NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Wiseman 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Clippers fan is a sign of bad judgment. So yes. 

14 and 4 with 2 blocks and 2 threes at halftime 🤡

If this is how butthurt the haters are after one game, it's gonna be a long season for you guys, James going to be eating non stop

"Steve Kerr has the rookie on a short leash, and the head coach also has some odd infatuation with Kevon Looney."

As a Dubs fan, I can wholeheartedly say I concur.  Looney looks so pitiful out there on the court sometimes.  He takes up space on offense since he doesn't shoot, and his matchup usually just ignores him to focus on double-teaming Curry. That's actually preferred since there are a few times where he's cut to the rim in the path of Curry or something, basically triple-teaming Curry.  On defense, he's too slow to guard opposing 4s, and too short to guard opposing 5s.  I dunno ... Maybe Kerr feels sorry for Looney getting hurt all the time, or maybe he just has a thing for undersized players at their positions given he was one too.

Kerr added that he may "start to use Wiseman in different ways soon."

Yeah, as a friggin bench warmer.  

I dunno; you got a #2 pick who can shoot, plays hard and aggressive, protects the rim, and seems to have some good chemistry with Curry.  I can't see why they don't let him play more, unless it's to protect him from getting burnt out over the long season.  But IMHO, it's good experience for him, since if they make the playoffs, the Warriors are sure as heck not gonna be good when they're running Looney for 25 minutes against Gobert/Jokic/AD/Embiid (and offensively, it'll be just as bad).  Wiseman needs just 25 minutes or so to reach a nice statline, and I doubt 25 mpg burns out a young kid, even if he hasn't played much college ball.  Heck, the Kings are running Haliburton wild and Lamelo's going crazy with his minutes ... I have no idea what Kerr's doing.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MWon said:

"Steve Kerr has the rookie on a short leash, and the head coach also has some odd infatuation with Kevon Looney."

As a Dubs fan, I can wholeheartedly say I concur.  Looney looks so pitiful out there on the court sometimes.  He takes up space on offense since he doesn't shoot, and his matchup usually just ignores him to focus on double-teaming Curry. That's actually preferred since there are a few times where he's cut to the rim in the path of Curry or something, basically triple-teaming Curry.  On defense, he's too slow to guard opposing 4s, and too short to guard opposing 5s.  I dunno ... Maybe Kerr feels sorry for Looney getting hurt all the time, or maybe he just has a thing for undersized players at their positions given he was one too.

Kerr added that he may "start to use Wiseman in different ways soon."

Yeah, as a friggin bench warmer.  

I dunno; you got a #2 pick who can shoot, plays hard and aggressive, protects the rim, and seems to have some good chemistry with Curry.  I can't see why they don't let him play more, unless it's to protect him from getting burnt out over the long season.  But IMHO, it's good experience for him, since if they make the playoffs, the Warriors are sure as heck not gonna be good when they're running Looney for 25 minutes against Gobert/Jokic/AD/Embiid (and offensively, it'll be just as bad).  Wiseman needs just 25 minutes or so to reach a nice statline, and I doubt 25 mpg burns out a young kid, even if he hasn't played much college ball.  Heck, the Kings are running Haliburton wild and Lamelo's going crazy with his minutes ... I have no idea what Kerr's doing.  

Looney only played 14 mins though ?

I think whats actually eating into his time (besides quick fouls ) is Paschall now playing small ball 5. Even though he only played 20 mins himself, thats now 20 less mins at the 5, rather than the 4

Paschall has looked decent playing the small ball 5 too.  He's a blackhole and isn't great on D but he fights hard for boards and can keep the scoreboard ticking over which is probably why he gets those small ball 5 mins.

Warriors can go small with 2 different lineups: Paschall at C or Draymond.  Wiseman is probably capped at 20ish mins per game for the foreseeable future.

40 minutes ago, Quazza said:

Looney only played 14 mins though ?

I think whats actually eating into his time (besides quick fouls ) is Paschall now playing small ball 5. Even though he only played 20 mins himself, thats now 20 less mins at the 5, rather than the 4

Haha, if I'm being honest, I keep saying to myself, "Looney should get about 5 minutes a night. If that."

