NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I decided to dig deeper and took a took at every player from 2018-19 to 2019-20, to see how guards were affected by a big increase in usage. I filtered out all big men, players who played less tha

I don't understand your list. I don't know how you can just write off SGA when there's several players you just mentioned that are even more questionable as top 50's. JJJ - This man is still reco

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, In Spades said:

Not to derail the thread, but the game is much different now than it was back then, and arguably takes more of a toll on the players now due to how fast paced and dynamic the game has become. It makes sense that the Thunder would want to tank since their best bet out of mediocrity is drafting or overpaying (like they did with Al Horford), but man is it incredibly frustrating owning this dude. Wish I sold high earlier.

Watch 90's games much more physical. What toll all guys do now is throw up threes or shoot free throws lol and no one plays d

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Watch 90's games much more physical. What toll all guys do now is throw up threes or shoot free throws lol and no one plays d

Yeah I don't understand this. The pace is faster now, but defenses for the most part are very weak compared to what they were and the game is nowhere near as physical as it used to be. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

I'm not gonna disagree with you that when it came to physicality; in the older days you could get away with much more like when it came to driving into the paint. But "throwing up threes and freethrows" is kinda missing what's happening in the modern game and my point. If you watch a 80s, 90s, or even 00s game, you'll probably notice how much stilted offensive or defensive schemes were -- how only the guards really played on the perimeter, forwards would play inside the three point line, and centers would just be going from block to block on offense and defense. The game was heavily reliant on iso-offenses and slow-paced half court setups (the NBA was at its slowest pace in the 90s), but after they removed illegal defense and analytics realized the effectiveness of the 3 pointer (more specifically the corner 3), it created a ripple effect that requires players to be much more dynamic. Now, almost everyone plays on the perimeter to some extent, and the best guards (and forwards and even some centers) need to be covered 30 feet from the basket. This spreads the floor out, and makes players have to cover more square footage of the court, all while navigating screens and whatever hijinx removing illegal defense opened up. Couple this with how it seems the pace of the game goes up every year which means players are running and jumping more, this creates a lot more exertion/force/torque/stress on a players ligaments -- specifically their lower extremities.

So yeah, you're less likely to get a fist to the face in the modern game, but the way the game is currently being played it is much worse for the players' body which means more wear and tear and more injuries.

5 minutes ago, WestCoastMax said:

A lot of these players(  high profiled) are playing basketball more intensely at a young age. This wears and tears on their bodies much more then compared to players of the past.

Also this.

Edited by In Spades
  • Like 6
17 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Yeah I don't understand this. The pace is faster now, but defenses for the most part are very weak compared to what they were and the game is nowhere near as physical as it used to be. 

A lot of these players(  high profiled) are playing basketball more intensely at a young age. This wears and tears on their bodies much more then compared to players of the past.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, WestCoastMax said:

Yeah MJ’s trainer Tim Grover wrote about this a few years back. Kids are actually playing way too much in the AAU, school, training etc, and it’s leading to more injuries among younger players.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Eltoro said:

Yeah MJ’s trainer Tim Grover wrote about this a few years back. Kids are actually playing way too much in the AAU, school, training etc, and it’s leading to more injuries among younger players.

Yeah but that’s the reason why every year there are more and more physical freaks like AD. Look around the league. Half the league has a very fast, strong 7 footer with defense, good enough handles, range from 3, and passing ability. 

I think the real issue is that there is no ongoing physical therapy to help their bodies keep up with the demand. Maybe the solution is to have the NBA have youth academies like they do in Europe. At least in soccer, over training is not an issue for young players in euro leagues.

2 hours ago, Vikster07 said:

Will he come back before the end of April?

80% no

20% yes (but with non B2B and strict minute restriction)

Al Horford is teaching him how to rest right now. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

80% no

20% yes (but with non B2B and strict minute restriction)

Al Horford is teaching him how to rest right now. 

Not going to lie. This made me chuckle. 

Edited by Vikster07
  • Like 1

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (right foot plantar fasciitis) will be re-evaluated in mid-April, according to Mark Daigneault.

Fingers crossed that SGA will be able to return soon after his re-evaluation, but the team isn't yet sure how much time he'll miss. Theo Maledon will benefit most statistically with him sidelined. When healthy, Poku and Ty Jerome will also see more opportunities. 

Mar 31, 2021, 6:23 PM ET

Does anyone think we are actually going to see him back before the end of the season?

48 minutes ago, HRHoops2 said:

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (right foot plantar fasciitis) will be re-evaluated in mid-April, according to Mark Daigneault.

Fingers crossed that SGA will be able to return soon after his re-evaluation, but the team isn't yet sure how much time he'll miss. Theo Maledon will benefit most statistically with him sidelined. When healthy, Poku and Ty Jerome will also see more opportunities. 

Mar 31, 2021, 6:23 PM ET

Does anyone think we are actually going to see him back before the end of the season?

Doubt it. I just wish I knew how much side money they gave him to agree to this nonsense 

1 hour ago, lanyabatt said:

Trade deadline is tomorrow, our playoffs start on the 12th ends on May 2nd. He’s in my IR. Wth am I gonna do with this kid?? He had a real shot at MIP. I hate tanking teams.

Make sure to never draft him again no matter how far he "drops"

• Like 1

People still holding this headache? No updates, trash team who have no reason to even play him again. Currently have 4 guys INJ with 2 weeks til playoffs. Reevaluation in April where they will probably say he is progressing and thats it