NBC Sports Edge Forums

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 2020-2021 Outlook

31 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I guess I understand they felt they weren't going to compete for a championship with the prior roster composition.  I also understand that moving Paul gave them a nice return but then they jettisoned one player they got in return- Oubre - who is young and arguably would help them remain competitive and another - Rubio - who might have helped with SGA's development. I get the concept of gathering high draft picks and tanking constantly but we see where it got Philadelphia.  Several years of mediocrity followed by the current position of being competitive but likely no closer to a championship than they were before they started tanking.  

The only way OKC will ever compete for a championship is to truly hit on several high draft picks like they did with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden. The rest of the manipulations just inflicts pain on their fanbase.  I know.  As a Pacer fan, the Pacers are in the same boat.  However, at least, they are competitive enough that they make an occasional run in the playoffs.

By the time they become competitive again, SGA will have already asked to be traded.

Agree with this. OKC was in a tough position. In my honest opinion, Thunder were looking to tank and trade CP3 last season, but that didn't happen as nobody wanted CP3 contract and CP3 and SGA outperformed and got themselves a playoff berth. With the trade of CP3, maybe they realized they didnt want a repeat of last year an actually just want to trade for high draft picks and the flexibility of trading for a "star". As a small market team you have really limited options, 1). build through the draft or 2). get enough picks/valuable pieces to trade for one star and build around them with draft picks and convince the "star" to stay (Milwaukee Bucks with Giannis). With the current (i believe they have 17 picks from now until 2026) they should be good to go to make significant changes and they got out of those horrendous contracts (Westbrook, CP3 and Steven Adams) so now if they need to get a potential star they can absorb a bad contract or 2.

• Like 3
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I decided to dig deeper and took a took at every player from 2018-19 to 2019-20, to see how guards were affected by a big increase in usage. I filtered out all big men, players who played less tha

I don't understand your list. I don't know how you can just write off SGA when there's several players you just mentioned that are even more questionable as top 50's. JJJ - This man is still reco

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Crazycanto said:

Is it almost a given he gets PG eligibility back in Yahoo at the start of the season?

It took Yahoo until Jan/Feb to get him SF eligibility last season... They'll probably need to see the "boxscore data" first to get that PG eligibility back.. which might take months btw..

Edited by sharkpotato
  • Like 1
On 11/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, DonutGiveUp said:

Thunder Roster Today;

Dort

SGA

Darius Bazley

Pokusevski

Al Horford

Trevor Ariza

George Hill

Justin Jackson

Theo Maledon

Hamidu Diallo

Darius Miller

Ty Jerome

TJ Leaf

Admiral Schofield

Mike Muscala

Isiah Roby

Vincent Poirier

Josh Gray

Kenrich Williams

Zylan Cheatham

Josh Hall 2wP

Some of these dudes seem like created players in 2K lol

Wow holy s**t that is terrible. That's like a Process-era 76ers team LOL. Back when they still had Elton Brand, and baby versions of Richaun Holmes, Jerami Grant and Christian Wood lol

25 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Wow holy s**t that is terrible. That's like a Process-era 76ers team LOL. Back when they still had Elton Brand, and baby versions of Richaun Holmes, Jerami Grant and Christian Wood lol

Take a look at the MCW Sixer years it was fantasy gold minus the %'s.

As I mentioned in the Christian Wood thread usage is king. 2 years with a tanking team and MCW was a stud, 5 years since role player.

SGA will smash the popcorn stats but the %'s will determine if he is a fantasy beast. Rnd 3 or 4 target for me, even more so if I start guard heavy, he should be at or near the top of guards in rebounds and blocks.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:47 PM, DonutGiveUp said:

Thunder Roster Today;

Dort

SGA

Darius Bazley

Pokusevski

Al Horford

Trevor Ariza

George Hill

Justin Jackson

Theo Maledon

Hamidu Diallo

Darius Miller

Ty Jerome

TJ Leaf

Admiral Schofield

Mike Muscala

Isiah Roby

Vincent Poirier

Josh Gray

Kenrich Williams

Zylan Cheatham

Josh Hall 2wP

Some of these dudes seem like created players in 2K lol

I'll be honest, most people might see trash here outside of SGA but there is so much potential for fantasy gold from questionable  lineups like this because of the fact that the team has to start several unknowns. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen, but I also wouldn't be surprised if a Devonte Graham situation popped out of something like this next season.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, tazdingo said:

I'll be honest, most people might see trash here outside of SGA but there is so much potential for fantasy gold from questionable  lineups like this because of the fact that the team has to start several unknowns. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen, but I also wouldn't be surprised if a Devonte Graham situation popped out of something like this next season.

Bazley, Dort and Poirier are interesting and if they keep the vets around they could do well so very interesting team to keep an eye on 

12 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Lol....SGA, Horford, Ariza, Hill and some youngins...you thinking another sneaky 42 win season (in 82 game terms)?

Where did I say that bruv? I said the players could do well given the roster and opportunity. They’re a lottery team 100% 

On 11/24/2020 at 9:21 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Not disputing the data or the perspective, but it is difficult to gauge the validity and applicability of these data without more context.  135 minutes is a small data sample.  Do we know who they were playing?  Who was on the floor with him?  Who was he guarding? The score of the game? Do we know if the TOs were bad passes, teammates not making the play, offensive fouls? Was SGA injured? Tired? 2nd game of b-2-b?

Mike Gallagher posts lots of snippets of small data sample assessments.  Some have merit, some don't.  However, most have no context so they are just snapshots of data.

What we do know is mostly anecdotal but plausible.  CP3 tends to make most players more efficient both as a playmaker and in his ability to score. His absence from the lineup will probably mean decreased efficiency for all players on his team.  It would be interesting to see the same comparison for both CP3 and Schroeder.  

Yup.

I call it the "Jon Leuer, Phx Suns" effect. As a pistons fan (or "sucker" maybe these days) i remember seeing these per minute analytics for Leuer  (playing for Phx) when the Pistons went for him. So i decided to watch footage of these 3pt% "data" as real clips. You know what i saw? A dude playing 2nd, late 3rd and 4th quarter minutes in blowouts against guys who were g-league call ups with almost no set half court offense or defense anywhere on the floor. If a real rotation guy came in, you think he's risking an ankle turn or groin pull closing out Leuer when they're up 20 already? The coaches are probably saying "take it easy" to rotation guys at that point. Throw that data away. Of course, as it turned out, he couldn't get off a shot against first quarter/starting & caring defenders.

Obviously SGA isn't Leuer, but of those 135 minutes, how many were first quarter? That's the analysis. Maybe add in 3rd quarter if the game's within 15 points, but that's it. Even if that cuts the 135 minute analysis by 70%, I'd say it's infinitely more telling of what you might see now.

He has to lead the team which probably tanks. I don't think it is good thing. In my opinion his season outlook is overrated.Right now I have plan to draft Luguentz Dort at late rounds and not touch SGA.

Edited by apatas
4 hours ago, apatas said:

He has to lead the team which probably tanks. I don't think it is good thing. In my opinion his season outlook is overrated.Right now I have plan to draft Luguentz Dort at late rounds and not touch SGA.

Huh? Dort is a much better real life player than fantasy. I dont expect him to do much in fantasy value. SGA has every chsnce to make a fantasy impact this season.

• Thanks 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Shai Gilgeous-Alexander 2020-2021 Outlook