losing a valuable utilityman like Pinder would be another blow to an A’s lineup that is already missing some key names, though manager Bob Melvin suggested Ramon Laureano could potentially be back in action on Monday.  Laureano “feels a lot better today…I think we’re getting a little bit closer with him,” Melvin told MLB.com’s Martin Gallegos and other reporters.  

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/04/al-injury-notes-pinder-laureano-brantley-dozier-britton.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously he won’t keep up this pace but it’s a good sign that they’re giving him the green light on the base paths so far. He could out produce his projected sb numbers by quite a bit if they keep letting him run. 

Dude prolly feels like he gotta carry that offense that's more like a$$ than A's.

That team headed for 90+ losses, assuming a full season. A few good players there, but plenty of who cares.

10 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

We are at 8 SBs with 2 weeks into the season. This dude has always had the speed. Stealing at a Mondesi like rate but a better hitter. Way early, but are we in for a 5X5 fantasy MVP season?

he's on pace for 100+ bags

Give him credit. He's trying hard to help that lousy team win.

He said he would run more during the spring, and it's great to see he meant it. I didn't expect THIS much though.

Hey all's good. I would be surprised if he cracked 30 though, even with the fast start. If he got above 20 I would be ecstatic.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

He won't keep this pace up once opposing teams start figuring out what he's doing. Teams will start to contain him.  

I agree he's unlikely to maintain his pace for 144 stolen bases this year. I don't think anyone disagrees with this take. What will he slow down to is the million dollar question.

• Haha 1