NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zion Williamson 2020-2021 Outlook

As a rookie, Zion produced just late round stats per game, but when he was able to play without minutes restrictions he was actually putting up good numbers in FG%, Points, Rebs, and at least contributed some assists, steals, with a trickling of blocks.

Obviously the season was a letdown because of injuries and not being in top playing condition. Having said that, he still put up some impressive offensive numbers, historically speaking. 

I think besides the health concerns, stat- wise, his value will depend on if his steals and blocks numbers start to appear.

Do you think his defensive stats will go up this season after a "full" offseason and training camp?

(Duke stats: 2+ steals and 1.8 blocks/ game)

How high are you willing to draft him in h2h? (In H2H because you'll probably have to at least soft punt FT% with him).

His current yahoo X- rank of 23 or 24 seems high but in h2h I think it could work out as long as the defensive numbers improve.

What do you think? What round would you draft him?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds to me like Zion will undervalued. Everyone is staying away from him...  

Watch highlights from last year, he's bullying grown a** NBA players under the rim with multiple own offensive rebounds and he's only 6'6!  He seems to be an outlier with his size combination, the way

With their own free-throw deficiencies, LeBron, Luka, and Giannis finished last year #16, #25, and #26. Zion finished #195. Top 10 is a pipe-dream.

He will be over drafted. I would take him in round 4 but he’s not going to be available that late. People know his hype and the fact that he wasn’t 100% so now that he is then obviously he should get a bunch of minutes and produce. As far as steals and blocks I don’t know. Depending how he looks in preseason games will determine if I believe if his stats in those areas can improve. As of now I would like to say maybe marginally improve but he’s so young so you would think yes.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a much bigger fan of him in real life than in fantasy hoops, just like Joel Embiid. I think he (like Embiid) just ooze charisma & talent but that injury history is too much for me to gamble on, especially in what's going to look like a condensed season. I will be passing on him even if he stares at me during the 6th round (and I doubt he'll be available by then).

Edited by tazdingo
  • Like 2

Zion will be notoriously over drafted and I love it. The only thing he offered last year was Pts, Rebs and FG% in 9 cat. Everything else was pathetic and he couldn't even crack the top 150. There is an obvious injury risk and we have not received any confirmation that they will stop babying his minutes. I expect him to get better but his starting point of last years numbers are so bad that it's next to impossible that he can crack top 50. 

Edited by FantasyBallFan
  • Haha 1
On 11/20/2020 at 11:48 AM, Johnnyapplebot said:

He will be over drafted.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:24 PM, tazdingo said:

I will be passing on him even if he stares at me during the 6th round

On 11/20/2020 at 12:37 PM, Stefan said:

Wouldn't draft him even in the 50s... I'll let someone else deal wit him

15 minutes ago, FantasyBallFan said:

Zion will be notoriously over drafted and I love it.

Sounds to me like Zion will undervalued. Everyone is staying away from him...

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Zion Williamson's per-36 stats with Jrue Holiday (499 minutes): 27.3 points, 8.4 boards, 2.1 dimes, 0.7 steals and 0.5 blocks (59.8 FG%, 27.2 USG%)

Zion's per-36 stats without Jrue (169 minutes): 34.3 points, 7.2 boards, 4.5 dimes, 1.3 steals, 0.4 blocks (54.8 FG%, 34.8 USG%).

Damn son!

• Thanks 3
23 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Zion Williamson's per-36 stats with Jrue Holiday (499 minutes): 27.3 points, 8.4 boards, 2.1 dimes, 0.7 steals and 0.5 blocks (59.8 FG%, 27.2 USG%)

Zion's per-36 stats without Jrue (169 minutes): 34.3 points, 7.2 boards, 4.5 dimes, 1.3 steals, 0.4 blocks (54.8 FG%, 34.8 USG%).

Damn son!

Go ahead, draft him 2nd-3rd round and f uck up your team for good . No steals, no blks, no 3's, no asists. SCARY 
🤣:D🤣:D🤣

EDIT: oh yeah btw horrendous FT%

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Go ahead, draft him 2nd-3rd round and f uck up your team for good . No steals, no blks, no 3's, no asists. SCARY 

Wow, those stats in a points league are probably worth a late first round /early 2nd Rnd pick.

Stuff like this is why I quit playing categories.  I could care less about his horrendous FT%, minimal stls, blks or assists.  Real NBA GM's would love to have a player of that caliber on their team.  People playing fantasy with categories, not so much.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, rabaak said:

Wow, those stats in a points league are probably worth a late first round /early 2nd Rnd pick.

Stuff like this is why I quit playing categories.  I could care less about his horrendous FT%, minimal stls, blks or assists.  Real NBA GM's would love to have a player of that caliber on their team.  People playing fantasy with categories, not so much.

