NBC Sports Edge Forums

Robert Covington 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please never use the word RoCoanity again. Thank you.

Our Lord will be traveling to Portland of Oregon. Assuming the Lord’s convoy does not encounter any marauders or perilous weather, the Lord should arrive in a fortnight.      

Our Lord in Portland, hallowed by your game. Your 3/3/3 games will come, your worship will be in punt assist squads as it is in the Hall of Stocks. Give us Rest of Season our matchup wins, and f

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, MNDOGG said:

Career averages  9 NBA SEASONS

411 GP/30MPG ( 12,330 NBA Mins)   2.3 3pm,  12.5 PPG, 5.7RBS, 1.5 asts, 1.6stls,0.9 blks,  40%FG, 35% 3pFG, 81 FT

2021                15 games/ 30 MPG  (450 mins)        1.5 3pm, 6.5 PPG, 5.5 RBS, 1.7ast, 1.4stls, 0.6 blks,    30%FG, 27.8%,  90% FT

Perspective...  unless you think he is going to suddenly shoot this poorly all year he is a hold in any deep league.. 12+ team

Well he has shot poorly for 15 games of a 72 game season with both a healthy squad and a squad without McCollum and Nurkic.

I mean I get his point, and while the situation with the new team isn't directly analogous to prior stops the fact is these are mostly open looks he's getting.  An open three is an open three and has nothing to do with the teammates around him.  This is if we're just talking about shooting percentage.  So his point is he's shooting so much worse than his average that there's room for positive regression.

Opportunity is another thing, but missing wide open threes isn't a function of the team.  Unless you want to argue that he doesn't feel as involved so he doesn't work on his shot as much.  That would be another thing.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

I mean I get his point, and while the situation with the new team isn't directly analogous to prior stops the fact is these are mostly open looks he's getting.  An open three is an open three and has nothing to do with the teammates around him.  This is if we're just talking about shooting percentage.  So his point is he's shooting so much worse than his average that there's room for positive regression.

Opportunity is another thing, but missing wide open threes isn't a function of the team.  Unless you want to argue that he doesn't feel as involved so he doesn't work on his shot as much.  That would be another thing.

exactly ... minutes and opportunity are the same.. he's just fitting in still.. hes flat out shooting horribly .. wont last.. we have 80% of the season left..

41 minutes ago, KingDURANTULA said:

Umm his career averages are kind of irrelevant, he's in a new unique situation w/ Portland and on all accounts so far it does not seem like he's a great fit. 

i would say so far hes still trying to fit in,.  i hear ya its a gamble.. but this guy didnt suddenly forget how to play basketball.  Conley last year sucked for most of the season. .turned it on late and is now balling again .. same thing going on here but RoCo isnt a PG with the ball in his hands so i don;t feel he will be out of sorts all year like Conley.. to each their own.. im in a 14 teamer and holding.. 10 teams or less id cut bait but if you drop him in deeper leagues you will regret it..

• Like 1

i am keeping him even in the shallower leagues i'm in (10 teams or less), just to see if can really suck so much the entire season.

seriously.. that would be damn impressive (in a weird way.. but still)

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Makes sense, he's been playing like he has a concussion all season

At least it's a real injury unlike the "thigh contusion" or "bruised calf" BS the NBA is trying to justify these days as a reason for players to sit. 

Can't lie, I got excited when I saw the out designation because I mistakenly was thinking I could IL him.  A predetermined call for missing three or more games would've been nice so I could replace him for awhile and forget about him without actually dropping him.  Now we're in no man's land if he misses two or three games and comes back.  Meh.

11 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Just put the IL designation on him so I can move on and leave him there rest if season.

Haha exactly my thoughts.

14 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

image.png.165197e1fb466f62cd31ac817d50497d.png

In the 2016-2017 season, through the first 18 games, here are his numbers. They are eerily similar to our current stretch. Notice the FG%, .308 vs. .303. Notice the low blocks. 

He finished that season ranked #37 overall. After the first 18 games, he was #25 overall.

He did not forget how to play basketball this year, and he is 30 years old. There is no pickup with his upside, and if he was dropped in your league, you should pick him up.

next level analysis! nice work..  point is hes too valuable to drop in competitive deeper leagues..

1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

In the 2016-2017 season, through the first 18 games, here are his numbers. They are eerily similar to our current stretch. Notice the FG%, .308 vs. .303. Notice the low blocks. 

He finished that season ranked #37 overall. After the first 18 games, he was #25 overall.

He did not forget how to play basketball this year, and he is 30 years old. There is no pickup with his upside, and if he was dropped in your league, you should pick him up.

I remember this team!

The 28-54 76ers where he was getting 31mpg on a sorry team with a rookie Joel Embiid and Nik Staukas was starting.

8 hours ago, IDatDude said:

Who’d you trade him for. Legit curious to see what his market value is nowadays 

I've traded him plus Tyler Herro for Kelly Oubre. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Interesting for sure but you can't always trust just the box score. He does not pass the "eye" test. He looks hesitant in this system, hangs out at the 3pt line, doesn't even crash the boards. 

In that 16'-17' season his Usage % was close to 20. Last year for Houston it was 15% and it is currently 12% with Portland. Sure he didn't forget how to play, but he is not fitting in or being utilized well in Portland which is getting compounded even more with his streaky shooting.

In terms of stocks Covington is an elite off-the ball defender and was most effective when he rotated off bigs in PnR plays with the Rockets. This led to all the stocks based on timing and opportunity vs any elite athleticism. Portland just has him more on-ball with where he isn't as strong and can get exposed. If what you need is 3PT and STLs with the hit on FG% then keep him but right now he's got minimal value in a 10T or less roster and should be on a short leash in 12T+ especially if he isn't able to produce in this window with CJ and Nurc out. 

I will now accept my lashes for the ongoing blasphemy!

• Like 3

just traded for him the other day. have bought low on covington in exact times like this before on multiple occasions and its helped me win my fantasy league.

i can already see it now, he comes back from this concussion and some of you make jokes about how it knocked his abilities back into him or some ****

lfg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1