NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

ok you win, I changed my mind.  MPJ should play 35 min and be the  main guy on offense.  

Btw, is it a bad thing to keep rolling with    the  same guys and get better  every year?

• Like 1
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got bored and made this during halftime while watching MPJ's riveting game tonight.

F***** stud

Fantasy sports is like a visit to the Toy Store. The newest brightest shiniest toys are often favored over the highly dependable standard toys. There is a reason Monopoly, Barbie and the Slinkie have

Posted Images

2 hours ago, claptondecheeks said:

What do you mean?

Clippers went out and got Ibaka this year. He’s a better than Harrell. and anyways, they’re not doing anything either bc they’ve got no picks and no money. 

Celtics stay trying. Traded Thomas for Kyrie, upgraded from Rozier to Walker. Marcus Smart has improved a ton and his role has increased, now like a B tier star. 

Sixers have gotten Tobias Harris, Jimmy Butler, Seth Curry, Danny Green, Shake Milton, Dwight Howard, almost traded for Harden. 

Bucks got Jrue, DiVincenzo has developed nicely, Portis is playing well in the second unit, they went out to get DJ Augustin.

No one is saying the Nuggets have to spend big in free agency or make huge trades. It’s great that they’re so great at building through the draft. But you can’t keep touring out the same aging players with the same roles in the same schemes and expect the result to be different. 

Coaches get replaced all the time for doing that. Casey in Toronto, Mark Jackson from the Warriors, and I’m sure there are many other examples. Regular season success and developing stars doesn’t make a coach good. 

The big difference that people forget is Denver is still super young. They made a big play for Jrue (on more than one occasion) but Jokic, Jamal, and MPJ are all under 25 and under contract for multiple years. It’s not like the Clippers who absolutely have to go all-in now and they don’t have the luxury of being in LA or Miami markets. 

The playoff team before last was the youngest in league history and then they made the conference finals the following season. They’re developing fine. Malone isn’t in the top tier of coaches but he’s good and has improved every single year. Will it be someone else to get them over the top? Maybe, but getting a new coach that works out is far from a sure thing. He’s slow to make adjustments but they usually do eventually happen. You don’t come back from down 3-1 let alone twice if you’re too stubborn to change.

MPJ is an elite talent and I think should start but the last four games he’s been in foul trouble or there’s been other reasons he hasn’t played more.  The current starting lineup is their best statistical lineup. That can change but all this stuff is nuanced and like 80% of the posts in this thread are like from a team Facebook page.  Just fantasy tunnel vision lol. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Btw, is it a bad thing to keep rolling with    the  same guys and get better  every year?

Was it a bad thing  for the Warriors to move on from David Lee so Draymond Green could play?

Was it a bad thing for the Warriors to move on from Harrison Barnes to make room for KD?

Was it bad for the Warriors to move Iggy to the bench?

Was it a bad thing for the Raptors to move on from DeRozan to get Leonard?

Was it a bad thing for the Nuggets to move on from Nurkic to make room for Jokic?

Was it bad for the Celtics to move on from the Big Three?

Was it a bad thing for the Raptors to move on from Dwayne Casey?

You right, the Nuggets should be content being the same fake contender that gets embarrassed by championship caliber teams every year in the playoffs. If they’re lucky, they’ll be the next Dame-era Blazers.

Edited by claptondecheeks
10 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Was it a bad thing  for the Warriors to move on from David Lee so Draymond Green could play?

Was it a bad thing for the Warriors to move on from Harrison Barnes to make room for KD?

Was it bad for the Warriors to move Iggy to the bench?

Was it a bad thing for the Raptors to move on from DeRozan to get Leonard?

Was it a bad thing for the Nuggets to move on from Nurkic to make room for Jokic?

Was it bad for the Celtics to move on from the Big Three?

Was it a bad thing for the Raptors to move on from Dwayne Casey?

You right, the Nuggets should be content being the same fake contender that gets embarrassed by championship caliber teams every year in the playoffs. If they’re lucky, they’ll be the next Dame-era Blazers.

To be fair you can pick the team that won any year and just say, was it a bad thing for ........ To trade .......... Lol

Also all those points you made are with the benefit of hindsight. And with the benefit of hindsight on the last 21 nuggets game. Mpj playing more makes the nuggets lose more.