And yeah, Paschall does look pretty decent at the 5 for stretches.  But I dunno how effective he and Dray are gonna be playing super small ball against other teams in the league.  Teams are starting to transition out of small ball because the Dubs are getting too predictable (and of course, you actually need shooters to play some semblance of small ball).  What I'm seeing from teams who play the Dubs is that they know Oubre and Wiggins can't shoot, so they're packing the paint against them and doubling Curry. They're able to use their bigs knowing that the Dubs can't fast break properly since their own bigs can hit the boards on offense, and oftentimes the only way for the Dubs to actually get defensive boards is to gang-rebound, which means they're out of position to start a fast break (as long as the other teams' guards stay back).

My argument for Wiseman to play more is to solve that problem.  He's big enough to rebound, a good shot blocker to protect the rim, and a decent enough shooter that teams will eventually need to guard him from deep.  The Dubs don't really have anyone like Wiseman otherwise.  What they do have is a slew of 6'6-6'7 forwards who need to play PF/C at times and yet none of them can shoot.  I'm honestly curious why teams don't zone against the Dubs, let their big stay around the paint, and let anyone but Curry shoot.

1 hour ago, MWon said:

Haha, if I'm being honest, I keep saying to myself, "Looney should get about 5 minutes a night. If that."

And yeah, Paschall does look pretty decent at the 5 for stretches.  But I dunno how effective he and Dray are gonna be playing super small ball against other teams in the league.  Teams are starting to transition out of small ball because the Dubs are getting too predictable (and of course, you actually need shooters to play some semblance of small ball).  What I'm seeing from teams who play the Dubs is that they know Oubre and Wiggins can't shoot, so they're packing the paint against them and doubling Curry. They're able to use their bigs knowing that the Dubs can't fast break properly since their own bigs can hit the boards on offense, and oftentimes the only way for the Dubs to actually get defensive boards is to gang-rebound, which means they're out of position to start a fast break (as long as the other teams' guards stay back).

My argument for Wiseman to play more is to solve that problem.  He's big enough to rebound, a good shot blocker to protect the rim, and a decent enough shooter that teams will eventually need to guard him from deep.  The Dubs don't really have anyone like Wiseman otherwise.  What they do have is a slew of 6'6-6'7 forwards who need to play PF/C at times and yet none of them can shoot.  I'm honestly curious why teams don't zone against the Dubs, let their big stay around the paint, and let anyone but Curry shoot.

agree with most of this for sure.

Though this season so far, Wiggins is actually hitting the 3 at a higher % than Steph right now. Crazy fkn times man haha

• Haha 2

Well, it cost them the game. With Wiseman, they had played to a tie with 5 minutes to go. Then Kerr takes out Wiseman, and the Pacers go on a 10-0 run. Maybe it's better they lost this way, so Kerr could learn something.

I loved that the Pacers were respecting Wiseman the whole game, worried about getting their shots blocked in the paint. Sabonis was having real trouble in the paint.

Kerr just has a playbook which does not suit his new talent. He thinks smallball is the game-winning move. But you would think he is smart enough to learn.

5 minutes ago, jdotb said:

Why draft wiseman with your second overall pick if you plan to close with a small-ball lineup

As a Dubs fan who has watched every game: while Wiseman is insanely talented, he’s very raw and still finding confidence in his offensive game. He also commits a lot of fouls right now, which can kill you down the stretch. Our best closing front court is Green/Paschall or Green/Looney

Edited by alexstr

I liked Wiseman's game tonight. He was in control despite the foul issues. Most of his fouls were ticky-tack, except for one bad one. And the moving screen was Curry's fault for going too fast.

Still very early in the season as well whilst their whole roster hasn’t played together much yet either (mainly dray). I think if you can be patient whilst he learns the ropes he’ll settle in nicely and if he can average 12/8 and 2-3 blocks I’ll be more then happy with that 

4 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Well, it cost them the game. With Wiseman, they had played to a tie with 5 minutes to go. Then Kerr takes out Wiseman, and the Pacers go on a 10-0 run. Maybe it's better they lost this way, so Kerr could learn something.

