NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

Anybody who says MPJ deserves unconditional playing time needs to rewatch the Kings game.  He was getting absolutely torched on d.  Harrison Barnes made MPJ and Millsap his 'female dogs'.

The Nuggets roster as it stands is just bad.  MPJ and Millsap can't play together and almost nobody on this team is a genuinely good defender outside of Harris and even he has regressed.  Jokic deserves better than this trash.

I forgot to mention J Green is decent but then you've got 3 guys in Green, Millsap, MPJ who need to play next to Jokic but also cannot play on the wing.  The loss of Grant + Craig will plague this team the entire season.

Edited by ComeOnAndSlam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got bored and made this during halftime while watching MPJ's riveting game tonight.

F***** stud

Fantasy sports is like a visit to the Toy Store. The newest brightest shiniest toys are often favored over the highly dependable standard toys. There is a reason Monopoly, Barbie and the Slinkie have

Posted Images

10 hours ago, eladamrine said:

Seems to confirm that Mike Malone is not happy with MPJ. Not happy with his effort?

Well we knew that already. And he was abysmal yesterday, probably worse than ever. But what happened after the game with all this talk about him, the fact that Porter himself is so disappointed with his performance on defense i think is a step in right direction. Obviously he cares so now he needs to get better game by game. More reps will do the job since he understands the issue.

Malone needs to suck it up and let MPJ sink or swim, if they don't unlock MPJ they are stuck in 2nd round exit territory anyways.  Porter's always going to be a tweener on D, too weak to play 4 and too slow to guard 3s - he'd look great next to a Jerami Grant or Harrison on Barnes if other defensive pieces were there but there are just too many weak chains in their defense.

Not sure, but it's a huge conundrum and a large part is roster construction - hopefully the FO just puts out a mandate.  I think Nuggets missed out on opportunities to consolidate their pieces, right now their best bet is probably just trying to overwhelm the opponents with their offense.

13 hours ago, Boogie Buckets said:

This is gonna be such a juicy buy low, these minutes are enticing MPJ is too good to not make use of it if he gets this opportunity 

In dynasty leagues, sure. In re-drafts no way. Half of the Nuggets team was out hence he got his opportunity and put up a clunker. Problem is once they are all back, he will be back on the bench and be playing minutes in the teens.

was standing at the 3 point line like a pylon waiting for someone to dish him the ball and on defense he's so flat footed. got taken out with 5 mins left in 4th q because wasn't doing much to help the team. continues to dig his own grave. But im sure he'll be fine by the end of the season, just completely lost at the moment I don't see how he gets full mins when the team is healthy at this rate. 

12 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

image.png.c0b8edf079ffc5f0007d9c0ac443c945.png

Free MPJ! How many of Murray's 17 shots were good shots? lol Mike Malone has to be one of the most overrated coaches in the NBA. 

You can tell after that shot, Jokic is like “cmon man really”. MPJ is not at the level yet to jack up shots like Murray. 

26 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

You can tell after that shot, Jokic is like “cmon man really”. MPJ is not at the level yet to jack up shots like Murray. 

I get that the Nuggets need a scapegoat for being 8th in the conference on a losing streak. It was the same way when Jokic was a rookie and they had Nurk, Mike Malone plays favorites and it creates the team to mirror his actions. I get MPJ has been inconsistent this season, especially after coming back from Covid. But this Nuggets team as a whole has also been inconsistent in their play. Murray hasn't been the same player as in the bubble because of the combination of injuries/confidence. Barton also has not been the same player as last season, his numbers are down across all categories. Milsap is a year older, but they were forced to sign him after losing Grant and are trying to replace Grant's/Plumlee's production with JaMychal Green.This is not the same team as last season when they went to the Conference Finals. They lost a lot of key bench/role players (Plumlee(defensive boards/out of position playmaker/Craig (low usage wing defender)and a key starter who knew their role, Jerami Grant (2nd/3rd option). However after a loss, who's the one getting all the blame from the team leaders?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

I get that the Nuggets need a scapegoat for being 8th in the conference on a losing streak. It was the same way when Jokic was a rookie and they had Nurk, Mike Malone plays favorites and it creates the team to mirror his actions. I get MPJ has been inconsistent this season, especially after coming back from Covid. But this Nuggets team as a whole has also been inconsistent in their play. Murray hasn't been the same player as in the bubble because of the combination of injuries/confidence. Barton also has not been the same player as last season, his numbers are down across all categories. Milsap is a year older, but they were forced to sign him after losing Grant and are trying to replace Grant's/Plumlee's production with JaMychal Green.This is not the same team as last season when they went to the Conference Finals. They lost a lot of key bench/role players (Plumlee(defensive boards/out of position playmaker/Craig (low usage wing defender)and a key starter who knew their role, Jerami Grant (2nd/3rd option). However after a loss, who's the one getting all the blame from the team leaders?

Exactly. Last year they got major contributions  from guys no longer on the team and guys who have regressed in a big way. They need to replace that production and they’re holding their breath that guys will turn it around and that JaMychal Green will be enough. Wrong. They need MPJ to take that next step and become an offensive force. 

They’re focusing on defense and at some point they just gotta admit that that ain’t it for them.

I see this in a pretty simple way. 

Nuggets are not contenders (like they were not last year) unless they manage to convert MPJ into a semi-star at least. 

So far, it has not been succesful. However, it might be their best card to play.  

On 2/9/2021 at 11:00 PM, DezedandConfused said:

Murray has been terrible for what he needs to be and what he is paid to be. But I haven't seen same effort in criticising his terrible year. You would assume it's all because of MPJ.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the entire team was on board yesterday and that they finally realized what we’ve been saying all along. Malone got him the ball, the entire team looked for him, and MPJ was more patient with the ball + focus on defense. Marine praised him after the game that he had a complete game and since he’s had a hard on for defense this entire time, maybe he’ll keep rewarding him now. 

• Like 1

🙄 People in here begged for him to start and get more PT and fail to acknowledge the fact its coinciding with the nuggets starting to lose more again, as continually mentioned throughout this thread.

This guy's lucky to see over 20 minutes without fixing his defense. Considering how defense is more of a mental barrier to get through it's not boding well for his short term future. 

If they lose to the point guard less, SGAless okc today it'll be laughable.

IDC if jokic can't defend, barton can't defend, Millsap is washed, murray isn't efficient like mpj. If they win more when mpj sees less minutes and starts from the bench, there ain't no argument to be had right now

6 minutes ago, TheBigSlick said:

🙄 People in here begged for him to start and get more PT and fail to acknowledge the fact its coinciding with the nuggets starting to lose more again, as continually mentioned throughout this thread.

This guy's lucky to see over 20 minutes without fixing his defense. Considering how defense is more of a mental barrier to get through it's not boding well for his short term future. 

If they lose to the point guard less, SGAless okc today it'll be laughable.

IDC if jokic can't defend, barton can't defend, Millsap is washed, murray isn't efficient like mpj. If they win more when mpj sees less minutes and starts from the bench, there ain't no argument to be had right now

although hes been much better on defense these last two games, i would agree...but i still dont understand how people dont look at murray whos been dogshit this whole season shooting 43% and 34% and outplayed almost every night at hos position...if anything, denver cut the lead in the third thanks to mpj since he was the only guy who could score