I don't think any of the people arguing against mpj think he's gonna be a bad defender forever, or isn't an amazing prospect, they're defending a coach whose getting ripped by fantasy 'experts' while still acknowledging he's definitely not the best or among the best coaches in the league. But he's been the one in charge during their change from losers to winners.

Until mpj works on his def with the still substantial amount of minutes he's getting, he ain't gonna be it. 

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, srb said:

The big difference that people forget is Denver is still super young. They made a big play for Jrue (on more than one occasion) but Jokic, Jamal, and MPJ are all under 25 and under contract for multiple years. It’s not like the Clippers who absolutely have to go all-in now and they don’t have the luxury of being in LA or Miami markets. 

The playoff team before last was the youngest in league history and then they made the conference finals the following season. They’re developing fine. Malone isn’t in the top tier of coaches but he’s good and has improved every single year. Will it be someone else to get them over the top? Maybe, but getting a new coach that works out is far from a sure thing. He’s slow to make adjustments but they usually do eventually happen. You don’t come back from down 3-1 let alone twice if you’re too stubborn to change.

MPJ is an elite talent and I think should start but the last four games he’s been in foul trouble or there’s been other reasons he hasn’t played more.  The current starting lineup is their best statistical lineup. That can change but all this stuff is nuanced and like 80% of the posts in this thread are like from a team Facebook page.  Just fantasy tunnel vision lol. 

Right, their window will be open for a couple of more years but salaries are already costing them key championship pieces like Grant and Beasley. 

I guess a pretty good example is the pre-KD Warriors. They moved on from David Lee in favor of Draymond Green, at a time when David Lee was a key piece of the team’s core and a leader. It was a tough decision but it was the right call. 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, TheBigSlick said:

To be fair you can pick the team that won any year and just say, was it a bad thing for ........ To trade .......... Lol

Also all those points you made are with the benefit of hindsight. And with the benefit of hindsight on the last 21 nuggets game. Mpj playing more makes the nuggets lose more.

I don't think any of the people arguing against mpj think he's gonna be a bad defender forever, or isn't an amazing prospect, they're defending a coach whose getting ripped by fantasy 'experts' while still acknowledging he's definitely not the best or among the best coaches in the league. But he's been the one in charge during their change from losers to winners.

Until mpj works on his def with the still substantial amount of minutes he's getting, he ain't gonna be it. 

Right. Mine and everyone else’s argument is that he needs to let MPJ play all the mins he can and let him work through the struggles so he can improve more quickly. 

And sure, making moves doesn’t always work. The Lakers kept spinning their wheels making moves for years and never really got better. They’re lucky they signed LeBron or they’d suck right now. But you gotta try something if you’re not winning it all. No one wants to end up like the Blazers- always in the playoffs but not a serious contender. 

6 minutes ago, iowncrazyhair said:

Murray questionable to play tom @ sac, if he sits mpj has a chance to shine & i’m ready to get stressed again. 

no way, its morris time......

Im’a snap . Someone in Denver go slap Malone upside the head.

And MPJ is an idiot . I blame him too. What type of moron twice goes on Covid protocol .. out basically 3 weeks chasing some kooz.

He was KILLNG IT , prior to that.

Who gives a flying F he sucks on defense. Score 160 and win the game. Tired of that argument. 

Plenty of great players sucks nuts on D. Trae young, Harden, Irving, even Joker himself.

You don’t learn good defensive tendencies on the sidelines. 

It’s hilarious all these bums getting minutes over him. 

It boggles my mind really. To leave a talent like that on the bench.

And let’s all be honest here, with or without MPJ , Denver aint doing squat in the playoffs. Might as well let the youngster play, even if they lose games.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Right, their window will be open for a couple of more years but salaries are already costing them key championship pieces like Grant and Beasley. 

I guess a pretty good example is the pre-KD Warriors. They moved on from David Lee in favor of Draymond Green, at a time when David Lee was a key piece of the team’s core and a leader. It was a tough decision but it was the right call. 

Beasley is absolutely not a championship piece and was awful his last year in Denver and they matched Grant’s offer. 

