NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jusuf Nurkic 2020-2021 Outlook

Johnnyapplebot

36 minutes ago, Totasef said:

I have seen Nurk going in 3rd round and I thought WOW. Basically, thats his ceiling and the floor is what he produce now. Thats a huge gap. He cant turn it around  that much now you know. He may be in top50 but he may be outside 100. 

He should be drafted in 5th and 6th round and thats it. Thats where he belongs

Ok. When my draft happens next week, I will look to take in 6th round. Thanks 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Totasef said:

I have seen Nurk going in 3rd round and I thought WOW. Basically, thats his ceiling and the floor is what he produce now. Thats a huge gap. He cant turn it around  that much now you know. He may be in top50 but he may be outside 100. 

Him & Booker had incredible Bubble Bumps during draft season.

Draymond switched to his roll game all night. There are some Nurkic plays in here where I can see why Stotts sat him. Charges, bricked layups, bad lobs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Totasef said:

This is most definitely not his floor. Floor isnt calculated on a 5 game sample especially at the beginning of the season. 

Everyone is impatient because they had high hopes for him. Believe me, Portland will barely make playoffs if Nurk isnt playing major minutes. Once he gets going everyone that held will reap the rewards. The dudes heading into his prime for God's sake 

1 minute ago, ROTY said:

This is most definitely not his floor. Floor isnt calculated on a 5 game sample especially at the beginning of the season. 

Everyone is impatient because they had high hopes for him. Believe me, Portland will barely make playoffs if Nurk isnt playing major minutes. Once he gets going everyone that held will reap the rewards. The dudes heading into his prime for God's sake 

Sooo when are the minutes coming exactly ? 

1 hour ago, SolariNatividad said:

Maybe 15 to 20 games into the season when he gets his conditioning back? I read that he did not have the usual offseason (training, preseason etc.)

Gee I really hope so... took him middle 3rd round. 🧐😱

1 hour ago, Pattythrills said:

Literally everyone didn’t have the usual off season.

Did everyone go back to Bosnia to grieve their grandmother's death? Insinuating that everyone's in the same boat is ignorant 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, crocp said:

The amount of excuses being made for this guy LOL

The excuses are warranted for what we all saw when he was in the bubble, he was dominating. We know what the ceiling looka like, he lost a family member during that time and went back home and never got game shape ready but if he actually put in the effort and got in shape he would be just as insane as he was a couple months ago

3 hours ago, ROTY said:

I'm confused. If you expect him to play better, how can this "most definitely" not be his floor? And what on earth does everyone's high hopes have anything to do with their being impatient? If anything, wouldn't high hopes play a role in owners being more patient? This all seems super arbitrary and excuse-driven, including the idea that a 5 game sample at the beginning of the year is "especially" different than a 5 game sample somewhere in the middle.

1 hour ago, ROTY said:

Did everyone go back to Bosnia to grieve their grandmother's death? Insinuating that everyone's in the same boat is ignorant 

OP specifically referenced training camp and preseason. Under that context, Pattythrill's response is perfectly fine. Literally everyone had to deal with an abbreviated and unusual offseason. Also, let's not forget that Nurk balled out in the bubble after his grandmother's death. If we're supposed to believe grieving is part of the reason for his slow start (perfectly fine if it is), I think it would make some sense to question why it didn't affect his performance in the past. He's been asked about the offseason and his conditioning on multiple occasions, but I have not seen any mention of his grandmother's passing as being the issue you're making it out to be.

Coming into the year, when asked about his conditioning, Nurkic did say he was at about 70%, so that's definitely something to keep in mind. However, he also said he didn't think it's realistic to expect him to play 30+ minutes per game. Terry Stotts echoed this sentiment and referenced fatigue, game flow, and foul trouble as reasons Nurkic would probably not reach that mark. Given the totality of the situation, expecting "major minutes" seems foolish, but I suppose he should settle in around 26-28 per game once his conditioning improves.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

The excuses are warranted for what we all saw when he was in the bubble, he was dominating. We know what the ceiling looka like, he lost a family member during that time and went back home and never got game shape ready but if he actually put in the effort and got in shape he would be just as insane as he was a couple months ago

Nah. His bubble minutes were inflated by the playoff atmosphere and injuries to the Blazer frontcourt. And his 88.6% free throw shooting was unsustainably high for a guy whose career mark is 67%. Over the last two seasons before his injury in March of 2019, he played 26.9 minutes per game. That's probably more in line with what we should expect.

1 hour ago, JacobThunder15 said:

So was TJ Warren, Brook, and Bazley...and they are all subpar now...like they were before the bubble.

I am just saying that he is not worth the 3rd or even 4th round pick even if he is healthy and in midseason form from the begining. That is his ceiling if he plays his best season ever and stays healthy but can you count on that ? He is long enough in this league and he always had up and downs in his game and is injury prone. He ll probably miss AT LEAST 5 games this year due to rest and some knocks. Forget the bubble, thats a  small sample too and way different then the regular season. Some teams and players were well prepared and motivated for a bubble and some others were not. 

35 minutes ago, crocp said:

So was TJ Warren, Brook, and Bazley...and they are all subpar now...like they were before the bubble.

Bazley has been alright outside the FG%, Warren really? Dudes been hurt all season and Brook has regressed annually while his minutes go down 

chris boucher's skinny a** >>> this fat slob. my worst pick in the history of my 12 years of playing fantasy basketball. never had a non injury top 5 round pick be as garbage as this grubby looking f***

Edited by TroutFister

4 hours ago, ROTY said:

if this was such common information, why didnt all the pundits and you fantasy 'experts' sound the alarms. now making up excuses because granny died (rip and all that social media fake emotional stuff). It would be a different thing if a parent died, but a grandmother 5 months ago? really? that's the excuse? especially considering he was literally playing well in the bubble which was AFTER the death of his grandmother. (see mrcantaloupe post)

this was just a flat out BAD pick. i'll see if i can trade jabba with something nice for a 50 to 60th ranked player. 

Edited by TroutFister

7 hours ago, bbythepier said:

Him & Booker had incredible Bubble Bumps during draft season.

Draymond switched to his roll game all night. There are some Nurkic plays in here where I can see why Stotts sat him. Charges, bricked layups, bad lobs.

This is a combination of great defense from Draymond and lazy, no effort offense by Nurkic.

27 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Not that I gotta explain my motives to you but I haven’t seen any Blazers games so I want to see if he really looks 90 lb heavier. 

Naah man he looks fine. Doesn't appear chubby to me. Just slow/lazy

Nurk owners, what kind of returns would you be looking at for a trade right now? The guy who has him in my league is very frustrated and is showing signs that he's looking to sell low.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fabrar said:

Nurk owners, what kind of returns would you be looking at for a trade right now? The guy who has him in my league is very frustrated and is showing signs that he's looking to sell low.

Anyone who isn’t slow as a snail