NBC Sports Edge Forums

Damian Lillard 2020-2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Take it and run w t f 

Why man ??

Is Dame this season really a better fantasy player ?

I don't think so

Edited by Stefan
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Top 25? He has been a 1st rounder for three straight seasons...

I had Tatum and traded him for Lillard. Biggest trade in my killer league this season. Then I come to this thread, and what do I see? The same debate. I'll give you my logic. Both seem about even

He had couple bad shooting games so far, every shooter goes through with it. It's not as bad as you guys think, if he makes average of 1 more shot that 41% goes to 44% which is his career average. All

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Stefan said:

Why man ??

I don't think so

Exactly, I agree dame is a very valuable asset and I hate to bring rankings into it but Tatum is 2 on yahoo and dame is 41, aside from high points and more ft I just don’t see what could improve so much in dames game this year that lifts him higher than Tatum. Unless it’s just expectation of regression for Tatum.

18 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Why man ??

I don't think so

Dame will push first round value. Points, threes, assists, solid %'s 

15 minutes ago, Suplexah said:

Exactly, I agree dame is a very valuable asset and I hate to bring rankings into it but Tatum is 2 on yahoo and dame is 41, aside from high points and more ft I just don’t see what could improve so much in dames game this year that lifts him higher than Tatum. Unless it’s just expectation of regression for Tatum.

LOL not even 10 games and you want to drop rankings? 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Dame will push first round value. Points, threes, assists, solid %'s 

Tatum will also 

2plus stocks 7plus reb solid % 25plus points and prolly around 3 3s a game. 1st round in my book... Oh yeah and less TO then Dame

edit both players are fine... But I prefer Tatum. Idk... heS soo sooo much fun owning. 

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Why man ??

I don't think so

I mean if you looked at the pre draft rankings: Lillard was around 6-9 and Tatum was 9-12. So they are about even, and through 8 games, Tatum has held up to his end of the bargain while Lillard has not. Can Lillard improve yes, Lillard supposed to be elite threes, great FG% and Assists. Problem is, the Blazers have changed their offense around so Lillard is not producing as we thought as we already knew Tatum was the star of that team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, DonutGiveUp said:

LOL not even 10 games and you want to drop rankings? 

I literally prefaced it with that statement. The point in dropping them was that dame isn’t having a bad season, it’s a bit down but still there is a huge gap. No I don’t think it finishes this way but right now Tatum is doing mostly what dame is doing and adding stocks. I’m literally looking for a reason to do this deal bc everyone is telling me it’s Lillard easy but I can’t pull the trigger.

2 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I mean if you looked at the pre draft rankings: Lillard was around 6-9 and Tatum was 9-12. So they are about even, and through 8 games, Tatum has held up to his end of the bargain while Lillard has not. Can Lillard improve yes, Lillard supposed to be elite threes, great FG% and Assists. Problem is, the Blazers have changed their offense around so Lillard is not producing as we thought as we already knew Tatum was the star of that team.

Yeah you nailed what ive been trying to say. Thank you sir.

5 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Will Lillard improve yes! I still believe he will finish Top 25. However, will he finish higher than Tatum, I doubt that barring injury.

random..............

The dude is pulling up from the freakin logo on a nightly basis.

Enjoy him guys, Lillard is a bonafide stud. I think he can and will, kick it up a notch.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Will Lillard improve yes! I still believe he will finish Top 25. However, will he finish higher than Tatum, I doubt that barring injury.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Suplexah said:

I literally prefaced it with that statement. The point in dropping them was that dame isn’t having a bad season, it’s a bit down but still there is a huge gap. No I don’t think it finishes this way but right now Tatum is doing mostly what dame is doing and adding stocks. I’m literally looking for a reason to do this deal bc everyone is telling me it’s Lillard easy but I can’t pull the trigger.

Lillard is a first round stud, Tatum on fire right now but Kemba will be back soon so his usage will dip but you do you

Edited by DonutGiveUp
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Lillard is a first round stud, Tatum on fire right now but Kemba will be back soon so his usage will dip but you do you

Tatum's fine with or without Kemba. He's A1 and A2 option. 

If someone takes a hit when Walker returns it'll be Brown.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, RunCMC said:

The dude is pulling up from the freakin logo on a nightly basis.

Enjoy him guys, Lillard is a bonafide stud. I think he can and will, kick it up a notch.

This year?  I haven't seen much of it at all.  You got me thinking back to last year when he was dropping 40 and 50 like it was nothing, but it does not feel the same at all this year.  Don't know what the deal is but Lillard now < Lillard last year.  He'll still have some big games, but I feel like he's on a slight decline, and if they keep losing games it only gets worse as morale goes down.

Maybe looking too far into it, but the feeling of owning Lillard this year is not even close to the feeling of owning him last year.  He's still a BEAST, but last year he was out of this world.

Edit: I don't think I've seen him hit from the logo a single time this year now that I think about it, and I've watched a lot of the games, lol.

Edited by CharlesCC2
1 hour ago, DezedandConfused said:

Jesus you guys are very specific on here. He can finish between 1 and 25. 

He can finish 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25. So what I said was correct.

If we just stated (yes we know its 8 games into the season) and we also stated that they are trying to give Nurkic the ball and running the offense through McCollum more, does that not maybe change his rankings a bit?

24 minutes ago, CharlesCC2 said:

This year?  I haven't seen much of it at all.  You got me thinking back to last year when he was dropping 40 and 50 like it was nothing, but it does not feel the same at all this year.  Don't know what the deal is but Lillard now < Lillard last year.  He'll still have some big games, but I feel like he's on a slight decline, and if they keep losing games it only gets worse as morale goes down.

