NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jamal Murray 2020-2021 Outlook

Now that we are removed from his fantastic performance during the playoffs. His epic performance to lead the Nuggets back from 3-1 against Pandemic P and Board Man. What do we expect for him during the regular season? Pending Gary Harris and Will Barton is healthy will that effect where we draft Murray? 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

off topic but goddamn, the potenital team canada can have is outrageous... murray, shai, wiggins, barrett, nickeil, dort, brooks, cory joseph, powell, olynyk, tristan, birch, clarke....hope

Canada lookin like europe with that high IQ squad

Posted Images

@RedDogNamedClippers I have nothing against the guy. Very good fantasy and real life combo guard, but I'm not targeting him this year. 

1) Ranked a bit too high at 37 and 2nd kinda tired of drafting him. Had him in my team 3 out of his 4 years in the league. In that range I like SGA, CP3, D.Mitchell, VanVleet more 

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Stefan said:

@RedDogNamedClippers I have nothing against the guy. Very good fantasy and real life combo guard, but I'm not targeting him this year. 

1) Ranked a bit too high at 37 and 2nd kinda tired of drafting him. Had him in my team 3 out of his 4 years in the league. In that range I like SGA, CP3, D.Mitchell, VanVleet more 

Agreed, I saw Yahoo rankings and thought it was a tad bit too high. Right now I have him at at about 43-47ish and even then that is still kind of pushing it for me. Overall he was 5th round so drafting him at 37 is his absolute ceiling.

• Like 2

He was incredible in the playoffs, no doubt, but thus far, he hasn't shown that he's that player consistently in the regular season. I think people will reach and be disappointed in the 2nd-3rd rounds. I'd prefer to grab him in the 5th round or something but doubt he falls that far

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, apatas said:

Why you don't believe what you saw in play-off? In my rank he is 3rd round player.

Beacause he won't be playing 44minutes a game and have 20 shots

Forget what u saw in the playoffs. Just forget about playoffs in general . U can't equal = playoffs and regular season

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Stefan said:

Beacause he won't be playing 44minutes a game and have 20 shots

Forget what u saw in the playoffs. Just forget about playoffs in general . U can't equal = playoffs and regular season

Yes, it is true that play-off stats are more polarized usually, but still Murray has taken a step forward. He can be TOP40 player, he has potential.

• 1 month later...

Denver still playing equality opportunity basketball instead of trying to feature their best players since the regular season doesn’t matter. Murray won’t blow up like he did in the playoffs. Monte Morris and will Barton touch the ball more than him. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Jamal Murray 2020-2021 Outlook
14 hours ago, bballshinobi said:

..since the regular season doesn’t matter.

Lol, hate it when ppl say stuff like this. Obv the regular season matters, can't make the playoffs w/o doing well in regular season. Nugs are 0-2, and im sure they realize they need to win to stay relevant in the super competitive West. They know who their studs are and who will help them win, and murray is at the top of that list.

I dont think he is super elite, but 20/5/5 is very reasonable, w/ solid %s and 3s and some steals. Sure he'll have the occasional dud, but he'll also have games like last night where he catches fire, or even games where he drops 40.

26 minutes ago, gregp said:

Lol, hate it when ppl say stuff like this. Obv the regular season matters, can't make the playoffs w/o doing well in regular season. Nugs are 0-2, and im sure they realize they need to win to stay relevant in the super competitive West. They know who their studs are and who will help them win, and murray is at the top of that list.

I dont think he is super elite, but 20/5/5 is very reasonable, w/ solid %s and 3s and some steals. Sure he'll have the occasional dud, but he'll also have games like last night where he catches fire, or even games where he drops 40.

18-20 with 5 and 5 is his baseline. He can, however, do 27, 5, and 7 as he did in the playoffs., but looks like he and Mike Malone are content to just let him drift around on the perimeter most of the game and let Morris and Barton run pick & roll. 

For a good team like the Nuggets, regular season is just a formality. They go 100% and they will win 54-58 games (out of 82), but going 90% will still get them 53-56 wins. Regular season only matters to the fringe playoff teams. 

6 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

18-20 with 5 and 5 is his baseline. He can, however, do 27, 5, and 7 as he did in the playoffs., but looks like he and Mike Malone are content to just let him drift around on the perimeter most of the game and let Morris and Barton run pick & roll. 

For a good team like the Nuggets, regular season is just a formality. They go 100% and they will win 54-58 games (out of 82), but going 90% will still get them 53-56 wins. Regular season only matters to the fringe playoff teams. 

Well, like I said, they're 0-2, and kinda look like a fringe playoff team rn. Hopefully they realize they need Murray to ball out often if they want any shot at a deep playoff run again. Otherwise, if they go '90%', they're gonna wind up in bottom part of playoffs and knocked out early. Theres just too many good teams out west.

Only the lakers and clips are true playoff locks, nearly every other team is a 'fringe' playoff team.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gregp said:

Well, like I said, they're 0-2, and kinda look like a fringe playoff team rn. Hopefully they realize they need Murray to ball out often if they want any shot at a deep playoff run again. Otherwise, if they go '90%', they're gonna wind up in bottom part of playoffs and knocked out early. Theres just too many good teams out west.

Only the lakers and clips are true playoff locks, nearly every other team is a 'fringe' playoff team.

Uh no, they will make the playoffs as long as Murray and Jokic don’t miss more than 100 games combined. 

7 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Uh no, they will make the playoffs as long as Murray and Jokic don’t miss more than 100 games combined. 

Yea, it's highly unlikely that a team that talented doesnt make the playoffs. But they still needa play better, and win. Which should mean more usage for Murray

40 minutes ago, gregp said:

Yea, it's highly unlikely that a team that talented doesnt make the playoffs. But they still needa play better, and win. Which should mean more usage for Murray

Yes, highly likely that Mike Malone will tax the hell out of his two superstars so Denver can win a couple more games in the regular season. The Nuggets doesn't have much depth at every position. It's not a marathon and they won't lean on their depth after playing in the West Conference Finals just 3 months ago. Load management is definitely not a thing in the NBA. 

31 minutes ago, bballshinobi said:

Yes, highly likely that Mike Malone will tax the hell out of his two superstars so Denver can win a couple more games in the regular season. The Nuggets doesn't have much depth at every position. It's not a marathon and they won't lean on their depth after playing in the West Conference Finals just 3 months ago. Load management is definitely not a thing in the NBA. 

Dude, if they dont use their best players properly they wont win enough, and wont get a decent playoff seed. After the lakers and clips the west is wide open, you don't wanna be the 7 or 8 seed and face either of them 1st rnd. They need a 6th seed or better if they want a chance at a playoff run, and murray is crucial to making sure this happens. Theres only 72 games this year, so each game is a little bit more important. I'm sure they might rest Murray for a few games, but full on load management seems unlikely. Hes 23, not 33.

I dont expect him to put up his bubble numbers or for malone to 'tax the hell' out of him, but something close to what he did last night should be a regularity.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Nurk, too many people drafted for inflated bubble stats where he was averaging around 40 min a game. He's right where he was statwise from last season before the bubble/playoffs with slight increases in 3PTM/points. Also, yeah his assists are down atm because Jokic is operating heavily as the point center more so than past seasons.