Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Wiseman 2020-2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

The way I see it, he's just getting overwhelmed by NBA talent. Basically went from barely playing in College to this level means his fundamentals like rebounding is very behind. Then his wrist injury derailed his learning even more. 

Maybe he can make a turn around after the ASB. He was kinda on a cold streak so a break is welcomed. 

 

The story happens over and over, especially with bigs. The game moves too fast for them. 

BUT, then the game slows down. It takes reps. There's nothing more to say until it starts to happen. 

You can do what you want. I think he has upside and I'm holding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Clippers fan is a sign of bad judgment. So yes. 

14 and 4 with 2 blocks and 2 threes at halftime 🤡

If this is how butthurt the haters are after one game, it's gonna be a long season for you guys, James going to be eating non stop

Heh, only plays the 12 minutes of garbage time as the Dubs get blown out by the Clips (likely as punishment for missing that test yesterday).  Still manages to get the only positive +/-, at +10, when most everyone else on their team, esp the starters, were embarrassed.  I'll take 14/7/1 on good FG%.  Would've been nice if he had made his FTs or not turned over the ball (or blocked a shot), but it's better than him not playing, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MWon said:

Heh, only plays the 12 minutes of garbage time as the Dubs get blown out by the Clips (likely as punishment for missing that test yesterday).  Still manages to get the only positive +/-, at +10, when most everyone else on their team, esp the starters, were embarrassed.  I'll take 14/7/1 on good FG%.  Would've been nice if he had made his FTs or not turned over the ball (or blocked a shot), but it's better than him not playing, I guess.

This guy is so frustrating! So much upside (except for his awful FT%). When I saw he wasn't playing at all through 3 quarters I wanted to drop to activate Devonte from my IL. Mostly because I'm down in the standings in one of my leagues fighting for a playoff spot and just need games played but also because this guys free throws are so bad on enough volume that it really hurts. Got to hold on now though for a bit I guess :( to see if Kerr follows through on giving him more minutes. Just wish I was in a better position in my league to be patient.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty decent line today - no FT attempted, high FG%, 16/4/1.  And against Gobert and the defensive-minded Jazz.  

Watching the game, his defense was pretty poor, but to be fair, his teammates were absolutely awful on defense as well.  He needs to learn how to guard in space and let his huge reach play more of a factor.  Right now, guards get switched onto him and blow by him, or pump fake him into a foul.  He also doesn't have much of a post-up game, mostly relying on putbacks, easy passes into point-blank shots from his teammates, or the occasional jumper.  I'll live with the 4 boards tonight (esp in only 23 minutes) given that most of his work was simply to box out Gobert (and his 28 rebounds). NGL though, that one block excited me, since he rarely blocks shots over the last few weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MWon said:

Pretty decent line today - no FT attempted, high FG%, 16/4/1.  And against Gobert and the defensive-minded Jazz.  

Watching the game, his defense was pretty poor, but to be fair, his teammates were absolutely awful on defense as well.  He needs to learn how to guard in space and let his huge reach play more of a factor.  Right now, guards get switched onto him and blow by him, or pump fake him into a foul.  He also doesn't have much of a post-up game, mostly relying on putbacks, easy passes into point-blank shots from his teammates, or the occasional jumper.  I'll live with the 4 boards tonight (esp in only 23 minutes) given that most of his work was simply to box out Gobert (and his 28 rebounds). NGL though, that one block excited me, since he rarely blocks shots over the last few weeks.

yup, watched as well. you can tell he's a lot more focused the past two games, his IQ and positioning just isn't there on both ends of the floor yet. but he's definitely super talented and has a ton of potential. hopefully the mental aspect of the game comes to him soon

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The Dubs realizing this year is gonna be tough to win. Still trying but the reality is they are just in the play in playoff position. 

Wiseman really need the reps, he has some games where he looked like he was lost and now he looks better. I think the jumpshooting and playmaker will need a whole off-season to develop, he needs more experience playing ball in general.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is as much a developmental year as it is a push for the playoffs. Steve Kerr made that known on his recent Ringer interview.


