NBC Sports Edge Forums

Michael Porter Jr. 2020-2021 Outlook

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got bored and made this during halftime while watching MPJ's riveting game tonight.

F***** stud

Fantasy sports is like a visit to the Toy Store. The newest brightest shiniest toys are often favored over the highly dependable standard toys. There is a reason Monopoly, Barbie and the Slinkie have

Posted Images

All aboard! 18 team H2H league - was able to grab him at pick 50 (picked 14th in a snake) which I understand will draw a lot of flak here 😁

Was looking for a scorer with high %s at that point in the draft (by then the 3rd round) and McCollum, Middleton, Hayward, DLo were already taken. I was considering Jaylen Brown here but his FT% put me off. 

For better or for worse, all aboard this hype train this year haha. Let's go! Please Malone, give this guy 30mpg. Hopefully MPJ goes into the season with a defense first mindset which should be his calling card to stay on the floor. If Barton is coming back, should that leave MPJ to start at the 4? Will Jam Green be starting over him?

Edited by SicarioSanity
12 hours ago, SicarioSanity said:

All aboard! 18 team H2H league - was able to grab him at pick 50 (picked 14th in a snake) which I understand will draw a lot of flak here 😁

Was looking for a scorer with high %s at that point in the draft (by then the 3rd round) and McCollum, Middleton, Hayward, DLo were already taken. I was considering Jaylen Brown here but his FT% put me off. 

For better or for worse, all aboard this hype train this year haha. Let's go! Please Malone, give this guy 30mpg. Hopefully MPJ goes into the season with a defense first mindset which should be his calling card to stay on the floor. If Barton is coming back, should that leave MPJ to start at the 4? Will Jam Green be starting over him?

Honestly I think that’s where he should go. And I’d take him ahead of some of the guys you mentioned. The upside is huge. I really think he’s gonna break out.

I took him in the 5th round and I'm already questioning if it was a smart move. The high could be 2019 Ingram but he could still very well be 1 year away. I fear he will end up getting like 18-20 minutes a night and we'll all be here calling Malone a bum for not playing him.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, ILuvABGs said:

I fear he will end up getting like 18-20 minutes a night

No way. Nuggets seem ridiculously high on him and he already showed he's a walking bucket. I can't see a scenario where he gets less than 30 a night.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ILuvABGs said:

I took him in the 5th round and I'm already questioning if it was a smart move. The high could be 2019 Ingram but he could still very well be 1 year away. I fear he will end up getting like 18-20 minutes a night and we'll all be here calling Malone a bum for not playing him.

5th round picks bust all the time. If Porter Jr. plays out like he might could be a mid 2nd next year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pushaZ said:

5th round picks bust all the time. If Porter Jr. plays out like he might could be a mid 2nd next year.

Almost all of last years 5th round guys were great. Typical 5th round guys were Tatum, Lowry, Lavine, Murray, Mccollum, Jonas, SGA. Sometimes Draymond or Bledsoe will fall to 5th round and even tho they flopped they were still top 100. I'd much rather take a chance on more reliable 5th round guys.

There's also no way he cracks the top 24 since it's so stacked. Heck, Vucevic is mid 2nd and there's no way MPJ will come close to his rebound and assists totals. He will probably put up 5th round value, but there's a good chance he wont either. There's no way he puts up those bubble stats with the team at full strength. Best case scenario would be 18, 8, 2 threes, 50 fg%, 80 ft%, with .9 stls, .8 blks. This is my best case scenario for him though so i think he fails to reach that. 

Edited by jay_00
26 minutes ago, jay_00 said:

Almost all of last years 5th round guys were great. Typical 5th round guys were Tatum, Lowry, Lavine, Murray, Mccollum, Jonas, SGA. Sometimes Draymond or Bledsoe will fall to 5th round and even tho they flopped they were still top 100. I'd much rather take a chance on more reliable 5th round guys.

There's also no way he cracks the top 24 since it's so stacked. Heck, Vucevic is mid 2nd and there's no way MPJ will come close to his rebound and assists totals. He will probably put up 5th round value, but there's a good chance he wont either. There's no way he puts up those bubble stats with the team at full strength. Best case scenario would be 18, 8, 2 threes, 50 fg%, 80 ft%, with .9 stls, .8 blks. This is my best case scenario for him though so i think he fails to reach that. 