Maybe looking too far into it, but the feeling of owning Lillard this year is not even close to the feeling of owning him last year.  He's still a BEAST, but last year he was out of this world.

Edit: I don't think I've seen him hit from the logo a single time this year now that I think about it, and I've watched a lot of the games, lol.

He's not on a decline. Remember, the Blazers were in danger of missing the playoffs last season so Lillard had to will his team into making it. If not for the pandemic, the Pelicans would have made it last season was the narrative going into the bubble because they had one of the easiest ROS schedule before it compared to playing against playoff hopefuls. They only made it in the bubble because Nurkic came back looking strong and even then they had to do a play in against the Grizzlies.

Watching the Blazers this season, their offense looks lethargic and stagnant if their defense isn't clicking. It's like watching Jazz clank corner 3s out of Mitchell kickouts. It's like their heart isn't in it or they are tired of the same old routine.

14 minutes ago, OxyBubbleMan said:

He's not on a decline. Remember, the Blazers were in danger of missing the playoffs last season so Lillard had to will his team into making it. If not for the pandemic, the Pelicans would have made it last season was the narrative going into the bubble because they had one of the easiest ROS schedule before it compared to playing against playoff hopefuls. They only made it in the bubble because Nurkic came back looking strong and even then they had to do a play in against the Grizzlies.

Watching the Blazers this season, their offense looks lethargic and stagnant if their defense isn't clicking. It's like watching Jazz clank corner 3s out of Mitchell kickouts. It's like their heart isn't in it or they are tired of the same old routine.

We have no idea if he's in decline.  I say that it feels like he is because his play has literally declined this season.  He is shooting miserably so far.  It's still extremely early, so to say he is declining in overall skill might've been hyperbolic, but that is just the feel I get when watching him.  He is not shooting as well as he did last year, and actually looking at his stats he's under 42%, which is horrible.  Aside from that though, the team just isn't clicking yet, and I'm curious as to whether this iteration of the Blazers is going to work at all.  I feel like they might eventually realize that the team as currently constructed isn't going very far, and this might be the year it all falls apart and they break it up.

Again I don't know for sure if he's in decline, but that's the feel I get watching him.  The iso-ball offense that he and McCollum play works well when they're hitting shots at an extremely high clip or teammates hit their open shots once they suck the defense in, and right now Dame is not hitting shot as effectively as he usually does, and Covington is not hitting shots when they're hitting him open.  Nurkic supposedly being like 15 pounds overweight doesn't help things.

I guess we'll see.  Call it reactionary, but that's all I can do at this time, react to what I'm seeing right now.

He had couple bad shooting games so far, every shooter goes through with it. It's not as bad as you guys think, if he makes average of 1 more shot that 41% goes to 44% which is his career average. All his other numbers are in line of previous seasons, his steals will go back to 1 a game. If Lillard is  declining, is Nurk dead?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, CharlesCC2 said:

Really I could’ve sworn I seen highlights of him hitting multiple logo bombs.

Forgot if it was on NBA TV or a TNT segment.  I guess it wasn’t from this year than ?

Strange they were showing that honestly.

I had him last year, but not this campaign.

But my honest take, he’s not playing his best ball right now, nor are the Blazers.

Things can turn around for the better.

I was drafting tail end in all my drafts this year, and was super bummed missing out in all leagues.

Maybe a blessing in disguise lol.

The team make up is a bit different as well, some time needed to gel together, I dunno .

55 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

He had couple bad shooting games so far, every shooter goes through with it. It's not as bad as you guys think, if he makes average of 1 more shot that 41% goes to 44% which is his career average. All his other numbers are in line of previous seasons, his steals will go back to 1 a game. If Lillard is  declining, is Nurk dead?

Whatever Nurk is doing is something completely different, more like going in reverse with his skills and devolving into pre-NBA levels.  Benjamin Buttoning at the NBA level.  Crazy how he went from what he was doing in the bubble to looking like he should be a backup.  Portland fans keep making a point of him being way out of shape and overweight, so maybe he works himself back into form.

Edit: (there is a lot of hyperbole here so feel free to ignore lol)

@RunCMC I believe you, I saw that exact same clip I believe.  As far as I know he hasn't done any Logo Lillard-ing yet this year.  Hopefully soon to come.

All I know is this man is one of the hardest workers in the NBA from all accounts.  He wasn't exactly slacking in the offseason from a video somebody linked in this thread.  Hopefully he gets it together and his teammates begin to gel more.  What I witnessed from Lillard mid to late last year was some all time great level stuff.  I know its in him, even if there's the slightest amount of decline (as I'm perceiving, who knows the reality), he should still be capable of transcending to a level far higher than he's playing at right now.

Edited by CharlesCC2
  • Like 1

I had Tatum and traded him for Lillard. Biggest trade in my killer league this season. Then I come to this thread, and what do I see? The same debate.

I'll give you my logic. Both seem about evenly ranked, though Tatum has the edge now after these massive games with Teague out.

But Lillard finished last season #3 overall. He is a perennial 3-5 ranked guy. He is not old or hurt. And CJ ALWAYS fades. Portland is losing, and will turn it around. And when they do, order will be restored. So Lillard's potential ending rank is in the range of 3-9, while Tatum is in the range of 8-20, assuming no freaky weird things. It's not a given that Tatum will rise to the top ranks, especially with Brown becoming another alpha dog there.

Just my view.  

• Like 4