They're middling rn, and if this falls off the rails I wouldn't be surprised to see Curry/Draymond rest days. I'd say Wiseman's going to get an increase workload as the season progresses 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, indigorivers said:

 I wouldn't be surprised to see Curry/Draymond rest days.

I doubt this.  With the play-in tournament this year only requiring a 10 seed, I can only see Curry/Dray rested if the Warriors go on like a 2-13 streak and are completely out of it, which doesn't seem likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s over 7 feet and can barely rebound. Hopefully next year he can add some weight and strength because current NBA bigs have manhandled him at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1/5, 5 TOs, 0 blocks tonight.  I think LaMelo is putting even more distance ahead over Wiseman in the ROY race, despite not even playing lol.  This is one of those nights where, if you own him, you wanna forget he exists, and if you're playing against him, you're just laughing at your opponent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2021 at 5:37 PM, alexstr said:

I doubt this.  With the play-in tournament this year only requiring a 10 seed, I can only see Curry/Dray rested if the Warriors go on like a 2-13 streak and are completely out of it, which doesn't seem likely.

I disagree, they are already showing signs of dropping out of it. Curry and Green look injured and don't look like they can play long stretches of games this season. And even if they making it through the play in tournament, it's clear that this team cannot make it past the first round.  

The only thing that might save them is that they play tanking teams next few weeks. The Kings play tanking teams too however.

It's probably not until the next years that GSW can make some noise in the West, with a healthy Klay and a possibility of getting a 4-5th pick (which is a good wing player in this upcoming draft). They need someone like Wiseman to be getting reps now so they can see how to shape him this offseason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

I disagree, they are already showing signs of dropping out of it. Curry and Green look injured and don't look like they can play long stretches of games this season. And even if they making it through the play in tournament, it's clear that this team cannot make it past the first round.  

The only thing that might save them is that they play tanking teams next few weeks. The Kings play tanking teams too however.

It's probably not until the next years that GSW can make some noise in the West, with a healthy Klay and a possibility of getting a 4-5th pick (which is a good wing player in this upcoming draft). They need someone like Wiseman to be getting reps now so they can see how to shape him this offseason. 

I mean if they are mathematically eliminated then yeah I agree, they'll sit some guys.  But I can't see the team being in the playoff picture and calling it quits on the year.  The FO/coaching staff has been talking about how they want to win this year, which is why they got Oubre, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen enough lol. I drafted him with my 8th round pick, hoping to keep him in this keeper league. He has too many holes in this game for fantasy, no assist, no steal, low FT%. This is not what I was expected before the season. I was expecting close to a 3 a game and decent FT with good block rate. 

Dropped.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rebol2n said:

I have seen enough lol. I drafted him with my 8th round pick, hoping to keep him in this keeper league. He has too many holes in this game for fantasy, no assist, no steal, low FT%. This is not what I was expected before the season. I was expecting close to a 3 a game and decent FT with good block rate. 

Dropped.

In a keeper league?

You just dropped a 20-year-old, #2 overall pick, starting Center, who went 20/10/3 blocks in his 3 games in college, who just 1 game ago had 4 blocks, in a KEEPER LEAGUE.

Cool.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eltoro said:

Breakout game?

Well, it shows he has a pulse.

But until the Dubs decide they can close games with him, rather than Looney, he will be hit or miss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it, I sorta wanted him to suck so I'd have a reason to finally get rid of him and use his spot to stream (he only has 2 more games this week).  I guess he still exists, but yeah, relying on him is probably not wise.

On 4/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, hornrimmed_rambis said:

In a keeper league?

You just dropped a 20-year-old, #2 overall pick, starting Center, who went 20/10/3 blocks in his 3 games in college, who just 1 game ago had 4 blocks, in a KEEPER LEAGUE.

Cool.

LOL, someone dropped a #2 pick in a keeper?  That's ... gutsy.

Wiseman might be pretty awful now, but he at least provides the Dubs with a serviceable big and a backup plan for next year.  Kerr, the FO, and the players have all stated how important he is to their long-term plans. He looks raw as heck, but this is a decision you regret 3-4 years from now in a keeper.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...