OFc, I yet again failed to mention... my comment is intended for cat leagues only. Sorry

Edited by Stefan
2 minutes ago, Stefan said:

OFc, I yet again failed to mention... my comment is intended for cat leagues only. Sorry

Thanks. I've been here so long, that I realize I have to preface my analysis with the fact I'm in a points league or I get all kinds of "your an idiot" responses.

I would guess it is about 70%  cat league people here and 30% points league.

Either way, I still get a lot of valuable info from this forum. Lot of knowledgable people on this site.

31 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Lol i personally would not touch him i prefer Ingram but i know the guys in my league will be salivating when they see Zion come up

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

You guys are basically saying he’s Eddy Curry, right?

Check out “peak” Eddy Curry: 19 and 7 shooting 58% from the field...ok not bad...but 0.8 ast, 0.4 stl and 0.5 blk. 61.5% FT% on 8.1 att per game 🤮

Ummm except that "peak" Zion will probably be closer to 28ppg/10reb.  He also avg'd 1.8bpg/2.1spg in college, I don't think with his athleticism it's out of the question he could avg 1bpg/1spg as well.   Do agree though in cat leagues, like usual, the poor FT% tanks his value quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, SportsBrain said:

Ummm except that "peak" Zion will probably be closer to 28ppg/10reb.  He also avg'd 1.8bpg/2.1spg in college, I don't think with his athleticism it's out of the question he could avg 1bpg/1spg as well.   Do agree though in cat leagues, like usual, the poor FT% tanks his value quite a bit. 

Oh yea of course Zion will blow away Currys 19/7. No argument there. Just thinking about a comp who was light on the stocks and had a similar (potential) abysmal FT%.

4 hours ago, Stefan said:

I think nobody drafts him in 2nd round. 3rd is possible, but 4th in my opinion is already like "must draft". Of course you can wait and draft him later but hardly he is available. He plays only 2nd season at NBA. He can improve lack of stocks.

Edited by apatas
12 minutes ago, apatas said:

I think nobody drafts him in 2nd round. 3rd is possible, but 4th in my opinion is already like "must draft". Of course you can wait and draft him later but hardly he is available. He plays only 2nd season at NBA. He can improve lack of stocks.

He can, but I think he won't... lacks commitment on D. He just ain't interested, and ofc there's always rest/load management thing with him. 

Also 4th round is like 36th pick and after, right ? Aaaaa lot of better and safer options there before ZIon: CP3, J.Collins, VanVleet, Sabonis, Fox, LaVine, Valanciunas, J. Brown.

Edited by Stefan
1 minute ago, Stefan said:

He can, but I think he won't... lacks commitment on D. He just ain't interested, and ofc there's always rest/load managment thing with Zion. 

Also 4th round is like 36th pick and after, right ? Aaaaa lot of better and safer options there before ZIon: CP3, J.Collins, VanVleet, Sabonis, Fox, LaVine, Valanciunas, J. Brown.

CP3, Collins and Van Vleet are 3rd round options. LaVine is early 4th round, they are really better than Zion. Others probably not, I think.

13 minutes ago, apatas said:

CP3, Collins and Van Vleet are 3rd round options. LaVine is early 4th round, they are really better than Zion. Others probably not, I think.

They are, but they can't all be picked 3rd round... all of the above are 36th+ picks... If they're picked 3rd... someone ranked in front of them will fall then. 

All I'm saying, Zion is not by all means a must draft (4th round) in cat leagues. He's not until he proves us otherwise. YES a huge upside, but for now mainly only in 3 cats (pts, reb, fg%).

Edited by Stefan
6 minutes ago, Stefan said:

They are, but they can't all be picked 3rd round... all of the above are 36th+ picks... If they're picked 3rd... someone in front of them will fall then. 

All I'm saying, Zion is not by all means a must draft in cat leagues in the 4th, until he proves us otherwise. YES a huge upside, but mainly only in 3 cats (pts, reb, fg%). Until he proves us otherwise

OK, I can be more precise. I have my own prerank. Collins is there 26th, CP3 is 27th, Van Vleet is 35th and LaVine 39th. I don't know who is in front of them, but not in my rank! Collins and CP3 are 3rd round players without doubt, Van Vleet position is arguable.

Edited by apatas
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Oh yea of course Zion will blow away Currys 19/7. No argument there. Just thinking about a comp who was light on the stocks and had a similar (potential) abysmal FT%.

Zions path this season reminds me of a young Blake Griffin. Mr. Popcorn stats with light stocks and poor ft%.

Edited by sharkpotato
  • Like 2
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Zion Williamson 2020-2021 Outlook