Look for every David Lee or Steve Kerr there’s the other side. Let’s take Denver again...remember when they fired perennial first-round-out coach George Karl for the up and coming coach that every fan across the league wanted in Brian Shaw and he was the worst coach in franchise history and they threw away two years? 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

Right. Mine and everyone else’s argument is that he needs to let MPJ play all the mins he can and let him work through the struggles so he can improve more quickly. 

And sure, making moves doesn’t always work. The Lakers kept spinning their wheels making moves for years and never really got better. They’re lucky they signed LeBron or they’d suck right now. But you gotta try something if you’re not winning it all. No one wants to end up like the Blazers- always in the playoffs but not a serious contender. 

As a team though these guys are way better than Portland have ever been and at a way younger age. With the luxury of having an untapped mpj. I see the comparison but their potential seems way better then Portland's ever was/has been. Plus nuggets play a style suited way better to the modern nba than Portland's forever put it in dames hands and get outta the way system. Mpj unlike dame could be a way better defender imo. But if he was to remain the way he is defensively right now and given the kinda usage dame has, he would have a similar career I reckon. Ringless. 

Given the tough west like I mentioned before and the nuggets great situation of being able to be very successful right now without unlocking mpj giving him the current minutes he's getting is ideal. They're 4th... With potential to improve. They still want to make playoffs and I can only assume secure the highest seed possible. So balancing wins while still giving mpj a solid amount of minutes to learn is ideal for them. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, srb said:

Beasley is absolutely not a championship piece and was awful his last year in Denver and they matched Grant’s offer. 

Look for every David Lee or Steve Kerr there’s the other side. Let’s take Denver again...remember when they fired perennial first-round-out coach George Karl for the up and coming coach that every fan across the league wanted in Brian Shaw and he was the worst coach in franchise history and they threw away two years? 

You’re absolutely right. There are way more failures than they are successes, but that’s why is so hard to win a championship. 

And Grant’s an example of bad coaching by Malone. Why pigeonhole him like that? I understand loyalty, but Malone should’ve featured Grant over Barton and Millsap last year. If he had and he’d made him feel valuable, they’d still have him now. 

11 minutes ago, TheBigSlick said:

As a team though these guys are way better than Portland have ever been and at a way younger age. With the luxury of having an untapped mpj. I see the comparison but their potential seems way better then Portland's ever was/has been. Plus nuggets play a style suited way better to the modern nba than Portland's forever put it in dames hands and get outta the way system. Mpj unlike dame could be a way better defender imo. But if he was to remain the way he is defensively right now and given the kinda usage dame has, he would have a similar career I reckon. Ringless. 

Given the tough west like I mentioned before and the nuggets great situation of being able to be very successful right now without unlocking mpj giving him the current minutes he's getting is ideal. They're 4th... With potential to improve. They still want to make playoffs and I can only assume secure the highest seed possible. So balancing wins while still giving mpj a solid amount of minutes to learn is ideal for them. 

You’re also right, but to surpass the Blazers in terms of achievements, the Nuggets gotta realize that potential. As of right now, they’re just spinning their wheels this year. 

12 minutes ago, claptondecheeks said:

You’re absolutely right. There are way more failures than they are successes, but that’s why is so hard to win a championship. 

And Grant’s an example of bad coaching by Malone. Why pigeonhole him like that? I understand loyalty, but Malone should’ve featured Grant over Barton and Millsap last year. If he had and he’d made him feel valuable, they’d still have him now. 

You’re also right, but to surpass the Blazers in terms of achievements, the Nuggets gotta realize that potential. As of right now, they’re just spinning their wheels this year. 

If they were to win a championship in the 22-23 season they would be starting about the same time warriors did with the age of their core group. Win now is great but everyone's acting like it's win this year otherwise bust and blow it all up and start again with mpj being the main piece with a coach willing to play him 36mpg. 

Becoming a championship team and creating a dynasty doesnt happen over night. And if mpj some how got his ish together this year and they win it all this season, it would be an outlier for something like that from someone his age. 

2nd year player being held to 25mpg because he can't play defense is not reason enough to say nuggets coaching and organisation is dumb, especially of the back of a wcf birth

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Supersonics said:

Wouldn’t that be awful if Bagley shut him down 😂😂

only guy capable of shutting him down is michael jor...i mean malone

• Haha 2