NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Wiseman 2020-2021 Outlook

He had a solid debut. He barely played any college ball, had no summer league and no pre-season. His first competitive basketball in like a year, against tougher level of competition. It will only get better as the season goes on. 

Edited by Dominator83
Added text
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Clippers fan is a sign of bad judgment. So yes. 

14 and 4 with 2 blocks and 2 threes at halftime 🤡

If this is how butthurt the haters are after one game, it's gonna be a long season for you guys, James going to be eating non stop

12 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Bro aren’t you a clippers fan? You guys should never come out from hiding after the playoff choke lol. Wiseman is a rookie, with no preseason and started we’ll let it be 

Damn so I can’t have a normal discussion because I’m a Clippers fan? Wow. The forums is starting off great it seems.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

It’s a bunch of dudes having a jerk session for a rookie center who played well in a blowout against the Nets bench. Pretty much another preseason game.

I think this is a poor take.... the time of the game doesn’t really matter for a jump shot.

if the 76ers are down 50 to the nets Ben Simmons isn’t going to start raining 3’s. A jump shoot is a fundamental that translates at all times of the game. Close game or blow out. 

wiseman proved that his jumpshot is “solid” at a minimum which is great for him considering his team doesn’t really have any sure fire scorers outside of steph (Wiggins is mega inconsistent) which bodes well for us wiseman owners.

One game victory laps are ridiculous, but I have to say I was impressed. I made a conscious choice to not pick any rookies this year (too much other talent this year, and no rookie stood out as must have to me), but I think this dude is going to be really good right away. Even being just one game, sometimes you can just tell with certain guys.

I wish he would have played preseason cause maybe then I would have changed my stance and targeted him. Oh well.

Would be worried about the FT% tho.

I'm fine with being on #teamcirclejerk.

He had a solid performance last night but there were at least 3-4 more rebounds he could have had if he would have made on ounce of effort on them.  He was also letting smaller guys box him out.  Being a rookie in his first game so it's understandable.  Once he picks up some on of the little nuances he hasn't been able to work out on given his experience, we could be looking at a double double monster.  His length was disruptive altering a few shots even though they were made.  The blocks will come aplenty soon enough.

Edited by I like baseball
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Wasn't he just feasting coz of the garbage time? I didn't watch the game but 17 shot attempts for game 1 is a good sign for the kid. It shows the upper management believes in him to make those.

He was def getting a garbage time special boost.

Be to counter this point: he also never played any pre season games or anything since college, recently got covid so this prob impacted his training/team training camp, they didn’t have draymond tonight as defensive anchor and playmaker for the team.

Had a lot going against him but despite that still had a decent showing. I’m really curious what this kid can do in about 2-3 weeks after fully getting acclimated. Not gonna say he’s gonna be the rookie savior on your squads, but this first game looks extremely promising. I did not expect this shooting range this early. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Quazza said:

Something to think about - That was his 4th game of basketball since highschool 

Not just that i dont see why its relevant he played well in garbage time or not, he was playing professional players lol and man is confident to fire away

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Not just that i dont see why its relevant he played well in garbage time or not

I mean, it's definitely relevant. I'm not a Wiseman hater at all, he looked solid, but curious to see how he looks getting his shot against a better defense like the Bucks on Friday. Hoping he looks a little more aggressive as he gets comfortable. On one of those dunk attempts it looked like he was politely asking the ball to go into the rim.

10 hours ago, Walk with me said:

I think this is a poor take.... the time of the game doesn’t really matter for a jump shot.

if the 76ers are down 50 to the nets Ben Simmons isn’t going to start raining 3’s. A jump shoot is a fundamental that translates at all times of the game. Close game or blow out. 

wiseman proved that his jumpshot is “solid” at a minimum which is great for him considering his team doesn’t really have any sure fire scorers outside of steph (Wiggins is mega inconsistent) which bodes well for us wiseman owners.

Back in the day dwight was shooting 80% ft every practice. Hmmm. 

14 minutes ago, Walk with me said:

This is also a poor take.... 

Let’s compare a guy who proved he could shoot in the middle of a game to a guy practicing.... great comparison....

Have a cup of joe bro. Was referring to your brilliant acumen of grouping every player shooting the same whether it’s crunch time or not. 

• Haha 1

For fantasy purposes he looked great and I think he's going to be a really good offensive player.

He struggled mightily on defense and on the boards. Every rebound he got bounced right to him and because he's so big were easy to grab. He didn't box out and can't play the pick and roll to save his life. Now I'm going to catch myself and say this is a rookie who barely played college. If he improves on those two aspects of his game he's going to be an all star because the raw talent was on display last night offensively.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Pirate said:

Have a cup of joe bro. Was referring to your brilliant acumen of grouping every player shooting the same whether it’s crunch time or not. 

I wasn’t saying anything about “crunch time”

ben Simmons jump shot sucks at any section of the game 

joel embiid jump shot is solid at any section of the game 

steph curry jump shot is amazing at any section of the game

what’s so hard to follow about this concept? 

if wisemans jumper is looking mechanically sound and showing a soft touch during a blow out. I highly doubt that his form/touch will suddenly look awful during the first quarter of it the score was 62-62.

where do you even bring up practice or crunch time? The bad takes keep going I guess....

im not saying anything about crunch time

im not saying he’s the best shooter of all time

im not saying he’s clutch

im saying for a 7ft (or taller) rookie. Him showing the ability to face up and nail a knock down jumper should be steady whether up 10 or down 20. That’s something for wiseman owners to be excited about, especially on a team that will probably be starved for consistent offense. Not sure why wiseman has so many haters, really weird.

Edited by Walk with me
  • tonycpsu changed the title to James Wiseman 2020-2021 Outlook