I loved that the Pacers were respecting Wiseman the whole game, worried about getting their shots blocked in the paint. Sabonis was having real trouble in the paint.

Kerr just has a playbook which does not suit his new talent. He thinks smallball is the game-winning move. But you would think he is smart enough to learn.

Agreed with this 100%.  Kerr's fallen in love with small ball because that's how he's won his rings as a coach.  He's now learning you can't have 6'6 guys masquerading as centers (Dray/Paschall) going against Myles and Sabonis ... That small ball lineup of death is long gone and teams know how to not only counter it, but run it better than the Dubs, especially when you've got non-shooters like Oubre, Dray and Wiggins out there.  

4 hours ago, alexstr said:

As a Dubs fan who has watched every game: while Wiseman is insanely talented, he’s very raw and still finding confidence in his offensive game. He also commits a lot of fouls right now, which can kill you down the stretch. Our best closing front court is Green/Paschall or Green/Looney

Dubs fan here too.  I actually think his offensive game is quite strong; I initially thought the exact same thing before the season started (that he'd be super raw and timid).  However, in his first few games, he was engaged, attacked the rim, attempted to shoot some midrange, and while he missed some pretty easy bunnies, he was far more effective offensively than guys like Wiggins or Oubre.  

Fouls ... Yeah, that's a problem that even the best big men have problems with.  Gobert started off like that.  Mitch Rob, Whiteside ... Athletic dudes love to block shots, but it's usually smarter when they let their wingspans do the work and only commit to swat shots as a help defender.  Wiseman will learn, but he needs the opportunity to do so.

I definitely like that Dray/Paschall combo, since it's fast and tough.  Paschall plays like he's 6'11.  But they're also incredibly small physically and neither are great shooters.  Looney ... I have no idea why Kerr likes him after 3 years of watching him play.  I remember him getting backed down by Jrue Holiday and scored on in the post more than a few times in the playoffs a few years ago.  Also another guy who can't shoot.

49 minutes ago, MWon said:

Agreed with this 100%.  Kerr's fallen in love with small ball because that's how he's won his rings as a coach.  He's now learning you can't have 6'6 guys masquerading as centers (Dray/Paschall) going against Myles and Sabonis ... That small ball lineup of death is long gone and teams know how to not only counter it, but run it better than the Dubs, especially when you've got non-shooters like Oubre, Dray and Wiggins out there.  

Dubs fan here too.  I actually think his offensive game is quite strong; I initially thought the exact same thing before the season started (that he'd be super raw and timid).  However, in his first few games, he was engaged, attacked the rim, attempted to shoot some midrange, and while he missed some pretty easy bunnies, he was far more effective offensively than guys like Wiggins or Oubre.  

Fouls ... Yeah, that's a problem that even the best big men have problems with.  Gobert started off like that.  Mitch Rob, Whiteside ... Athletic dudes love to block shots, but it's usually smarter when they let their wingspans do the work and only commit to swat shots as a help defender.  Wiseman will learn, but he needs the opportunity to do so.

I definitely like that Dray/Paschall combo, since it's fast and tough.  Paschall plays like he's 6'11.  But they're also incredibly small physically and neither are great shooters.  Looney ... I have no idea why Kerr likes him after 3 years of watching him play.  I remember him getting backed down by Jrue Holiday and scored on in the post more than a few times in the playoffs a few years ago.  Also another guy who can't shoot.

Kerr trusts Looney to do the right thing. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but he does 

(Worth noting that Looney had our highest plus /minus of the game tonight with +13)

3 hours ago, beejay6020 said:

Still very early in the season as well whilst their whole roster hasn’t played together much yet either (mainly dray). I think if you can be patient whilst he learns the ropes he’ll settle in nicely and if he can average 12/8 and 2-3 blocks I’ll be more then happy with that 

Averaging 2-3 blocks is ridiculous

Dynasty League. Not going to help you much in a 12 Team re-draft league.

Weekly leagues not Daily. Can't stash players like this in Daily. Daily everyone needs to produce NOW.

Wiseman is average this year in re-drafts. You would be better off with Holmes. Or even Ibaka.....Maybe not Ibaka.