NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zion Williamson 2020-2021 Outlook

Zion Williamson passed his conditioning test "easily," according to coach Stan Van Gundy, and he's playing with "no restrictions ... none."

Williamson has no limitations at all going into the season. Ideally it wouldn't be news that Zion passed a conditioning test, but it suggests that his knee is fully healthy and didn't inhibit him from staying in peak shape this offseason. SVG went as far as to call Williamson and Nickeil Alexander-Walker the two players who "exceeded their goals the most in conditioning tests," which is a confidence-booster for everyone targeting him in fantasy drafts.

Anyone buying this? I'm still planning on not drafting him, but I just hope he does well regardless of having a good fantasy year or not.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds to me like Zion will undervalued. Everyone is staying away from him...  

Watch highlights from last year, he's bullying grown a** NBA players under the rim with multiple own offensive rebounds and he's only 6'6!  He seems to be an outlier with his size combination, the way

With their own free-throw deficiencies, LeBron, Luka, and Giannis finished last year #16, #25, and #26. Zion finished #195. Top 10 is a pipe-dream.

For a guy with his mass he's not even that good at rebounding either. All he offers is points, FG%, and decent stocks and boards at the expense of everything else. He also barely shoots 3's. You may as well have a traditional double-double big man over him. Is he even better than healthy Derrick Favors from last season?

3 hours ago, tazdingo said:

Zion Williamson passed his conditioning test "easily," according to coach Stan Van Gundy, and he's playing with "no restrictions ... none."

Williamson has no limitations at all going into the season. Ideally it wouldn't be news that Zion passed a conditioning test, but it suggests that his knee is fully healthy and didn't inhibit him from staying in peak shape this offseason. SVG went as far as to call Williamson and Nickeil Alexander-Walker the two players who "exceeded their goals the most in conditioning tests," which is a confidence-booster for everyone targeting him in fantasy drafts.

Anyone buying this? I'm still planning on not drafting him, but I just hope he does well regardless of having a good fantasy year or not.

I can buy it, but still not drafting him. Better off just picking someone who's more versatile in his projected spot and wait for a poor mans Zion like Julius Randle in the later rounds.

I’m sorry but Zion just doesn’t do anything for me in any of the “exotic” categories like 3PT/AST/STL/BLK to warrant such a crazy investment (2nd round now?).

He’s basically a super flashy 06-07 Eddy Curry when it comes to statistical production.

Zion might look good as name appeal on your roster but he doesn’t back it up in fantasy production.

Edited by nomidi
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, nomidi said:

I’m sorry but Zion just doesn’t do anything for me in any of the “exotic” categories like 3PT/AST/STL/BLK to warrant such a crazy investment (2nd round now?).

He’s basically a super flashy 06-07 Eddy Curry when it comes to statistical production.

Zion might look good as name appeal on your roster but he doesn’t back it up in fantasy production.

Basically in the same weight class as well... 

But good find, those stat lines aren't too far off. Makes you wonder even more why some people are so high on Zion. 

17 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

What happened to all the steals and blocks he averaged in college? It just doesn't translate?

Who all them little guys in college that he was bullying and now he playing against real players and it’s not translating.

• Like 1
On 12/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Who all them little guys in college that he was bullying and now he playing against real players and it’s not translating.

Watch highlights from last year, he's bullying grown a** NBA players under the rim with multiple own offensive rebounds and he's only 6'6!  He seems to be an outlier with his size combination, the way he moves and explodes to the rim in just a couple steps with an unpredictable left hand extension; unlike Curry who was strictly a post guy, if memory serves me correctly.  I came in here expecting a hype train but after reading comments I guess I'm in the minority. I think he can push 25/10/1/1 with elite FG%, mildly improved 70-75 FT%, which I don't consider punt territory, and maybe 0.5-1 3pt a game. I like him any time after mid round 2 after players like Embiid but before players like Collins.

• Like 5

IF he improves his FT to 70% and makes minor improvements to his stocks, he should be safe top 30. IF his FT% stays at 64% and his stocks do not improve, then he finishes around 70th. Probably the riskiest pick in the top 40, but the upside is certainly there. I'm not ready to believe that he's Julius Randle 2.0. 

I think if you can get him around the 3rd-4th round there will be a lot of upside with minimal risk. He’ll probably have the best high volume fg% in the league this year. His impact on fg% will be similar to Harden on ft%. If his ft% jumps to 70% and no with restrictions, he will have no problem finishing top 25. This guy is supposed to be the next Lebron and he definitely looks the part. He’s no eddy curry. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, gbill2004 said:

He's looked scary good this pre-season. Could be looking at a top 10 season here. 

With their own free-throw deficiencies, LeBron, Luka, and Giannis finished last year #16, #25, and #26. Zion finished #195. Top 10 is a pipe-dream.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, brickcitymamba said:

How valuable is he in points leagues? I'm assuming there's an advantage there compared to category formats

In my league and scoring system, he averaged 31 fantasy points a game in 2019-20. That put him in the range of Jamal Murray, Kevin Love, Rudy Gobert. But I expect a big jump in value this year. 

He went at the top of the third round this year in our draft at pick 25. I was hoping he would be there for me at pick 28. I ended up taking Sabonis. Paul George and Donovan Mitchell went right in that range too.

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

Another guy here who missed out on Zion!  

Nope. Haven't drafted yet.

Zion's per-36 numbers this preseason: 57.1% FG, 77.3% FT (11.8 attempts !!), 0.0 threes, 30.6 points, 10.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.5 blocks, 3.8 turnovers. I love him in real life and wish him nothing but the best (especially health), but there is just no way in hell he returns 1st round value if he produces positive value in only 3 categories.

Even if I find myself in a punt FT build, I think there are other options at his draft position that better fill the weaknesses of that build (3's, assists, steals).

Might draft him if I decide to punt FT, 3's, and TO.

• Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Zion Williamson 2020-2021 Outlook