NBC Sports Edge Forums

Obi Toppin 2020-2021 Outlook

So the Knicks just unloaded a bunch of bigs from the team (Taj Gibson & Portis are officially gone, Harkless probably doesn't get a new contract) which looks like they're finally going through with a youth movement. While Randle (and potentially Thibs) can still throw a wrench in the Knicks' plan for this, I wanted to know what you guys think. I never followed the NCAA so I never got to watch Obi's game but the potential core of Barrett & Toppin sounds like a good start if they pan out.

I also don't follow NCAA because I am living in Europe, but always the biggest stat here are the minutes and right now we can't predict how much he plays. Maybe during preseason or after coach reveals his plans, it is more clear.

• 1 month later...

Doubtful for Saturday / who knows Sunday, tough break this early in the season as we rush to evaluate the new guys. I'm not too high on him anymore with Randle/MRob/Noel as competition for big mins.

His first line was promising so gotta hold and be patient

• 2 weeks later...

NYK has been doing well without him and Thibs is definitely the Thibs of old so unless he can make a consistent impact he will have a minor role. He's not really producing so far.

1 hour ago, rob0403 said:

NYK has been doing well without him and Thibs is definitely the Thibs of old so unless he can make a consistent impact he will have a minor role. He's not really producing so far.

He was decent week 1 though, and the Knicks were at full strength then. Played 24 min. Only hit 3 of 12 shots but was 3 of 7 from deep, had 3 rebounds and 1 assist. Not great numbers but the 12 attempts was 3rd most on the team, only behind Barrett and Randle, who each had 15. 

I know about Thibs and rookies but I feel that there may be something there, specially if they move Burks into the starting lineup and move on from Reggie Bullock in the rotation. 

So ESPN moved this guy to healthy even though there's no timetable for his return and now I have to move him off my IR? So much for being patient, what trash

Obi Toppin says he was just cleared for contact today. Hasn’t had a chance to practice yet. Has only had contact sessions with coaches.

Still unclear if Obi Toppin will actually get minutes tonight since just cleared. Could be just used in emergency or foul trouble especially with possibility of Taj suiting up.

I am probably gonna get hated but I feel like Kevin Knox is going to do better than Obi this year. It's gonna be hard to unseat Knox (plays around 50% at PF)

Knox: hitting 53% Corner 3's this year. 

Obi: not hitting 3's and Randle plays at his main position. Also not a C because they signed Gibson.

And guess who is the younger player? Knox, who was honestly should have stayed in college longer.

I think he will take only the reserve PF minutes, which would be brutal for him. there is also no need for him to play out of position at SF.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, MikeXScott said:

As a Knicks fan , Obi isnt ready, there's no fantasy value here

Yeah I agree, not to say he won't ever have it but there are probably more valuable players to grab on the wire. He's obviously a guy to pay close attention to but I don't see there being fantasy value this season.

• Like 1