Oddly enough I think that’s pretty close to what he will average next year. 

7 hours ago, ILuvABGs said:

I feel the same in the regard that he still feels like being 1 year away from being a 2nd rounder. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like I've gambled on too many early draft picks in my past and it has backfired on me every time. If he was a clear number 1 option (maybe number 2), I would gladly try gambling on him. But the small sample size + hype makes me scared.

• Like 1

Not sure what to make of MPJ either...

The upside is definitely there....but so is Jokic, Murray and Will Barton.

Feels like it's going to be tough for him to carve out consistent every-night value. If any one of those guys gets hurt, then it's full steam ahead.

But I don't think we're going to see him averaging 16 PPG + if all 3 of Jokic, Murray and Barton are all healthy.

6 hours ago, ghostofathousand_ said:

I know it’s pre season. But So far looking like there’s too many mouths to feed in Denver smh. Hope I’m wrong. He just doesn’t look aggressive.

It’s preseason. Joker took the same amount of shots. Lots of guys who won’t be in the rotation are getting run. Wouldn’t overreact. 

On 12/11/2020 at 6:32 AM, Fry said:

MPJ and Tobias Harris have similar ADP on Yahoo. Their expected stats are also quite close. I would rather pick more proven Harris. 

What in God's green Earth would possess someone to pick MPJ over Harris?  Harris is truly BEST case scenario for MPJ, and even that is a humungous reach imo.  People that reach like that for players over truly proven and consistent and dependable players like Harris are legit worse than noobs who would draft someone like Blake Griffin cause they saw him win the dunk contest a decade ago.

I like MPJ right around 80.

Edited by sld12
5 hours ago, sld12 said:

What in God's green Earth would possess someone to pick MPJ over Harris?  Harris is truly BEST case scenario for MPJ, and even that is a humungous reach imo.  People that reach like that for players over truly proven and consistent and dependable players like Harris are legit worse than noobs who would draft someone like Blake Griffin cause they saw him win the dunk contest a decade ago.

I like MPJ right around 80.

I don’t think harris is a best case scenario.  Harris might score more next season, but MPJ is a significantly better rebounder. And also shoots near 50% FG. Then there’s the defensive stats where harris doesn’t help much, while MPJ averaged similar defensive stats to harris in half the minutes last season. I would expect MPJ to average close to 16/8 next year with 48+ FG and close to one steal one block per game. That line I would take over Harris. 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I don’t think harris is a best case scenario.  Harris might score more next season, but MPJ is a significantly better rebounder. And also shoots near 50% FG. Then there’s the defensive stats where harris doesn’t help much, while MPJ averaged similar defensive stats to harris in half the minutes last season. I would expect MPJ to average close to 16/8 next year with 48+ FG and close to one steal one block per game. That line I would take over Harris. 

Good stuff mate.

+ Depends what your looking for as well.

A fun high upside player or a boring seasoned vet. 

The safe logical pick is Harris tho. With Horford now gone too.

1 hour ago, RunCMC said:

Good stuff mate.

+ Depends what your looking for as well.

A fun high upside player or a boring seasoned vet. 

The safe logical pick is Harris tho. With Horford now gone too.

Yeah it definitely depends on how risk averse you are. Normally I tend to go for the safer option, but MPJ just passes the eye test for me haha

12 hours ago, popsmensahbonsu said:

MPJ came off the bench today with Barton starting. Will this guy ever get a featured role?

MPJ is going have fantasy impact this season. That being said the fact that coach is not completely sold on starting him caps his upside a little bit. He's currently being drafted in the 50-60s range. While I think he have potential producing such value 28-30min off the bench, it's just hard minutes wise for a bench wing to crack in the top 50. He's have to play perhaps 33-35min which he really needs to be starting.

I'd pick him up in the 60-70 mark but drafting in 50s is drafting his ceiling in this current scenario.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah it definitely depends on how risk averse you are. Normally I tend to go for the safer option, but MPJ just passes the eye test for me haha

Ohh we're on the same train.

I'm very high on MPJ , got a few rookie cards of his as well. 

• Like 1